Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Health Check Service

Blog Entries

7. ABS

I can’t remember how many times I used this ABS T-wrench by now…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABS-SST.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	6598
    For some reason, this service is not included in the Honda’s service schedule and thus, lots of NSX are running with partially serviced ABS.

This one was the same. The fluid inside the reservoir was replaced in the past but the accumulator was not flushed at all. Thus, full of air.

Name:	FullOfAir.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	6599

First, I’ll flush the accu. twice.
    Then, move onto each solenoid. When you activate the solenoid, it will show lots of tiny bubbles - almost like white fluid.

Name:	SolFlush01.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	6600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SolFlush02.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	6601 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SolFlush03.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	6602
    I don’t like to re-use this so I’ll suck it out and then pour new fluid before activating the pump to pressurise the system and then move onto the next solenoid.

After all four solenoids were flushed, I’ll flush the accumulator again twice. By this time, the fluid retuned to the ABS T-wrench will be clear with no air.
    The ABS system has finally serviced properly and should be fine for long period.

It is also important to activate the ABS from time to time to keep the system healthy.

Ultimately, it is best to upgrade to the latest ABS system.
    Probably, one of the best modifications that you can do on early models.

Blog Entries

8. Door Fix It Thingy
    While carrying out the Bose Speaker Amp service on this NSX, I noticed tiny scratch at the bottom of the door handle. Also, it felt heavier than normal NSX to open the door from inside the cabin.

Name:	SmallScratch.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	6604 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DoorLeverCrack.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	6603
    After removing the door handle, I found the issue... The famous crack at the door lever. It already started to crack so the owner was informed and he will get the 'door fix it thingy' from US. It would be nice to find an engneering company to manufacture the same parts within UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    It would be nice to find an engneering company to manufacture the same parts within UK.
    Hi Kaz,

When I was doing the "door handle snap"
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=6758

I spoke to 3 engineering companies here who quoted me extortionate prices to do this, not to mention having to place a big order. With the NSX community being quite small here and in the UK, I didnt think it was worth going to hassle and expense, as Dali were cheap and deliver was very fast.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Kaz, is there a particular brand of brake fluid you use?

Blog Entries

Hi, NSXGB.

I used to use AP and now I’m using Ferodo DOT4 but it’s purely because of what I can get through my supplier at reasonable cost.

If you are not tracking your NSX, DOT4 from any major suppliers is fine for street driving as it has been DOT approved and exceeded the required spec category. I think Honda lists DOT3 as well.

For me, it’s more important to replace the fluid at least once a year than using expensive racing fluid for occasional/every day car without track events.

I used all sorts of racing fluids at different circuits and depending on the spec, it may require extra and regular attention/service. At certain circuits, quite often, we had to flush after each session or at the end of each day but that's an extreme case....

Just don’t use DOT5 (5.1 is fine) on our car.

Regards,
    Kaz

Thanks Kaz.

Blog Entries

9. One of my specialities, the calliper overhaul (OH).

Name:	FrontPiston.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	6609 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontCalWashed.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	6610
    Although this piston was re-usable, there was lots of surface rust/debris preventing the smooth movement of the piston. I couldn’t move it at all by finger.
    Front calliper washed and waiting for inspection before final cleaning process.

Name:	FrontBefore.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	6611 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontAfter.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	6612
    As the calliper slider pin was sticky and the piston was kind of seized, I didn’t like the condition of the Front brake pad surface. So, trimmed tiny amount and decided to carry out bedding in process after the OH. I had to do this any way as the Rear pads were replaced with the new ones.

Name:	FRoverhaul.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	6613
    The front calliper OH kit. There is several know-how that are not on the manual and these will make big difference until the next OH timing.

Blog Entries

Name:	FrontOut.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	6614 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontIn.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	6615
    Always check the installation by pushing out the pistons and then push them back with the fingers to check the smooth operation.

Name:	RearOHkit.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	6616 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParkingBrake.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	6617
    Rear calliper OH kit.
    Quite often, the parking brake cable was so rusty that it was almost impossible to remove it from its holder. I had to remove the holder itself from the calliper body on this NSX otherwise, I couldn’t remove the calliper body from the calliper bracket. I soaked it with the WD40 inside the Ziploc bag overnight and finally managed to detach it from the holder.

Name:	RearOH.JPG 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	6618
    In the process of Rear calliper OH for the parking brake mechanism.

Blog Entries

Name:	PistonSST.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	6619 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewOldRearPad.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	6620
    Again, it is important to extract the piston by rotating it counter-clockwise and then rotate back the piston to check the smooth operation.
    As there were just a few mm left on the rear pad, we decided to replace it with the new one.

Name:	PressureBleed.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	6621
    After this, pressure bled the entire system. My DIY adaptor got broken the other day so I’m now using this new one from one of the Japanese tool manufacture and modified my existing pressure bleeder equipment. Works very well and saves the waste of fluid. The system is always under pressure even when the bleeder was loosen so there is no worry of air getting back into the system.

In order to get rid of the air especially inside the piston at the rear calliper, there are several technique/procedure to be used.

Time to bedding in the new pads and discs.
    After several mid-hard braking with long cool down period, the brake feels much better and the ABS kicks in at perfect timing.

Another brake system saved.

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

After working on beautiful Yellow NSX-T, it’s time to work on another Yellow model but this time, it’s the Coupe. This NSX was at my place in the past for Health Check and other services.

It's always nice to work on the same car again as I can build up the service history on the specific car.

It will save the time and cost for both the owner and myself as I know what needs to be done through the Health Check Service and also my own Service Log file will tell what has been done on this particular NSX.

1. Calliper lower slider pin
    Last time when I worked on the Rear calliper, I found that the lower slider pin was completely seized and I actually had to hammer it out as it was so tight.
    As I didn’t have the spare pin in stock, I smoothed the pin out and it worked very nicely.

Name:	RearRightLowerPin.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	6622
    Now I got the spare in stock and although the re-furbished one looked fine, we decided to replace it for preventive measure.

2. Brake Master Cyl
    Time to overhaul the Brake Master Cylinder.
    Although the rubber material quality improved a lot over the years, the seal and cup will eventually wear down as they are always sliding against the internal wall of the cylinder. This is the same for brake callipers as well as Clutch Master and Slave cylinders.

If you see black debris/residue in your fluid reservoir, some of them are the broken down rubber materials from the seal and the cup. Although it is not in the Honda’s regular maintenance schedule, I recommend servicing this at least every 2 - 3 years.

Name:	BrakeMasterCylOH.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	6623 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StopperPin.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	6625 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrakeMasterCyl.JPG 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	6624
    The new pistons, seal, cup, stopper pin and so on. Torque check the stopper pin and then the master cyl will be placed in a bag to avoid any dust getting inside while setting up the bench bleeding system.

Name:	PushrodCheck.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	6626
    Although it is very unlikely that you need to adjust the clearance of push rod at the brake booster, I have no idea on the service history of each NSX so I always check it using this SST.

Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast