ID:	7434
    Brush replaed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overhauled.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	7435
    Overhaul completed and re-installed.

Kept the engine running for a while to check the condition and then went out for the test driving session.
    No issues and the refurbished ACG should be fine for many years.

Kaz

Blog Entries

Default ABS Modulator and accumulator

On our NSX, the ABS has been upgraded in 3 stages since its introduction to the world.

Name:	OriginalABS.JPG 
Views:	1947 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	7437 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ndStageABS.JPG 
Views:	1767 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	7438 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LatestABS.JPG 
Views:	860 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	7439
    Original version (1st photo)
    The original ABS was used up until some point 91 - 92 on UK model with the VIN up to ***0T100325.

2nd stage (2nd photo)
    The original ABS showed several issues including sticky solenoids and Honda changed the modulator design and upgraded it (2nd stage) from UK model VIN ***0T100326.

3rd stage (latest spec) (3rd photo)
    Introduced all new design ABS (3rd and final stage) with one box solution in 99.

[Edit: additional info here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?10434-ALB-ABS-generations]

Even with the 2nd stage upgraded ABS, there are some issues reported but most of them happened with the original design.

Ultimately, it is best to upgrade it to the final spec as the modulator and controller box are combined into one box and also it is integrated into the main brake system using the same brake fluid from the brake master cyl reservoir.
    The reaction time and control of latest ABS are far better than the predecessors.

The original and 2nd stage ABS were separated from the main brake system and thus, they had their own reservoir for the ABS.
    The problem with the design of these ABS was that it showed several issues with the sticky solenoids, leaky accumulator, slow response time, dull control and somewhat caused dangerous situation when the accumulator lost pressure resulting in no ABS while the pump was trying to build up enough pressure.

Some owners reported as if the pedal went to the floor due to the lack of kick back at the pedal while the pump was making that famous squeaking noise.

Having said this, the cost involved in upgrading the ABS to the latest spec would be difficult to justify for some of the owners unless you drive your NSX regularly or you can treat the upgrade as insurance.

I upgraded mine to the latest spec because I drive my NSX everyday even in the wet and winter. Also, for me, it is insurance to have the better chance of stopping the NSX under panic situation before hitting something. The repair would easily exceed the cost for upgrading the ABS to the latest spec.

One of the owner contacted me a while ago as he wanted to replace his original design ABS to the 2nd stage one that came out from my NSX.

His ABS was initially recovered by flushing the system and all four solenoids but eventually, the same issue came back and the pump started to kick in every 5sec. The typical sticky solenoids and/or leakage at the accumulator.

The owner simply removed the pump relay as the noise was annoying.

Name:	Original2ndStageABS.JPG 
Views:	635 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	7440
    I checked his VIN and since the controller box was the same as mine, I was comfortable to use my used ABS into his NSX.
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 29-10-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added [Edit: ] section.

Blog Entries

Name:	MinimiseAir.JPG 
Views:	409 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	7441
    In order to take out the original system, you will need to disconnect the brake pipes from the master cyl to the ABS.
    It will be a time consuming process to get rid of tiny air bubbles from the master cyl unless you remove it from the brake booster/master power due to the position of feed hole and fluid passage so it is always best to attach spare pipes facing upwards in order to minimise the chance of getting the air into the cyl.

Name:	Installed.JPG 
Views:	401 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	7442
    Just lots of wrenching around the pipes required during the process.

Name:	SolenoidFlush.JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	7443
    Once the system is replaced, it is best to flush the system and all four solenoids again even it was working perfectly before removal.

Name:	PressureBleed.JPG 
Views:	398 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	7444
    You will need to bleed the entire system as all of the brake pipes between master cyl and ABS were disconnected. Although the fluid is separated between the master cyl and ABS, the mechanical design are related each other and thus, requires the full brake bleeding.

Once done, checked the operation of the main brake system first and then out for the slow test driving session to activate the ABS followed by more activation of ABS at higher speed until the pump kicks in.

Then, adjust the ABS fluid to the correct level.

Hope the owner will enjoy his NSX again once he has time to address other areas.

Kaz

Blog Entries

Default Yokohama Advan Neova AD-08

Finally, I got my new tyres.
    Thank you to some of the members here for their feedback/review/advice on selecting the tyres.

I used Goodyear F1 GSD3 for many sets/years but since the introduction of their F1 Asymmetric, it was not easy to source GSD3s so it was time to search for the new tyres.

Initially, I was looking at Hankook K110 V12 Evo and Yokohama Neova AD-08 but both of them were out of stock at that time.

As I use OEM 16/17 wheels, I preferred AD-08 because Hankook doesn’t come in OEM 215 size for the Front.
    It was the same for GY GSD3 so for quite a while, I had to run 205 instead of 215 at the Front.

For AD-08, even it is made in Japan and it was already released last year there, it was still very expensive and thus, no cost saving in importing it.
    Same result for importing it from US and thus, it was best to buy it in UK.

After long-long waiting time, finally I had a phone call from Yokohama UK and being told that AD-08 for the Front are going to be available during the first week of August.
    So, phoned up the tyre company and reserved all four tyres.
    I was very lucky because I think I booked the last two remaining stock for the rear tyre size for the AD-08. The next delivery will be towards the end of the month.

Name:	AD08.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	7460
    So, new tyres fitted.
    As I always use the same person to mount the tyre, I can say that the side wall stiffness is harder than the GSD3 but not quite as the OEM NSX ones.

When AD-08 was released last year in Japan, I was worried about the wet traction due to the aggressive tread pattern but lots of NSX owners including my friends were surprisingly happy with the wet performance so I can’t wait to drive my NSX in the rain.

My NSX is everyday car so wet performance is quite important here in UK.

I even drive in cold winter and even took my NSX out in the snow during last winter when we had ‘heavy’ snow (for me, snow where I live in UK is nothing) so interesting to see how it performs under cold condition.

Too early to comment anything at this stage as the front tyre size changed compared last set, only covered little mileage, still playing with the tyre pressure and so on.

Will try to provide some feedback in the future.

Regards,
    Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    When AD-08 was released last year in Japan, I was worried about the wet traction due to the aggressive tread pattern but lots of NSX owners including my friends were surprisingly happy with the wet performance so I can’t wait to drive my NSX in the rain.
    I think it is not so much wet conditions as standing water that gives aggressive tread patterns issues - a number of us 888 shod drivers had an interesting time in thunderstorms on the way to the ring!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    I used Goodyear F1 GSD3 for many sets/years but since the introduction of their F1 Asymmetric, it was not easy to source GSD3s so it was time to search for the new tyres.
    What's wrong with the Asymmetric?

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    What's wrong with the Asymmetric?
    They don't make them in 02+ sizes as far as I am aware - not aure about the other sizes

Blog Entries

Hi,goldnsx.

Nothing wrong with the tyre itself.
    It's just none of my friends are using it and thus, no direct feedback.
    On top of this, they don't make this in 16' which I need for my Fronts.

Kaz

What can I say? The AD-08 seems to suit the NSX superbly. I am suitably impressed so far.

I'm running F1 Asymmetrics on the Prelude. They are a superb tyre with excellent traction under most conditions. They are a bit too 'summer' to be much use on compacted ice. Like the Yokos, this is achieved by a very sticky tread compound, meaning a short, happy life. One caveat; the F1's sidewalls aren't really stiff enough and I'd not recommend them on an S2000 or NSX if handling enjoyment is preferred.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

10. Default

Are the AD-08 going to be available for my tiny roller skates?(15/16'), I imagine the rears will, but the front is a hard size to find a decent tyre.

Thanks.

Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast