Thread: Shock Absorber

Default Shock Absorber

i have a view problems with my oem-Shock Absorber. for now 1 year i have a sound in the left rear of my NSX like someone forgot his screwdriver in the trunk. noone can find anything. but after only 10000km in 5 years the left rear-Shock Absorber spites oil from the underside. honda doesnt think to pay a penny for a part, that costs 420euro and works for 10000km.grrr.
    so i changed the Shock Absorber with a used one, i bought from a friend. after 2 month now i have a sound on the LEFT rear, like the wheelscrews are loosened and the wheel is klacking left and right in any curve. sch...
    there is no end. i think the newly changed used Shock Absorber. is gone again. so i decided to try the next used d. for again 35euro.
    but, i have mounted the type-r-stabi in the front and maybe, the whole setup should be changed. BUT, i dont want it harder than oem-stock. so what to do?????????????

1. buy a stock-Shock Absorber. for expensive 420eu
    2. or a used set of bilstein for less than 200eu
    3.or a complete used set of type-s-setup with d. for less than 600eu
    4. or a complete used showa set from type-r for 800eu

:undecided:remember, if something broke in the set type-s or showa-type-r set, that will be very expensive, maybe i must buy a whole new set.

and , harder setups are nothing for me, because i want to drive all the bad roads around here with there wunderfull tight corners

Well, it's your decision to go with a used one after another used one (plus your OEM shock) failed. I already gave you my recommendation on the German board. Here we go again: Forget about 1 and 4. If you prefer absolute comfort like 18 years old, worn out shocks offer forget about 3 also and go option 2 where I'm wondering about the low price.

...I would go for option 1....twice!

Replacing shocks should IMHO be done at least in pairs.

I'm in a similar situation at the moment but have decided to go for new shocks all round instead of buying used for reasons that you have demonstrated. I considered just buying the rears but that would mean I would have new rears and 16 year old fronts....

Just crossed my mind: One option is missing: New Bilsteins are far cheaper than OEM ones.

Used shocks are not bad in general BUT 15+ years old used shocks surely ARE.