Thread: V-tech zone detectable?

1. Default V-tech zone detectable?

Should this be detectable, I mean really detectable on the NSX, I thought not really. I've owned the car for over 3 years now and never really detected any shift inperformance at 6000rpm although clearly the car is a lot quicker up the top end, I've driven others NSXs as well and can't say I've really noticed any large shift when compared to say a prelude that my friend had that showed a very distinct shift when hitting the vtech zone.

Car is serviced at honda and recently I did ask them to check everything with this was in order. My exhaust started blowing recently and Honda advised it has a small crack in it, and now I can really notice the shift in power as it hits 6000rpm, the needle starts moving quicker and so does the car.

So which is normal? The car doesn't really feel any quicker as far as I can tell other than the shift is more pronounced which can give a feeling of being quicker - but maybe it's slower at the bottom end now which gives that effect.

Thanks!

If you run any sort of open air or "special element" filter you can clearly hear it. Also a louder exhaust might help in the aural arena.

If you are stock, look at the oil pressure, it will drop a little when in VTEC at around 5800 rpms.

As far as I am aware the NSX is tuned right and some of the smaller Hondas are tuned to make VTEC seem reallt special.

Cheers,

AR

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    As far as I am aware the NSX is tuned right and some of the smaller Hondas are tuned to make VTEC seem reallt special.
    Agreed. The 4-pot performance Hondas have the VTEC cut-over delayed until after torque starts to drop-off (only slightly), so there's a sudden 'slug' of torque when the different cam-lobes take effect.

With my NSX, I actually DO notice the change-over, due to two things:-
    - 'hardening' of engine note
    - increase in rate-of-change of rpm

...but there's no physical 'kick in the back' like you get with an ITR or S2000.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

I'd agree that if you want to 'feel' the vtec changeover, you need to drive a DC2 or S2k.

On the NSX it less feel and more smooth in its delivery as noted above.

Time to treat yourself to an improved exhaust note

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

[quote=AR;64125

Cheers,

AR[/quote]

I think it is mroe to do with the fact that the smaller engines are tuned to produce >100bhp/litre, whereas we have to make do with "only" 90bhp/litre.