Thread: Petrol fumes

Default Petrol fumes

I have not had the car long, but I can smell petrol fumes shortly after starting, but only for a brief period; is this normal or is the car running rich?

When was the last time you drove the car before this incident? Has it been stood a long period of time? Do you press the gas before starting the car? Is the car's service up to date? May be try a decent brand of injector cleaner or spray some TB cleaner? HTH
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Are you running cats???

I assume it has cats as it is unmodified (can't check at the moment as the car is parked elsewhere). Yes I do press the gas, as it was not always starting first time, but I think this was when trying to start again after a short journey. Service done three months ago.

You should not need to press the gas pedal to start it.

When starting, turn key to pos 2 and wait for the fuel pump to prime, the ECL will go out when pressure is sufficient, turn key and this should fire her up straight away.
    This is particularly important when hot starting the car as I understand hot starts to be a fairly common problem with them?

Check your fuel lines and banjo connections for wetness. Starting problem could be connected to the smell of fuel.

Obviously difficult to diagnose without seeing the car....