Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacking up the rear end?

Question Jacking up the rear end?

I want to jack up the whole rear end so I can get it onto axle stands and start to diagnose an odd sound I've got. Jacking via the side points isn't really an option, as my garage is too narrow to allow sufficient access to both sides.

On my old 200sx, I used to be able to jack directly onto the rear diff, which was very convenient.

Is there a similar point available on the NSX?
    1993 Honda NSX
    1999 Lotus Elise 111s

Tom,
    You misunderstand the problem/solution, the car has 6 jacking points, they are there for a purpose.
    If your garage is too narrow, the answer is to widen the garage or to lie in the snow outside.
    Sorry,
    Duncan

Blog Entries

Hi, Tom_.

Not sure about the exact size and design/layout of your garage but if your garage width is wide enough to clear both door mirrors and if you can get out of your NSX by opening the door, then you should be able to swing the rear end of your NSX to get enough space on both side to utilise the small scissor jack which is in your boot. It's also made out of aluminium.

You can also consider using the ramps but I guess you want to have your rear wheels in the air...
    The noise could be from your heat shield, drive shaft, aftermarket suspension, A/C compressor idle pulley, etc and I hope it is nothing serious.

I hope you can find enough space to work on your NSX as I would like to see many owners working on their own NSX.
    If you need any support or if you can't find any other safe options, then please send me an email or PM so that you can visit my place for the Health Check of your NSX.

Regards,
    Kaz

Thanks, both.

I've got no problem working on a car outside... except for my drive being on too much of a slope, making it impossible. I could jack up a side at a time in the garage, but that's just a pain when all I really want is to just lift the rear end alone, and being able to manipulate both wheels together might be useful. It was so convenient to be able to jack under the diff in the past - I changed many an exhaust like that!

This is what I'm thinking of:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126016

Not sure I like the look of it, though!
    1993 Honda NSX
    1999 Lotus Elise 111s

I would never work on the NSX without using the correct jacking points with a trolly jack and rubber bricks between the trolly jack and car point. Also most important, I would never slide under the car with just the jack holding it up, ALWAYS use axle stand if you dont have a lift.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    I would never work on the NSX without using the correct jacking points with a trolly jack and rubber bricks between the trolly jack and car point.
    Why? Even if there were other points which, anecdotally, people have found were safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Also most important, I would never slide under the car with just the jack holding it up, ALWAYS use axle stand if you dont have a lift.
    That's a no-brainer, but it's also not the point of the question
    1993 Honda NSX
    1999 Lotus Elise 111s

Tom,

Your garage sounds similar to mine, ie limited on width. However, I use a small trolley jack at about 30' angle to the car and lift each side separately. Depending on what I wish to get too, I may need a second lift to raise it higher on the stands as it tips to close to the walls in a single lift.

Probably not the answer you hoped for but it does work and of course you'll be safe!

As its a rear end noise, have you dropped Gsuds a pm as he had a lot of work done by Honda so I'd expect most of it to be well put together.

What type of noise are you getting and when? Where the d/shafts replaced as these can wear and give a clicking type noise?

Hope its nothing serious

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_ View Post
    Why? Even if there were other points which, anecdotally, people have found were safe?

That's a no-brainer, but it's also not the point of the question
    No problem! Good luck then........
    Last edited by Sudesh; 13-01-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

It's somewhere between a 'grind' and a 'sweep'. You hear it as a regularly repeated noise at lower speeds, when its rate is proportional to the road speed. At higher speeds it becomes a continuous harmonic before it's drowned out by the road noise.

When coming to a halt, you hear it defined very clearly - a regular noise during a specific part of the wheels' revolution. It could be a bearing, but I'd be surprised if one had come on so badly, so quickly, as it wasn't there on the test-drive, but appeared on the drive home.

It shouldn't be hard to track down; I just need the rear end lifted!
    1993 Honda NSX
    1999 Lotus Elise 111s

Jacking the car up where it has been in the picture should be fine. If I remember correctly that's where the car is propped up during the MOT with the jack? I'd jack it up the using something in between the jack plate and the car (I use ice-hockey pucks) and then fit the axle-stand at the sill point if it were me....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast