Thread: Headlamps adjusted for driving on the right

Default Headlamps adjusted for driving on the right

I'm driving to Austria in a few weeks, planning to stop off at the new Porsche museum and the ring on the way back, should be awesome.

I'm going to be covering quite a few miles, many of which will be at night so thought I'd get the headlamps properly adjusted over so the beam pattern is correct for driving on the right. I've used the stickers before but they narrow the beam on the (UK) nearside without filling it in on the (UK) offside like you'd want when driving on the right.

HUK tell me that the beam patterns can't be changed, is this normal? Guess I'll have to use the stickers, but was a little surprised.

I'm using the DTM HID kit if it makes any difference?

Cheers,
    Rich
    '91 Red/Black Manual Coupe
    '93 MX5 for the track. Red. With a roof that's, er, black...

The lights do not have the 'kick' up to the left that is usual. The stickers blank out that part of the beam.

I have just used the headlight level adjuster to lower the lights down, and not had any problems (meaning I haven't been stopped yet).
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

I thought the manual stated there was no need to adjust the headlights for driving on the wrong side of the road due to the flat beam, the same is true of the S2000.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyG View Post
    HUK tell me that the beam patterns can't be changed, is this normal? Guess I'll have to use the stickers, but was a little surprised.

I'm using the DTM HID kit if it makes any difference?
    IF the headlamps were more normal projectors, with the "kick up" Kevin describes, HUK would be right but if there is no kick up you can simply adjust the whole headlamp unit on each side to point right instead of left.

HID bulb makes no differance in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The lights do not have the 'kick' up to the left that is usual. The stickers blank out that part of the beam.
    If you can adjust the headlamp units sufficiently to the right you won't even need the stick on deflectors.

Not taking advantage of the kick up allowed by the regulations would go some way to explain the critisim the headlights sometimes come in for. The kick up helps illuminate further to the left and centre of the road (for RHD cars) without dazzling oncoming drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by simonprelude View Post
    I thought the manual stated there was no need to adjust the headlights for driving on the wrong side of the road due to the flat beam, the same is true of the S2000.
    That would confirm the no kick up design and why the headlights aren't as good as they could be.

Cheers

Mark

Well my NSX-R NA2 headlights do have a more pronounce angle than the pop ups and are miles better in terms of the cut out.

I would say just stick some tape anywhere on the light and be done with it. No need to mess about with adjsutments and at least you done your due diligence.

Just my two p.

AR