Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you buy after the NSX?...

I'm lucky enough to have both, a 95 NSX and a 2.0 Vauxhall Caterham. They are both totally different and I use the NSX "everyday" and the Caterham for track days and the occasional blat.

I have also taken the NSX on track 2 or 3 times and can honestly say I wished I had the Caterham every time. The NSX was brilliant on track but IMHO can't beat the Caterham for fun, the Caterham is much more forgiving and I like to slide the car around a lot. Saying that the 7 does need a fair amount spending on it to keep it going when tracking it a lot but I do drive it much harder than the NSX - on track anyway - and would think the NSX would too. Damage wise, the front wings are £60 and don't need painting, tyres are £60 each and last longer etc, etc. Not sure the same could be said for the Honda!

Saying that if I didn't have the Caterham I would use the NSX on track but always feel that I am wearing the car out when using it especially tyres, brakes etc. The brakes didn't stand up as well either but then it is a lot heavier.

If I could only have one I wouldn't hesitate to keep the NSX. As a road car it is so much better in pratical terms and probably more fun on the road too. But that hit you get in the 7 - brilliant. Saying that when it comes time to drive the 3 or so hours home from a track day I wished I was in the Honda again.

Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by NSX 2000 View Post
    You do know that you will have to let me have a go
    As long as you give me more than five minutes notice that you are planning on attending a track day!!

3. Default

Having both the NSX and a Track car is not an option im afraid, we currently have 5 cars between the two of us and only two parking spaces and two single garages... something would need to go

Ive looking into hiring one from a company in Perth so i will see how i get on

4. Default

Caterhams are good but a little one-dimensional, they just go sideways. Not to say that isn't fun, but being mid-engined, the NSX offers more of a challenge and consequently a longer, more rewarding learning curve.

If you're not too tall, try an Exige. It can just about handle a daily drive if you're commited.
    '02 Honda NSX [Garage Queen]
    '17 Huracan Performante [Weekend Car]
    '19 Porsche Macan [Daily]

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Fenn View Post
    Caterhams are good but a little one-dimensional, they just go sideways. Not to say that isn't fun, but being mid-engined, the NSX offers more of a challenge and consequently a longer, more rewarding learning curve.

If you're not too tall, try an Exige. It can just about handle a daily drive if you're commited.
    After owning an NSX and now a reasonably sorted Caterham I would say that they are chalk and cheese. I learnt more about driving within the first month with the Caterham than with any of my previous cars and the limits are way beyond even hard road use. To label the se7en as one dimensional is wrong. Turn in and corner speed is the trump card of the Caterham not hanging the back out and being untidy. The NSX is a great road/GT car and I would have another in a heartbeat if I could afford to run one alongside the Caterham.

To the OP. If you want something that is basically a big ball of fun and will not break the bank a Caterham is a very good thing to have. They are not practical and cannot match any mass production car for quality so dont expect bullet proof reliability. Having said that in the two years I have had mine it has been washed twice and apart from regular servicing and the odd upgrade I have found that the basic engineering is pretty sound provided you dont mind getting your hands dirty now and again.

Radicals etc are faster but like everything in life there is always something out there that is. Residuals are pretty good and I would recommend the K series superlight as a starting point as they are reasonably priced and have LSD's and decent brakes as a starting point, they also aren't running an engine in a crazy state of tune so they are far more robust than the 200HP K's. A std superlight around somewhere like Cadwell is easily capable of keeping a GT3 honest and you will have a hoot in the process. On the road there is not much that will stay with them and only visibility prevents you from running rings around superbikes.

Everyone should try one at least once, if you are unsure then try an experience day (http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/experience.html), they are a great introduction.

HTH
    Guardian of 'POB'

So Donnac,

What will you buy after the NSX ... You're going to need something to fill the space.

Hope its the right decision for you, and someone has bought a really nice NSX. Hope the new owner stays in touch, and you keep us informed about your new toy.

Regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

7. Thumbs up

Don't know right now would be the answer but the only other car out there that does it for me would be a Lambo Diablo SV but may have to move house to get a bigger garage before I could buy one (a cheap one at that!!!). I got 4 laps around my local racing circuit last week in a charity event for Motor Neurone Disease and loved it.

I have taken a deposit on the car after 3 weeks so I am pleased. The car has been sold to a chap called Martin who will be on the site real soon. It has went to a good home. I had decided the day before Martin came up to Scotland to buy it that if he was not going to buy it then I was on the verge of just keeping it. I had it fully inspected by an NSX technician at the local Honda dealer and he stated that although at 90,000 miles, it looked and drove like a new car which was a great compliment to the car and the quality of the NSX brand.

I have done this before with car ownership, i.e. spent around £6,000 on a car making it as good as I could, only to sell after 18 months, just when it is in showroom condition. It must be an illness or something for me to lose money but this time round I have really enjoyed the NSX experience.

A big thanks to everyone on this site for their help and input on selling the car and I will continue to be a member

I am sure I will buy something crazy as it is in my character and if the past cars are anything to go by then it will be fast and different.

The car should change hands this Friday but if anything goes wrong then I will keep her. The NSX has been a great experience
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    So Donnac,

What will you buy after the NSX ... You're going to need something to fill the space.

Hope its the right decision for you, and someone has bought a really nice NSX. Hope the new owner stays in touch, and you keep us informed about your new toy.

Regards, Paul

I would think twice about a Diablo. One thing is a "holiday romance" with one, another one is dealing with an old italian car. I know someone who has both a Diablo SV and an LP640 and he has kept both as he still loves the Diablo. A fantastic looking car, but one that will drain your pockets if allowed.
    Last edited by AR; 14-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.

9. Default

Spoke on the phone today to the new (prospective) owner. Cars going to a good home and its so good to see. Good cars like this one need to be carried on to good owners. each owner gets the benefit of the last owner taking care of such a great car.

(well except me battering her around the ring but dont all women love that ? )

Steve and Donna hope alls well. Car looks mint in the advertising pics and i hear its been kept super mint too. I do miss it and always hanker for a car since i dont own one now. But come November im outa here to Canada for a year. Following my dreams- the power of dreams in fact !
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

Hi guys!

Steve - was really nice to go see a car completely as-described - thank you for that. And I'll make sure to take good care of her...first stop will be one of Kaz's famous inspections and I'll take things from there.

Dan - cheers for the call, and cheers for the kind words also. Best of luck in Canada - I've heard a lot of good things about that country...well, except for the beer, that is!

Roll on the weekend is all I can say right now...I'm trying very hard not to get TOO excited (), even though my future steed is being referred to by my wife and friends as a bumblebee and a 'ballistic banana' already...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast