Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement brake discs

Default Replacement brake discs

My front discs are subject to vibration after heavy use. They are at least 1/2 way through their life so IMHO probably not worth skimming.

After much surfing I have come up with a pair of 'Bradi' disks for 70 pounds including VAT and delivery (I've paid more than that for Halfords cr.p for a laguna in the past) from http://www.expressparts.co.uk/main.htm they had 2 sets in stock!

Anyhow, Bradi looks to be quite a well respected name particularly in the EVO and Scooby world. Anyone here come across them?

I have ordered them anyhow so will let you know how I get on.

PS Intending to pair them up with some road/track use Mintex pads.

2. Default

Kevin is doing a lot of work/research/negotiating/testing to put together a performance brake kit for us which will fit under the OEM 16/17" wheel combo. if you can hang on for a while you may want to join the rest of us who will be looking to do this upgrade.

if not, in the meantime I recently went for a pair of black diamond slotted rotors in the oem size (280 x 28 mm) at £150 which seem to be quite an improvement over the stock rotors.

Darren

Interesting about the black diamond - I was looking at those but searching through the old yahoo group archive and a couple of posts indicated some problems ie tendancy to warp.

(forums are sooo much easier to use than the mail search :roll: )

I still run the 15/16" wheels and I would struggle to justify the extra cost. (Also remember mines an auto so brakes probably don't get quite such a pounding - do try though :wink: )

4. Default

I've got a couple of spare sets of the 16/17" wheels if you decide to upgrade anytime

The Bradi discs should be good. Dali uses them for the slotted discs. I not sure but I think Brembo may use Bradi discs for some of their kits. After all how many foundries can there be making discs for every type of car out there? I would imagine there are a few foundries and the rest of these 'performance' discs are plain discs that have been machined.

Be aware Mintex don't keep the rear pads in stock in 1155 compound anymore. Don't know about 1144. You will have to have a batch made. I am thinking it, let me know if you want that compound.

The brake kit I am doing will use a new front caliper and disc, and a new disc with moved orginal rear caliper. So the rears will still need OEM sized pads.
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Oh Well - the original discs turned up but were the wrong size, diameter and thickness OK, but offset by about 15mm too deep (not just a little out, callipers wouldn't even fit back on).

I returned these and express autoparts refunded with no problems including the carriage, so still a good service. Looks like the parts listing they have for them is incorrect.

I ended up ordering EBC discs for about £30 more, and they fitted perfectly, so £100 pound for a set of front discs + £30 for the pads is not so bad.

On fitting the EBC discs I noticed that the edges were stamped 'bradi' so it turned out to be the same castings used anyhow.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelboy
    Kevin is doing a lot of work/research/negotiating/testing to put together a performance brake kit for us which will fit under the OEM 16/17" wheel combo. if you can hang on for a while you may want to join the rest of us who will be looking to do this upgrade.

if not, in the meantime I recently went for a pair of black diamond slotted rotors in the oem size (280 x 28 mm) at £150 which seem to be quite an improvement over the stock rotors.

Darren
    Any news on the upgraded discs for the standard 16/17 inch set-up? I'd be interested in joining the fold. Cheers, David (London based).

They're not just upgraded discs. It's a full big brake kit. I am waiting on the last of the parts to be made and then they will be mine!
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    They're not just upgraded discs. It's a full big brake kit. I am waiting on the last of the parts to be made and then they will be mine!
    That's interesting Kevin. When you say "mine", does this mean it's every man for himself or will you be in a position to sign-post others to the suppliier of your upgrade? And will it fit the standard 16/17" wheel set-up? Regards, David.

10. Default

David

I can understand your interpretation of Kevin's comment, but let me fill you in on what he really means....

Kevin has for some time been working with various manufacturers and fabricators (and fiddling in his shed, but thats another story :lol: ) in order to create custom parts and solutions for both himself and us, the members of the NSXCB.

the brake kit that Kevin has been working on has be designed to be an upgrade in every sense but on which will still fit with the factory 16"/17" wheel combo (but not the 1991 to 1993 15"/16" combo).

a key part of the brake kit as with all of Kevin's custom items is that it will be delivered within a realistic budget.

so the point of Kevin's 'me' comment was that his will be the first car to be fitted with the kit once it is available both from a guinea-pig perspective and also as the perk/reward of being the instigator and developer of the kit in the first place.

once final testing has been concluded on the first kit installed (i.e. Kevin's) then the kit will be made available through Kevin for any of us who wish to take advantage of it.

Keep up the good work Kev - looking forward to seeing the results of your prototype rear wing!.

also David, I think Kevin may have one set of custom made Harness bars left as worn by Kevin, Mo, Andrew and myself - see here for details.

Darren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast