Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: double din head unit

Thanks Jonathan,
    i am off on Wednesday so going to have a proper look then and make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    Silver Surfer recently changed from a 7" tilt to another unit, from Amazon... maybe PM him as to what he found.

i might know someone who'd be interested in the 7" unit if you do consider the ebay route
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

Have you installed your yet silver Surfer and did you encounter any issues with making space?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    Scott

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford

Here's some pic...the edges aren't perfect with a small gap...will deal with it later.
    The space had a double din unit inserted by the previous owner which had the flip -front jobbie and was grey which I didn't like. I had to enlarge the hole a little to fit and I fashioned a Z-shaped bracket which I screwed into the lower cross bar to stop the unit sliding further into the compartment and also to provide lower shelf-like support. The sides of the console had some yellow foam-like material which was trimmed to ensure the rear of the device slid in easily.

The ashtray lid opens with no problem!
    SS
    Last edited by Silver Surfer; 12-09-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Looks good are you happy with the quality of the sound, one audio guy told me the radios are rubbish and one in six is faulty out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    Here's some pic...the edges aren't perfect with a small gap...will deal with it later.
    The space had a double din unit inserted by the previous owner which had the flip -front jobbie and was grey which I didn't like. I had to enlarge the hole a little to fit and I fashioned a Z-shaped bracket which I screwed into the lower cross bar to stop the unit sliding further into the compartment and also to provide lower shelf-like support. The sides of the console had some yellow foam-like material which was trimmed to ensure the rear of the device slid in easily.

The ashtray lid opens with no problem!
    SS
    Scott

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford

Ok after much thought and allot of help from those that have already carried out a similar change I have the way forward clear in my mind. I have returned the sat nav I bought to the e bay vendor who assures me they will refund my purchase as the are a company and the distance selling regulations apply and I have the car booked in with Bill at audio in motion who is fitting an alpine double din unit. The one I have chosen doesn't have sat hav or DVD capability but does have blue tooth and I phone compatibility. In the end I have no intensional of using the DVD element and I have sat hav on my phone so I have opted for a better brand that I think will also look right in the car. Bill is making up the brackets and will mould he facia around the new unit as part of his fitting service, in his words he said he likes working on these types of cars so he will do it at a better price (a man of taste). Roll on next Wednesday when I will leave the car with them for the day for the install.
    Thanks again to britlude and silver surfer for your advice and pics which have been very helpfully indeed
    Scott

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford

I find the Satav on the iphone unreliable as there are many occasions where phone service and poor reception and 3G drop out affects the locator capability. The hard wired SatNav on the unit is so much better. The radio function is good and really depends on the radio mast effectiveness.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Ok after much thought and allot of help from those that have already carried out a similar change I have the way forward clear in my mind. I have returned the sat nav I bought to the e bay vendor who assures me they will refund my purchase as the are a company and the distance selling regulations apply and I have the car booked in with Bill at audio in motion who is fitting an alpine double din unit. The one I have chosen doesn't have sat hav or DVD capability but does have blue tooth and I phone compatibility. In the end I have no intensional of using the DVD element and I have sat hav on my phone so I have opted for a better brand that I think will also look right in the car. Bill is making up the brackets and will mould he facia around the new unit as part of his fitting service, in his words he said he likes working on these types of cars so he will do it at a better price (a man of taste). Roll on next Wednesday when I will leave the car with them for the day for the install.
    Thanks again to britlude and silver surfer for your advice and pics which have been very helpfully indeed
    If you scroll down through this link, you will get another idea of how it all looks http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...Refresh/page38

Obviously not all double dins will fit correctly or allow you to keep the ash tray, so choose wisely lol
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Nice work Sudesh. My first purchase was not going to fit if I wanted to retain the ashtray but the new one will so can't wait to see it installed next week.
    on another note the mot tester noted a noisy steering column. I hadn't noticed this before but I took the car out yesterday and at low speed in a supermarket car park I heard it. It seams to be more noticeable when making a right hand turn and it sounds like it is coming from the bottom on the column. Are there any know faults to be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    If you scroll down through this link, you will get another idea of how it all looks http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...Refresh/page38

Obviously not all double dins will fit correctly or allow you to keep the ash tray, so choose wisely lol
    Scott

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford