Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: double din head unit

The other thing to consider for anyone else thinking of a similar install (keeping the factory amps) is to buy a unit with enough pre-outs. I bought the Pioneer AVIC unit as featured on the SOS web site, then found out that the UK version only had one pair of pre outs. Ideally you need two pairs for ease of install (copying the mod to the ebay DIN lead Jon has pictured above). I had a mare trying to explain to Prime members, till we realised the UK & US units were different...

So, with the sides of the console, you just fibreglassed the gaps, yes?

I'm not really up on in-car entertainment, what is double din? I presume it produces twice the din.

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    I'm not really up on in-car entertainment, what is double din? I presume it produces twice the din.
    Double din is the basically the size of the head unit.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Double din is the basically the size of the head unit.
    ah ok.
    Looks nice, but a bit Mercedes for my taste. Agree with you and lean towards the stripped out..ish R end of the scale.

the sides where the cutout is was filled/strenghtened with fibre glass, 2 lengths of aluminuim angle were used to give an edge to fibre glass up to, making the final fettling easier!

as mines a daily i wanted some more modern creature comforts! not seen a mercedes close enough to compare!!!!

pioneer avic was my next choice, but justifying the expense was difficult!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

looks like a great job and certainly a great post, thanks for all the info on behalf of those like me who are interested in this type of fit. To me aside from function the install just adds a nice modern touch without trying to look too Nissan.

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Twice the din.

If anyone else decides to go for the Pioneer AVIC, I'd suggest the 900BT instead of the 700BT just for the extra pre outs and ease of install.
    Last edited by NSXGB; 31-08-2009 at 08:39 AM.

I took the Pioneer route
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0073.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	6111  
    Cheers

Dave

I'm not attracted by a womans mind, only what she doesn't mind!!!

95 NSX Owner since 8 Aug 05 (sold Apr 13)
    Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
    Bentley Continental GTC
    Kawasaki ZX9R

Nice Job! I think this would have been one thing that Honda could have done relatively cheaply from there Acura parts bin for the later models.

It is something I think updates the interior and does not look too out of place.

Great post

Cheers

John
    ------------------
    2004 3.2 Man, Formula Red. Now Sold and not missed as much as expected. Life goes on.

It's painted!!!! ok, paul guessed it was going charlotte green, so off to the paintshop, and an hour later (they are sooo slow at times!!!) i've a pot of new fangled water based colour and satin laquer... OMG the waterbased stuff is a pain to work with, my sympathies to all the car painters out there forced to use this stuff! despite reassurances the laquer would go over the base ok, it didn't want to play, but after alot of experimentation it was done....

however... i'm not sure if it was the mix, the lack of gloss or what, but in the car it looks blue... outside it looks the same colour as the body, inside it's blue! very strange!

so, plan B (which should have been plan A all along, and would have saved me £60!) it was a trip to halfrauds rattle can department, and grab a dark met/pearl green with the ashtray door for colour reference... a far easier paint process later we have...

well happy!!!! just gotta paint the door inserts to match!
    Last edited by britlude; 30-08-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast