Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine coolant

Default engine coolant

Has anybody had any experience or heard anything about Unipart Super Oat?

Thanks Ian

Does it give the car a red glow?

(Answer to your question...nope..sorry)

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

You mean you buy an NSX and then ask about using non Honda parts or fluids? Be off with you.

That's done it for your resale value already. There's no getting back from this now.

It was Kaz who picked up on this when we had our health check done.
    We have just had a 72k service done on the car after we picked her up and Kaz noticed that the coolant was a dirty yellow colour.
    When we enquired with the dealer they replied that they no longer use the Honda fluid, but use super oat as it lasts for five years and is very good for alloy engines.

So hence the original question. Do I flush it all out and replace with Honda, or leave it in?

Thanks Ian

Yellow? Do you mean green?

Personally if you don't know how long that fluid has been in the car then replace it with OEM Honda green antifreeze. I would rather change the coolant every 2 years with OEM Fluid than leave it for 5 years especially as most Nsx'x don't tend to do a lot of annual mileage.

Pete.
    91 Honda Nsx
    90 VW Golf 16v (Track Hack)

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Yellow? Do you mean green?
    No the stuff that the dealer put in just over a month ago is mucky yellow, and they have advised that it is Super Oat.

Blog Entries

Hi, Ian. Thank you for visiting my place the other day.

Ah…. Now I understand why it looked so awful. It was more like gray than dirty yellow.

Originally, I thought your dealer mixed Honda Green and Blue coolant but now it is more likely that they didn’t flush the system thoroughly and unfortunately, they mixed OAT and non-OAT one…

Also, they seem to be not aware of the latest Honda Genuine Coolant Type 2.

Each country has different service interval and as I have never used Honda UK service, I don’t know the latest UK information but in Japan, if it was factory filled with this Type 2 coolant, the service interval is 11years or 200,000km (about 125,000miles) for the first time and then 6 years or 120,000km (about 75,000miles) thereafter.
    I’m quite sure the latest UK service interval for Type 2 coolant would be similar figure such as 5 years or so.

[Edit] Honda Type 2 Coolant is Blue and not Green.

The gray colour of your coolant looked to be the result of debris created when OAT and non-OAT coolant were mixed. I could be wrong as I have never used Unipart but to be on the safe side, if I were you, I’ll ask your mechanic to flush the system thoroughly and replace it with Honda Type 2 coolant.

For your reference, even when I replace all of the coolant hoses, I have to flush the entire system at least 4 times. If you are not replacing the hoses and just replacing the coolant with different type, then you’ll probably need to flush the system 5 times or more.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
    Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 16-11-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added colour information

Continental Europe service books state every 4 years but I regard this as a very good selling tactic and nothing else. On things you touch every 6-10 years I'd go with Honda OEM.

Thanks for that.
    How much water does it hold? and would you use tap water for flushing through as I know it is distilled water when finally filling the system, or filtered rain water.

Thanks Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast