Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 Type-R Steering wheel with OEM boss

Hi Kaz!

I'll be installiing the nsx-s steering wheel soon, came across your thread and decided to ask... I see that you fabricated a small part to establish the connection to the contact plate at the base of boss, but i was wondering what solution does Honda use on the NSX-R/NSX-S... is it possible to order a part from Honda japan to do this? or is this not an option? If yes, can you help me with part #?

Thanks,

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    10. Now we need to create something to establish the connection to the contact plate at the base of boss.
    For this, I used the cardboard from the cereal box to use it as a template.
    (I think our member Sudesh used great idea to create this circuit and he posted it on Prime in the past.)
    Based on the cardboard template, I cut out the aluminium sheet and placed it like this. I used the two fixing screws originally designed to hold the cable reel.
    Make sure that this hand made part doesn’t touch any of the metal part other than the contact plate at the boss. Otherwise, your horn will be continuously triggered when you re-connect the battery.
    Route the long cable that was placed at pin #1 of the yellow connector above and connect the ring terminal to the hand made metal sheet with the screw as in the photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cardboard.JPG 
Views:	696 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	5434 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate.JPG 
Views:	877 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	5437

11. Apply good quality grease at the contact plate of the boss. This is very important as after several years, it will start to make some noise every time when you turn the steering wheel if the grease got dried out. For this reason, I didn’t use the ordinary conductive copper grease. Instead, I used race spec bearing grease. It’s not conductive so don’t apply too much.

12. Regarding the tension of arch shaped metal sheet, you just need to play with it. Not too soft but not too hard against the contact plate. It will look like this when the boss was placed in place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contact.JPG 
Views:	763 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	5435

Blog Entries

Hi, Bruno.

For NSX-R, Honda didn't provide the horn contact plate as a standalone parts and instead, it was included as part of another steering column/satellite sw/cover parts.

If you want to use OEM parts, just search on the parts system and look for the parts description as 'Horn, shoe' from another model.
    The parts no. starts with 35259-.

You can use the one from Civic/Integra/etc Type-R models.

You will still need to modify or adjust the shape so for me, it's quicker and cheaper to create own design.

Kaz

Bruno, does this help?

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88292

This is the parts explosion for my Type S wheel - no 35259-SH3-A02 in sight:

http://jp-carparts.com/honda/partlis...ig=B&fig1=3102
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Blog Entries

Please adjust the tension if using OEM parts from another model.
    Also, it’s very important to apply high quality contact grease at the back of the steering boss/hub where the contact plate slides against it.
    Otherwise, you will get squeaking noise after some time and eventually, you will create deep channel on the contact surface of the boss. Not good....

Kaz

Hi, Bruno.

For NSX-R, Honda didn't provide the horn contact plate as a standalone parts and instead, it was included as part of another steering column/satellite sw/cover parts.

If you want to use OEM parts, just search on the parts system and look for the parts description as 'Horn, shoe' from another model.
    The parts no. starts with 35259-.

You can use the one from Civic/Integra/etc Type-R models.

You will still need to modify or adjust the shape so for me, it's quicker and cheaper to create own design.

Thanks For the Information Kaz!

Please adjust the tension if using OEM parts from another model.
    Also, it’s very important to apply high quality contact grease at the back of the steering boss/hub where the contact plate slides against it.
    Otherwise, you will get squeaking noise after some time and eventually, you will create deep channel on the contact surface of the boss. Not good....

Kaz
    Will make sure to find a high quality contact grease to use!

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    Bruno, does this help?

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88292

That's exactly what i was looking for! An OEM part! Thanks!

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post

I think it wouldn't appear in this diagram, but in the steering column or combination switch instead.

Thanks,
    Nuno
    Last edited by UnhuZ; 10-02-2017 at 08:26 PM.

7. Default

I'm doing this installation at the moment and have some information about the OEM parts kit that is available with this hub. The kit has everything, so you don't have to fabricate anything. This site isn't letting me upload the photos, but they're in this link to the NSXC Prime site, posts 5 & 6:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...-wheel-install

Hi Wavey, do you happen to have the part number of the horn contact plate please? (The part in your first photo).

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Hi Wavey, do you happen to have the part number of the horn contact plate please? (The part in your first photo).
    I don't think it has a separate part number, is just a part of the kit? It doesn't have a number on it and I haven't been able to find a listing for the separate parts in the kit. What's weird is the part number for the kit comes up as an NSX-R NA2 shift boot! But this does appear to be genuine Honda parts, has pairs of rubber and cloth gloves like they pack with some parts. I could post a photo of all the pieces in that kit if you'd like.

Cheers for looking. Yes, I checked out that part number and saw that it was for the NSX-R mesh boot...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast