Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 Type-R Steering wheel with OEM boss

The recent video of the the comparison of the new NSX and the 'old' NSX-R makes me think if I'm the need of a different steering wheel. Jethro praises the feedback of the steering of the NSX-R. That's what I'm after.
    So I'd like to hear some feedback or comparisons from the Type R steering wheel to the Standard-Airbag one regarding steering feedback. How would you rate the difference? Is it really that pronounced or should I save my money?
    I was happy with the steering wheel (and the seats) so far. But if there's something much better out there I'd might change my mind.

BTW: what is the weight of the NSX-R steering wheel or the Momo tuner (I might go that route not the expensive one)?

You can see weight here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1141172

According to Nuno (UnHuz) upgrading the steering wheel is a must!

FYI i'll be upgrading mine to the Type S one, you can see it here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1929880

Regards,

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    The recent video of the the comparison of the new NSX and the 'old' NSX-R makes me think if I'm the need of a different steering wheel. Jethro praises the feedback of the steering of the NSX-R. That's what I'm after.
    So I'd like to hear some feedback or comparisons from the Type R steering wheel to the Standard-Airbag one regarding steering feedback. How would you rate the difference? Is it really that pronounced or should I save my money?
    I was happy with the steering wheel (and the seats) so far. But if there's something much better out there I'd might change my mind.

BTW: what is the weight of the NSX-R steering wheel or the Momo tuner (I might go that route not the expensive one)?

Hi Thomas,

i can assure you, once you have a Momo Tuner (the same as the NSX-R),
    you will throw your OEM one on the "parts for sale" forum

you can't imagine the difference... the steering becomes immediate.. go-kart like.

I felt a bigger improvment with the steering wheel swap than with coilovers or
    NSX-R front swaybar...

it's like the Nike slogan: Just do it !!

about the weight... if you follow the link Bruno gave you, you will go
    to my build thread... the weight difference is 2,5Kg lighter.
    (OEM vs Momo Tuner 350mm + NSX-R Momo boss/hub + NSX-R horn kit)

Nuno

Thanks very much for your valuable feedback. Let's (strongly) think about it.

Did you also throw the SRS module (below the Alpine stereo unit) out of the car? When I revised mine its electronics felt like 1-2 kg. Or do you have to keep it to avoid the SRS light in the dashboard (which would be not too difficult to get wrid of)?
    Last edited by goldnsx; 10-04-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: better english

Now that you listened to Nuno's feedback, you understand why i thought about so "strongly" that i decided to upgrade mine lol

I can't give you my feedback since mine is still waiting for the installation... I'll be also removing my cruise control unit... so there is a bit more weight to save there...

A lot of you guys are removing stuff to reduce weight, are you all looking to make time attack weapons as it must be very time consuming removing the electronic components, particularly if you should want to convert them back to standard again later???
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    A lot of you guys are removing stuff to reduce weight, are you all looking to make time attack weapons as it must be very time consuming removing the electronic components, particularly if you should want to convert them back to standard again later???
    Must be owners of red cars, you should know that red cars need all the help they can get...

Yes, the correlation to red cars can clearly be seen.

I was acting quite conservativly regarding mods in the last few years (stress on last few ). If you change the 'direction' every 5 or 10 years you can survive it. As the middle console is now open for another install I'm not far from working down there. The BOSE speakers won't get installed the next time when the door panels have to come off for a window guide greasing procedure and so on...

I'm not going back to stock anymore as there are plenty of stock cars out there. The future buyer should better buy a stock car before perpetrating the horrible crime of de-modding a Type-S like car.

Blog Entries

It's the effect of thick grab diameter with smaller wheel diameter and much more reduced inertia so just try any aftermarket one from reputable manufacture.
    OEM one is nice and I have it but you don't want to know the latest price, even just for the horn button….

Just be careful selecting the hub/boss because it will change the distance towards the satellite levers (indicator, wiper, etc), switch position/distance (horn, hazard, cruise control, etc) and of course, the geometry against your arm/body.
    Personally, I recommend the one with crushable mechanism built-in to the hub itself, like the OEM one as I think Momo no longer manufactures their own version.

Also, please check your local regulation especially in Europe and Japan.
    The warning light regulation changed from this year so removing SRS module and disabling the warning light on the model that was originally fitted from the factory may cause issue.

Kaz

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Thanks very much for your valuable feedback. Let's (strongly) think about it.

Did you also throw the SRS module (below the Alpine stereo unit) out of the car? When I revised mine its electronics felt like 1-2 kg. Or do you have to keep it to avoid the SRS light in the dashboard (which would be not too difficult to get wrid of)?
    yeap...i removed everything SRS related: ECU, passenger airbag, yellow harness and chassi sensors...
    you can check my build thread with weights on everything... you save a lot

about the time attack car because of removing weight... this is a different approach.
    you can get more performance in 2 ways:

- mods that give you HP or improve chassi dynamics

or

- remove weight

a long time ago, a friend told me that in a 1000kg car, you would get the same
    performance by removing 100kg or adding 40hp.

it's cheaper to remove weight, at least until we have to replace parts with lighter
    ones.

Nuno

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast