Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: double din head unit

I reunited the 2 parts of the console, with fibre glass resin, with micro-fibre filler material, and 2 carbon fibre rods for reinforcement! (ok, carbon is a little overboard, but it does mean I have a genuine carbon dash!!! just a low percentage one!!!) then using the magic of resin and filler it looked thus...

Last edited by britlude; 29-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

with the tape removed, and a quick satin black to colour it up, it currently looks like this....

all that needs to be done now is the final prep and finish paint! i've an idea for the paint, but i'll see if it works before sharing it with you!!!!

oh, and the ashtray still works, with no modifications!
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    I'm going to go the other route soon, after doing the whole double din thing, I fear my NSX-R quest is pushing me towards this OEM NSX-R console to match the rest. Double din does look good though!

i'm sure if you work it right, you could have the nsx-r look, with a double din concealed beneath what looks suspiciously like it could be a cover!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

Yeah that is a cover that clips in when the OEM system has been removed. I think I would rather have no radio at all and just leave it all plain and simple with more weight saving lol.

Your system looks really well! Great install and as mentioned, a double din system really brings the console into a modern era in my opinion.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Nice work Jon,

I'm interested to know how it works with reflections etc given the angle it needs to lay over at in the console.

Final paint ..... maybe Charlotte?

Sudesh,

Try and talk Leigh (Kowalski) about his set up. Would give you the R OEM look, save weight but still give you a music option but its a completely stealth install.

rergards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Nicely done Jon.

Looks like it was 'lucky' your console was broken where it was, as you mention.
    That's quite a big double din screen and you still have kept the ashtray, even better.
    You'll probably get some glare on the screen (I do) but I notice your screen is slightly recessed so hopefully not enough to worry you. There are anti-glare film coverings they sell on ebay but I have not tried them. Maybe worth a shout?

The other thing you will find, being touch screen, will be the finger prints! I have 'trained' myself to use the top of my fingernail when pressing the screen to avoid this. Sounds silly but works!

Did you reinforce the remnants of the stereo hole at the top of the old centre console when you filled it, or was it not necessary?

I haven't taken the protective film off yet, it's probably high gloss underneath!!!! i've already got the 'anti-glare' film in reserve if need be, and i've already learnt the fingernail method on touchscreens elsewhere!

the top of the stereo hole didn't need reinforcement as there's already a strengthening web in the crossbar between the ccu and head unit, the hole was cut up to that, but left it in place! (i think that makes sense!)

as for the ashtray, it has a metal frame around it inside (mainly for cosmetics when it's open) but it does define the area the door 'travels' through, so the trick is to mount the stereo high enough so that the frame remains in it's correct position and nothing is lower than the top of the frame.... if the frame is correct the door will open without touching anything!
    aka Jonathan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    I'm interested to know how it works with reflections etc given the angle it needs to lay over at in the console.
    Thats why I give mine a slight forward raise to see the screen better.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Sudesh,

Try and talk Leigh (Kowalski) about his set up. Would give you the R OEM look, save weight but still give you a music option but its a completely stealth install.

rergards, Paul
    Paul I'm going with the OEM NA-1 NSX-R console and door trims, as you probably know they are coated differently to any other NSX and will match the steering colum covers I have. I did actually think about something very small and stealth but not sure what route to go?

As I have an ipod feed in the armrest; I was thinking, ipod to mini amp, and amp out to the mini speakers I already have.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    the head unit i decided on was a cheap and cheerful ebay dvd/sat nav/dbt-v/6.4(?) inch touchscreen whizzy bit of kit!
    ok, i could have gone for a named brand and then decided i didn't like it (too much glare/ bad position for sat nav/ just didn't like it/ etc!) so i went budget, i can always upgrade later!
    anyway, decided on this...

it does the things I want it to, is a true double din... some do come out a little higher, which is the last thing we need in an nsx, has front loading dvd/cd and no motorised front panel
    Jon I did the same thing, just went for a cheap unit that was simple to use and had all the features. For me there was no real point in spending big£££ on a head unit as I dont have many speakers in my car and not looking for loads of noise. I just wanted something to make the car look a bit more modern inside.

What system is that Jon and do you have a link?

it's a cheapy off ebay... direct from china, £230 delivered! i worked on the theory if it needed a trim ( which in this case was a slight mod to the plastic surround) then i wasn't going to do it to a £700 bit of kit! it does all the things i want it to, has bluetooth so hands free, and sat nav. I was pleasantly surprised by the delivery... ordered 10.30pm friday, on the doorstep 9.30am wednesday!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

as an added bonus, the unit has orange button illumination!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 29-08-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast