Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what is my next car? 3 choices

Quote Originally Posted by marylebone View Post
    BTW, no offence but we have to be honest here. A N'ring lap time of 8:38 is Golf IV R32 or Merc SL500 time, i.e. slower than Focus RS, Astra VXR, Subaru Impreza (04, vanilla), Audi TTS, Nissan 350Z, BMW 335i, Audi S5, Jag XKR, Lotus Exige S, Lexus IS-F, Merc C63AMG (nevermind Black Series Mercs), and almost every BMW M (even a Z3M roadster from 98), Audi RS, Porsche (even a vanilla Boxster) and Evo (even an evo VI from 1999, nevermind the X), a full 1'12'' slower than the GT-R, etc etc etc. It's practically slower than any decent modern car today. The 13-mile Nordschleife is plenty for any car to show what it's really made of.
    Which are full laps and which are BtG

The 8:38 was a full lap and was in my old car.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Hi,

So Im now into my 4th yr of NSX ownership. A 3.2 Targa with 57k miles. Its had a well serviced history through 4 owners. Its been used to commute, to track to venture into Europe and for most of its life, its enjoyed covering Her Majesty's black top and swift rates of progress.

So whats the relevance of the above within this thread? I frequent the pages and threads of Pistonheads. I attend some of the show n shine brekkie meets. Never does one of these past without people wishing to know about the mysteries of the NSX (as you say, they are hard to find to get that test drive).

However, of more relevance to your concerns are the other PH events I enjoy. These are the ones that attract a variety of the modern machines you refer to on your N'Ring charts. These cars are driven by regular guys and girls who enjoy their motoring. These drives are across the average UK A or B roads, not nice smooth track surfaces (N'Ring excluded). To date, I have always exchanged comments with owners of all manor of modern machines from Italy or Germany. Most are amazed just how well my 'old' NSX can stay with them. However we all agree that braking technology has certainly moved on.

So how does all this address you concerns? It underlines what my friends above have also articulated. Modern cars, loaded with computers to keep them on the road, driven by huge horsepower to carry the extra weight, dont have the chassis balance, compliance or finesse that a well driven NSX can deliver its driver. It will soak up a lot more of the poor quality tarmac we all have to deal with then virtually any modern car, and usually leaves the driver looking far more relaxed and comfortably at the end of an interesting drive.

By comparison to the NSX, I drive an 18 month old Merc with sports rims, modern tyres, advanced ABS and sport computer for the suspension. Using the 'sport' facility does, IMO, disturb the balance of the car as it firms everything up to the point of making the car feel nervous, unsettled and more difficult to drive. In fact, it feels how the owners of the modern cars say their cars feel.

So as suggested, if the NSX really is on your potential ownership list, please put down the magazines, and go find one at a dealership for a drive. And if you cant find one just ask here as I know of one and I'm sure other members here can point you to dealer cars for that test drive you really do need to take. And please be sure to try it over all types of tarmac if possible.

Once you have done this, only then will you start to realise why we are so passionate about the NSX. If its not for you or doesn't excite you after the drive, then I hope the BS delivers what it delivers on paper. And if does, please report back as I'd be very interested in your running report.

Good luck and enjoy the test drives

regards, Paul
    Last edited by Senninha; 28-12-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

marylebone Guest

Cheers. Well written. All I truly care about is that it doesn't drive noticeably worse than the other two (evo X, 55 BS) - if it were just for how the car looks, there's no doubt the NSX is the better of the three. Same goes for the BS, why would I want it if it drives worse? Neither Honda nor Mercedes have ever done anything for me, on the contrary, I have chosen to buy their specific products in a very price-competitive environment. So why not try them all and choose whichever you prefer, regardless of the brand - as Honda users you know that some people wouldn't get close to an NSX simply because of the brand issue.
    Last edited by Unregistered; 29-12-2009 at 03:37 AM.

We're opening pandora's box if we get into modifications so let's just leave that...

I'm not after a jet fighter here but the lap time is that of Merc SL500 and Golf IV R32, and those are not exactly supercars as far as I'm aware. NSXs are not readily available for test drives and the N'ring figures are official times set by professional race drivers in a controlled environment, so I wouldn't readily dismiss these official figures as irrelevant. A few secs up and down doesn't matter, but the difference is quite considerable.

Bottom line is that you have to test drive the car yourself, fully agree, and sorry if I pissed you chaps off, just trying to be honest here. Really like the car but the hard fact is that it is slower, unless the test was carried with the handbrake engaged! It was a marvel when it appeared but let's not expect the unexpectable 20 years on.
    ?)
    This forum has a pretty good spread of membership across the UK, so you shouldn't have a problem getting a test drive if you ask around.
    However, the performance issues you mention makes me think that the NSX is probably not for you. As another member added, if you want something that's good on paper, a GTR is probably the answer.

TBH I think you need to properly read what people are trying to get across in their replies. The NSX has a strong following because it's a great car. No it's not as fast compared to modern stuff. But then nor are it's contemporaries; F355, 360, Porsche 964, 993, 996 and I don't see people scrapping them because they're not cutting edge anymore.

The bottom line is that the average NSX owner doesn't care what's faster and what's slower. They just enjoy a well sorted package that won't let them down and makes them feel good because they have something which feels special.

I had both an earlier 3.0 ltr car and a late 3.2 and they were both fantastic. personally, I'd go for a 3.2 but they're all good.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

marylebone Guest

Thanks for the tips and good luck.
    Last edited by Unregistered; 30-12-2009 at 12:52 PM.

"...and it cost 70 grand, and no one is gonna pay that for a Honda. No matter how hard it tried, it was never a Ferrari, so it's really time this car was shuffled off to the Renault Alpine rest home for retired pleasant supercars, and Honda... move on, build something else. Step away from the NSX." - Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/r-shootout).
    After speaking to the TG team then well.................. lol.

Don't forget, Hammond used to rave on about the 911 until he fell out with it and the same can be said about that with it being time to build something new, yes it has evolved but in reality it's still a squashed beetle...........

As for comparisons with Ferrari's etc again, if you say you haven't driven an NSX then how can you compare. There are quite a few of us on here who are or have been in a position to own pretty much anything they like and overall the NSX will still evoke something special. My particular car went to someone who was fed up of the reliability of Ferrari's and we're not talking about ageing 348's or even 355's.
    The NSX is not going to inspire as much devotion as a prancing horse in most people, however it should certainly spend less time costing £100 plus an hour in the hands of a mechanic.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Just my2p worth....

Evo is straight out of the window without a second glance, it's just a boy racer four door saloon to me that a bafoon could drive fast due to all the electronic aids. It's the same with the GTR, a numpty could drive it around a track faster than an NSX due to all the aids, if they get it wrong it sorts it all out for them.
    That leaves the NSX and SLK BS.

Power isn't everthing, we've done the power car, and yes it's fun in a straight line, but it's not involving. Mash the pedal into the carpet and your eyeballs become part of the headrest. There is no unity with the car.

Ask yourself this. When you walk out of the front door in the morning and look at your car, does it give you a nice feeling inside, do you want to drive it and appreciate its beauty?

With the NSX the answer is yes. It is rare, beautiful, and is a dream to drive weather I'm doing 30mph or x mph on my favorite B road.

SLK? I don't even take a second glance at them as they are so common. Yes it maybe a Black Series, but so many people spec their SLK200's with alloys and body bits who knows what they are? AMG, BS, or just a 200 made to look like a whatever.

Just some food for thought, good look and get a test drive.

Regards Ian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234