Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom/Bespoke Exhausts

1. Default

Free flowing backboxes don't necessarily make power. In fact, the loud Supersprint on my CSL gave less power. The best gain was removing the cats and silencers before the backbox.

IMO, the GT Rom exhausts are easily the best sounding for the NSX, so would love a replica of that now they are out of business. I do believe they are deliberately restrictive in order to perform the Ferrari-esque wail and gurgle on the overrun though.
    '02 Honda NSX [Garage Queen]
    '17 Huracan Performante [Weekend Car]
    '19 Porsche Macan [Daily]

Sudesh, it would be interesting to see what the finish article looks, sounds and perform like in terms of BHP gains. I'm still deciding on & off about changing my oem set up.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Fenn View Post
    Free flowing backboxes don't necessarily make power. In fact, the loud Supersprint on my CSL gave less power. The best gain was removing the cats and silencers before the backbox.

IMO, the GT Rom exhausts are easily the best sounding for the NSX, so would love a replica of that now they are out of business. I do believe they are deliberately restrictive in order to perform the Ferrari-esque wail and gurgle on the overrun though.
    No exhaust "makes" power guys please!!!

GT Ron v1 and v2 similart to the Dali one Sudesh posted are in a way very similar and do release power. Do not forget about scavenging, resonance turbulence, velocity, flow and exhaust pulse.

Something that happens is that the way the power is delivered might be different, in other words move the tq higher up.

Here was mine standard and with the Procar intake and GTLW exhaust

Very similar to this graph from SOS on the GTLW:

If you take the cats out you will notice what I meant about TQ.

Also the OEM manifolds even the SS are not the same as headers in flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Mark is this they type of thing you mean?

Yes exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Fenn View Post
    Possible but unsual, free flowing IS good.

Are you saying that changing the back box after removing the cats and pre back box silencers lsot power?

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Something that happens is that the way the power is delivered might be different, in other words move the tq higher up.
    Indeed, my Dali RR system makes bigger gains, pro-rata, in the mid range than at the top end.

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Also the OEM manifolds even the SS are not the same as headers in flow.
    The term "header" is of course just what our American cousins refer to tubular exhaust manifolds as

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

I know they are the same but on NSX speak people normally call the OEM manifolds manifolds and the aftermarket manifolds headers.

We can call them extractors too to add more confusion to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Mark is this they type of thing you mean?

Is there really a need for this tought when ARK, Dali, Etc can be had soo much cheaper and they already made?

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    I'm not a guru but it would be good to make one that avoided boom in the cabin at 2000rpm, is durable, lighter, and most importantly, gives more power. Cost isn't such an issue IMO
    The problem is that your GTLW's piping is too thin as in the wall thickness and the box quite small.

On some Yacths a thermal/sound insulation jacket is used to wrap the mufflers/ exhaust pipes. It decreases resonance You might be able to find one of this at a marine store. and customize it to your car. Not very good if you drive it when is wet as it might trap some water, but it will absorb a lot of resonance.

Here is something similar:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hp_armor.php

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast