Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standardising my NSX

Default Standardising my NSX

In a departure from the usual posts here, and definately a u-turn from my usual posts, here is an update on the 'standardisation' of my car.

The foglights have been re-fitted. The racing seats and harnesses have come out, to be replaced by the standard seats. The blanking plate from the centre console has gone, and the stereo refitted.

The aircon pipes have all been refitted, and the new compressor installed. I have to wait until a new valve has been delivered, and then I can get the system regassed. Refitting the pipes and pump took the best part of a few days. The radiator had to come out, and the coolant has been replaced.

Future work includes replacing the centre console with an uncut one. I'll also replace the spare wheel, and maybe refit the standard battery (if it still works) for Le Mans, so I don't get stuck with a flat tyre or battery. I don't know what to do with the rear valance. I don't really have time to make a new one to fit around the exhaust properly, I could fit the standard exhaust and a new valance that I have instead.

Of course the car still isn't completely standard. It still has the huge brakes, the track suspension (new Comptech Pro kit waiting to go on), and the exhaust. The low ratio gearbox is still there and provides lots of fun. The stereo does not have the dodgy BOSE amps. The headunit feeds into a proper amp, and replacement speakers, and it works fine.

So it's standard but a bit more fun. At least now everything that should be working is working which is nice too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000975.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	5410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000976.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	5411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000978.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	5412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000979.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	5413  
    Last edited by Kevin; 11-05-2009 at 12:44 PM.
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    ........ The racing seats and harnesses have come out, to be replaced by the standard seats. ............
    Well at least Brian at Nortons will be able to reach the pedals now
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

It looks quite clean.

Are you sure the OEM Spare is still good?

Is it a tight fit over the Big Brake?

Cheers,

AR

Damn you and your good sense! You're right, I forgot the spare won't fit over the brakes.

The seats have only done 30k miles. They are in perfect shape.

I'm kind of torn between keeping that OEM stereo, or getting one of these;

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/product...387306118.html

It's a simple unit. No CD built in. It plays either from SD card, or via bluetooth can play the music stored on a mobile phone. I've been using an SD card in another car for ages and I like it. No need for a CD changer in the boot.

The other reason for getting this one is I like the look. It's black, simple, without loads of brightly coloured buttons and flashing doo-dads. Also the unit is symmetrical and therefore should fit in better into the console. I can use the built in amps of the unit then, and replace my footwell mounted amp, and put a subwoofer in (or replace the OEM one).

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    It looks quite clean.

Are you sure the OEM Spare is still good?

Is it a tight fit over the Big Brake?

Cheers,

AR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB289RBT-EU_01,24.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	5414  
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Thats a really nice head unit. Never come across that one before.
    '92 Red/Black
    RS*R Exhaust, DC Headers, SuperDuper LeMans AirScooper, Dali Stealth OEM Airbox Mod: Fujita Filter, OEM 2002+ GOLD calipers + 2 piece race rotors . . . take a breath . . . and finally Nitron one way adjustable suspension!

SD card or iPod connection the way to go....

Default That is a fantastic looking head unit

It would take 10 years off the inside of the nsx. I'm feeling all warm and excited at the thought !
    Rod

That is a cracking head unit, I bought an alpine IDA thingamajob thinking along the same lines as you Kevin. It sounds good at any level, it saves a ton of weight and it has minimal moving parts. The door units were replaced with 6.4" speakers and I fitted another small speaker in the footwell. Still way... lighther than the OEM stuff.

Now if only I could find a "DECENT" replacement console!!!

BTW I wonder if anyone has tought of contacting image wheels to desing a spare to fit over big brakes???

After reading some reviews of that head unit, I have my doubts about it now. Someone said it is brown in colour not black. Very dark brown, but in a black console it looks wrong.

If a spare wheel was made bigger to fit the brakes, I would guess it wouldn't fit into the space for it under the bonnet?

I first noticed the Alpine IDA units too. They have more features, and the volume control is roughly central. But the whole thing is too gaudy for me. Looks like I'll be staying standard after all.

Default tyre filler foam vs spare wheel

Guys,

Just get the two for the price of 1 foam filler from Halfords.

These days, if you have to use it, it just gets washed out by your tyre repair man and then he puts a patch on and off you go...

Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast