Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Charger/Conditioner

Blog Entries

Default Battery Charger/Conditioner

As I received same question from several people, I thought it would be a good idea to share the same information here.

I’m quite sure some of the members are already using the same/similar products but if you don’t drive your car regularly especially during the winter period, then it is a good idea to use a battery charger/conditioner as long as your battery is not already damaged.

I used to use the expensive one through my business but for private usage, I use AccuMate 6V/12V.

It’s about GBP40.00+VAT and you can find it on several auction sites or through accumate.co.uk.

It comes with 2 different battery connection leads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrocodileConn.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	6404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PermanentConnWithCap.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	6403
    One with crocodile clips for quick connection and the other one with eyelet lugs for permanent attachment to the battery post. It also has fuse block and rubber protective capsule on the connector to the charger.

Once connected, you can leave it even for a few months.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charging.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	6405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullyCharged.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	6406
    --------- Charging --------------------- Charged -------

The good thing about this charger is that it can handle the ‘Gel’ or ‘Glass Mat’ type batteries.

You can’t re-charge these batteries using standard charger and even if you managed to jump start your car fitted with this type of battery, your ACG won’t be able to charge it even after driving the car for several hours.
    As soon as you stop the engine, you won’t be able to start it again.

These batteries are completely different from the standard wet cell battery.

As it is getting colder now and your battery will be working very hard during the winter, I hope this information will help you.

Regards,
    Kaz

I've been using the Honda branded version and had no issues. The NSX is always parked with the alarm primed, both for security and to produce some drain on the battery.

I've hard wired mine and have extended & routed the cables up and under the plastic cover around the wipers. The plug in connector is tucked away near the back of the bonnet to allow connection to the charger with the vehicle all secure.

If I get chance in the week I will post photo's for all to share, in addition to the info from Kaz.

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Used to use an Optimate charger on mine, seemed to work fine. Very useful particularly in winter when the car doesn't get used much.

Optimate for me allso. I found that 4 weeks standing, with the alarm "on" would drain the battery completly. I have hard wired the battery running the wire inside the front compartment with the conector plug tucked behind the registration plate. No more trouble for last 2 winters.

Kaz, how do you rate trickle chargers? I have Draper one and have no problems at all in 3-4 years.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne View Post
    Kaz, how do you rate trickle chargers? I have Draper one and have no problems at all in 3-4 years.
    Has it ever been disconnected??
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Has it ever been disconnected??
    So it's entirely possible for this cars biggest impact on the enviroment to be when parked up than at any other time in it's life???

I use the cheapo Halfords Battery Maintenance Charger (£23.99), which is actually an automatic, multi mode conditioner. In fact I have 3 of them, one for the NSX, one for the CX (Citroen) and one for the Westfield.

In the case of the NSX and CX they're wired in, similar to what indi pearl has done.

I've had 2 of these for several years and the batteries, and therefore cars, are always ready to go at a moments notice... on the increasingly rare moments I seem to use them.

Cheers

Mark

I use the old fashioned technique of driving the car regularly never had a flat battery in 6.5 years and still on the same one. . .

Smile all charged up

can't fault regular use every 7-10 days, charge doesn't take long
    with an alternator, not like the old Mini days on a dynamo.
    The best part of course it's far more fun than pushing a plug into a 13 amp socket on the garage wall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast