Thread: problem engine start when hot

1. Default problem engine start when hot

hello everyone
    im newby from dominican republic thanks for accept me and excuse my english
    my nsx 1992 start properly at morning or when after engine stop cold down first at least 2 hours.
    the problem is when engine hot(normal condition, not overhet) if i try to start inmediatly doesnt work, but if i put a little gasoline on air intake start with no complains.
    thanks

Hi and welcome....

Next time you try to hot start, turn the key till the dash lights are illuminated then wait until the ECL light goes out (after the fuel pump has primed), then turn the key fully to start...I think that may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Hi and welcome....

Next time you try to hot start, turn the key till the dash lights are illuminated then wait until the ECL light goes out (after the fuel pump has primed), then turn the key fully to start...I think that may help you.
    As above, it's always best to wait until the lights on the dash have gone out. If not then I'd suggest getting your car to kaz, could be a main relay issue or fuel pump relay.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsxbavaro View Post
    hello everyone
    im newby from dominican republic thanks for accept me and excuse my english
    my nsx 1992 start properly at morning or when after engine stop cold down first at least 2 hours.
    the problem is when engine hot(normal condition, not overhet) if i try to start inmediatly doesnt work, but if i put a little gasoline on air intake start with no complains.
    thanks
    Hi, nsxbavaro. Welcome to NSXCB.

Not sure your NSX is based in UK as it's been quite cold recently. Went out for a drive in my NSX and the engine/chassis cools down rapidly after parking especially in the snow.

As your NSX is from 92 and if the Main Relay has never been replaced, it is a good idea to replace it as a preventative measure. Main Relay is cheap and 30min job for earlier model. No special tool required.

For later model with DBW, it will require different part number and extra time.

Main Relay controls the power to the ECU, Injectors and Fuel Pump.
    The Starter is in a different electrical circuit.

So, if the Main Relay fails, you can still crank the engine but there will be no fuel nor spark and thus, you can’t fire up the engine.

When you say
    if i try to start inmediatly doesnt work,
    does this mean that you can crank the engine but there was not a single fire-up/combustion at the engine?

When you turn the key to IGN ON position (Lights illuminates on the dash display), can you hear high pitch tone behind the seat for about 2sec? That’s the sound of the fuel pump.

Not sure how you can
    put a little gasoline on air intake
    but if you are having problem with the fuel pump resistor, we can bypass it quite easily for a quick check. But one thing at a time.

Regards,
    Kaz