Thread: Aftermarket Stereo

1. Default Aftermarket Stereo

Hi All,

I was wondering whether anyone would happen to know what is wrong?

I have recently installed an aftermarket stereo......about two weeks ago....today I tried to start the stereo and it would not switch on.....the stand-by light is on...but it wont turn on. WHen I press the 'reset' button located on the face of the stereo the aerial does go up and then straight back down. There seems to be power to the unit?

Could it be anything to do with fuses? any ideas where these could be located?

Cheers in advance....

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 328 View Post
    Hi All,

I was wondering whether anyone would happen to know what is wrong?

I have recently installed an aftermarket stereo......about two weeks ago....today I tried to start the stereo and it would not switch on.....the stand-by light is on...but it wont turn on. WHen I press the 'reset' button located on the face of the stereo the aerial does go up and then straight back down. There seems to be power to the unit?

Could it be anything to do with fuses? any ideas where these could be located?

Cheers in advance....

Andy
    Most stereos have a permanent feed for the radio presets etc and a switched live (when the ignition is on or key at position one for accessories). Have you got both connected correctly? Usually a yellow and red wire. Your scenario may be because you've only connected the yellow wire? Not 100% sure but would know if I was at your car with the installation diagram. Something to recheck though....good luck

Blog Entries

Hi, Andy.

As Hagasan mentioned, it looked like you were getting VB (continuous Voltage Battery) but not the ACC (Accessary) input.

If I am in your position, I'll take out the headunit and simply power it up using external power supply to confirm whether it is power supply issue or headunit related.

What kind of adaptor loom did you use for the installation? May be there are some loose connections??

One thing about the aftermarket adaptor loom.

Quite often, I noticed that they were based on Honda/Acura Legend design and supplying the power through 7.5A 'Clock' fuse circuit.

On our NSX, Bose amplifier is built into the speaker boxes and thus, Honda is using completely separated circuit (20A rated) for the power supply of amplifier.
    Because this connector location is away from the OEM headunit, most of the aftermarket adaptor loom is not using this circuit. If your aftermarket headunit has built-in amplifier, it is worth checking the power supply circuit.
    I hope it is not using the 'Clock' circuit as it is being used by PGM FI ECU, EPS, AT controller, CCU...

You don't want to blow up your 'Clock' fuse because of the aftermarket AV system as it will stop your car.

This is one of the reason why I always run separate line directly from the battery to the aftermarket amplifier unit for the power supply.

If you need further information, please let us know.

Regards,
    Kaz

4. Default

Thanks for all your advice....I will start to check at the weekend.

The other day when i drove my 'TCS' light came on. My friend told me to stop the engine and restart...when this happened the 'TCS' light did not come back....coudl this be related to the aftermarket stereo? being on the same circuit?

Cheers,

Andy

5. Default Hmmm Interesting

Yesterday night, I started my car up and my stereo is working again now.....I think it must be just a lose connection somewhere......

Thanks for everyones advice.

Cheers,

Andy

make sure you fix any loose electrical connections ASAP as they can generate heat, resulting in the worst scenario an electrical fire.