Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 02 Yellow With Mods

Never been a fan of yellow interiors myself, but that car will kick some serious NA NSX behinds tasteless interior and all!

Not sure overall? I don't like the red seats with the yellow. I do like the black Volks tho! If I am mistaken is that a red starter button in place of the cigarette lighter?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

The daft rear spoiler and nasty door mirrors ruin it externally and the yellow trim panels do the same for the interior. Wheels and brakes look tasty though

Presumably it only needs the brake balancer because the rear brakes haven't been upgraded to the same degree as the fronts?

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by markc; 07-03-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    The older I get, the faster I was

Err...what's a brake balancer?...(don't just say it's for balancing the brake!!)

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    The daft rear spoiler and nasty door mirrors ruin it externally

Cheers

Mark
    Is a case of function over Bling Bling!

An good friend of my father in law who is an expert in Aerospace Engineering Sciences and Astrodynamics and consults for NASA, had a good look at my car and agreed on the settings and shape of my Sorcery rear wing and my custom undertray.

I know you are knowledgeable Mark, but I take his oppinion over yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    Err...what's a brake balancer?...(don't just say it's for balancing the brake!!)

SS
    A device to control the pressure between the front and rear brake circuits. Used so that you can vary the amount of brake force between the front and rear of the car.

Usually it's a variable valve placed in the hydraulic brake line running to the rear of the car. Using the knob on top of the valve you can open or close it to control the pressure to the rear calipers.

Race cars have them so that the driver car change the brake balance as the fuel load (therefore weight) comes down which affects the cars weight distribution.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers Mark,

Learn a new fact everyday!

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Is a case of function over Bling Bling!
    I very much doubt it in this case, it's a road car not a race car.

An good friend of my father in law who is an expert in Aerospace Engineering Sciences and Astrodynamics and consults for NASA, had a good look at my car and agreed on the settings and shape of my Sorcery rear wing and my custom undertray.

I know you are knowledgeable Mark, but I take his oppinion over yours.
    It may well produce downforce in isolation i.e. as a standalone thing in a windtunnel, but does it really make a noticable differance on a road driven NSX? We've all seen similar looking wings adorning Saxos, Astras (even Transits ) etc and I guarantee they function as standalone wings but I would suggest they're very rarely there for anything other than show.

The simple facts are that a wing profile will always generate lift, if you turn it upside down you get downforce. Because the side profile of a car is wing-like, all cars tend to generate lift. Spoilers and wings are added to reduce that lift... and remember that the standard NSX already has a rear wing. Smoothing the cars underbody, to speed up the airflow under the car, will also reduce lift. I suspect you are getting more benefit from your flat floor than the rear wing.

I'm not saying that huge rear wings like this don't work, I just think they're a sledgehammer to crack a nut... unless you're racing.

Eventually I'd like to fit the NSX-R (NA1) like front and rear floors and maybe a better diffuser, but that will be the extent of my aero mods. I know that Senninha and Greenberet have done this, the latter to significant effect on his famous top speed runs

Cheers

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I very much doubt it in this case, it's a road car not a race car.

It may well produce downforce in isolation i.e. as a standalone thing in a windtunnel, but does it really make a noticable differance on a road driven NSX? We've all seen similar looking wings adorning Saxos, Astras (even Transits ) etc and I guarantee they function as standalone wings but I would suggest they're very rarely there for anything other than show.

The simple facts are that a wing profile will always generate lift, if you turn it upside down you get downforce. Because the side profile of a car is wing-like, all cars tend to generate lift. Spoilers and wings are added to reduce that lift... and remember that the standard NSX already has a rear wing. Smoothing the cars underbody, to speed up the airflow under the car, will also reduce lift. I suspect you are getting more benefit from your flat floor than the rear wing.

I'm not saying that huge rear wings like this don't work, I just think they're a sledgehammer to crack a nut... unless you're racing.

Eventually I'd like to fit the NSX-R (NA1) like front and rear floors and maybe a better diffuser, but that will be the extent of my aero mods. I know that Senninha and Greenberet have done this, the latter to significant effect on his famous top speed runs

Cheers

Mark
    Mark IIRC the NA1 R did not have the same aero as the NA2R.

I think is more of a synergistic effect whre the sum of the wing and floor is greater than either alone. I have had to increase the lenght of the trunk stops as when going high speeds the wing has moved down enough to chip a little paint from the edges of the rear wings. I tell you at high speeds, the ducted bonnet, radiator duct, undertray and wing really make the car feel stuck to the road so much more than any other NSX I have driven.

Cheers,

AR

Mark IIRC the NA1 R did not have the same aero as the NA2R.
    I thought the NA1 R had a front undertray AND a rear undertray (under the fuel tank ahead of the engine) while the NA2 only had the front one? The NA1 R has the standard bonnet and rear wing so could be even slipperier (lower drag) than a +02 non R NSX.

I think is more of a synergistic effect whre the sum of the wing and floor is greater than either alone. I have had to increase the lenght of the trunk stops as when going high speeds the wing has moved down enough to chip a little paint from the edges of the rear wings. I tell you at high speeds, the ducted bonnet, radiator duct, undertray and wing really make the car feel stuck to the road so much more than any other NSX I have driven.

Cheers,

AR
    I suspect the two are indeed additive (1+1=2) but it's unlikely that one actually enhances the other (1+1=3). It's possible but it'd be more luck than judgement.

I believe the ducted bonnet is for cooling aero rather than downforce aero. If you seal off the front underfloor the air passing through the radiator has fewer places to go so the car could overheat in extreme conditions, hence Honda put the duct in the bonnet. The bonnet and raised rear wing of the NA2 R conspire to increase overall drag according to Honda. All other things being equal the flatter underfloor should lower drag so the other 2 changes must add more drag that the floor reduces it.

Cheers

Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast