Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tyres - Avon ZV5?

Default New Tyres - Avon ZV5?

Hi

I thought i'd treat my 1993 car to 4 new tyres. Apparently there is not a huge amount of choice available nowadays for the early model wheel sizes.

As I (and the car) grow older, I'm more happy to forsake out-and-out perforamnce for something that will last a bit longer than my last set of Yokos A-022s.

My favourite tyre dealer has offered me a complete set of Avon ZV5 V rated tyres for £257. Does anyone have any views or experience of the these tyres?

Cheers
    Gary

I would advise against the use of Avon ZV series on the NSX, the ZZ series would be more appropriate if they make a tyre in the correct size.

I don't know if things have changed but the ZV's were usually for run of the mill cars where as the ZZ range was more for the performance range.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

That's dissapointing to hear. I can't see the ZZ listed in the 205/50 15" size so it would appear that's not an option.

Does anyone know if there is any suitable tyre currently available that fits the front and rear wheel sizes of the 1992 NSX?

Cheers
    Gary

Only the Toyo TR-1

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

5. Default

No you can get the KUMHO or Hankook now in W rating for 205 50 15 which I'll be trying next, Michelin bought 10% of Hankook and they have been getting good reviews. I don't like Avon personally.

Oh and I don't like the TOYOs TR-1s I think they are rubbish from my experience.

I've tried Avon ZZ3s 225x45x17 on a GTV 3.0 V6 and now have the ZV5s. I rate these two Avons well, but not sure for an NSX. Think Paul rates the Hankooks highly and I've heard the Toyos sidewalls aren't as stiff as other premium brands?
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 06-12-2009 at 01:13 AM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

I had the ZV3s I think or a similar designation on my OEM NSX wheels whilst I waited for my Volks to arrive. They were no bad and for a budget you can't go wrong as long as you are aware of their limitations.

You are what you wear so bust the bank and get some top tyres. I just forked out 520 euros for 2 back tyres 255 35 18 Michelin Pilot Sport. The previous Pilots lasted me almost 2 years and although not a performance tyre were worth every penny for longevity alone, and so says Gordon Murray.

So far the options would appear to be,

Avon ZV5
    Toyo T1R
    Hankook V12 Evo (K110)
    Kumho KU31

The Avon and Kumho fronts would appear to only be rated to V (149mph) speeds but I wonder if this is really a concern considering the age of these NSXes they would be fitted to. Also would you feel safer in a car with the exact same tyre on each corner (even if the fronts are only V rated) compared to different tyre brands/models on the front/rear axles?

I have two sets of wheels. I wonder if the manufactures would lend me a set of each so I could do some back to back testing?

Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The Avon and Kumho fronts would appear to only be rated to V (149mph) speeds but I wonder if this is really a concern considering the age of these NSXes they would be fitted to.
    Cheers
    Gary
    The cars can, the owners my choiose not to for several reasons!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast