Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: CCU Computer board Service - Part 1/3

Blog Entries

Recently, I was helping another owner for his Air Con (A/C) CCU.

The owner visited my place to take Health Check Service on his NSX and although he didn’t notice any issues with his A/C, he wanted to have his CCU serviced as a preventative measure considering the age of his NSX. It was a 96 model.

So, during the Health Check Service, I removed the CCU for the owner and while I was removing it, the owner watched the whole procedure so that he can re-install it by himself.

After the removal of CCU, I opened the box and showed the state of the board in front of the owner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PoorWork.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	6755 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameOff.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	6752
    Straight away, we noticed that someone already worked on the board in the past with very poor soldering technique. Also, just one capacitor was replaced and rest of them were left without being touched. As the result, there were several leakage from old capacitors causing further issues.
    In fact, while I was showing the board to the owner, the jumper wire that someone used in the past came off so it was good to have it serviced any way.

Name:	NotEvenChecked.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	6754
    After this, I inspected the board further and found that one of the track at diode array DM11 was not even repaired and causing almost open circuit.

For CCU service, replacing the capacitors are very small part of the actual process. Only 13 capacitors to be replaced so won’t take too long.

Name:	DM11C44.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	6753 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreeJumperWires.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	6756
    Most of the time is being spent on the test process as well as cleaning and repairing of damaged circuit tracks and pads. For this board, I had to use three jumper wires and one hard wire plus soldering bridge to re-create the GND plain at C44.

After the standard check process, the board was coated and then final test and diagnosis check were carried out.

The serviced CCU board was returned to the owner by Royal Mail Special Delivery Next day service with maximum insurance value of GBP2,500.

After this, I had a phone call from the owner stating that he was experiencing some issues with his A/C. He mentioned that even he changed the temperature setup, the air mix motor (water valve) didn’t move and thus, no changes in the air temperature.
    I explained the test procedures at the final stage of my service based on the check sheet which included the visual inspection of water valve using my NSX so asked him to re-check all connections and offered several options to solve this issue.

After a short waiting time, I had another phone call from the owner and he found that he didn’t connect the big green connector at the back of the CCU properly and it got loose.
    After it was fully connected, everything worked fine and the owner was happy.

Another CCU saved.
    Hope you will also consider having your CCU serviced before it’s too late….

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

Over the past several months, I was helping several owners for many services including A/C CCU board.

Recently, I worked on one of the CCU board and the owner was happy for me to post some of the photos.

At the end, this was one of the worst boards that I have ever dealt with and I’m glad that I managed to recover its functionalities.
    I had to use 8 hard wires, 3 jumper wires and many soldering bridge to rebuilt the damaged circuit board.

Prior to sending the board to me, the owner told me that someone already worked on the board in the past.
    Unfortunately, the work carried out was not great and actually caused more damages….

Name:	MotorDriver.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	7545
    When I received the board, I was quite concerned about the leakage from one of the capacitors reaching the motor driver IC. I don't stock them...

Name:	DPscrewLoose.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	7543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPcorrosion.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	7544
    Also, unfortunately or fortunately, the owner sent the display module by mistake and I found that the screws holding the display circuit board were not even tightened. Also, there was lots of corrosion inside the display module as if some sort of moisture (drink??) was present in the past.

Name:	ReallyBad.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	7546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VentMotorCircuit.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	7542
    I had to spend about 5 times the hours that I normally spend to service the board.

Blog Entries

Name:	Exploded01.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	7547 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poor01.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	7548 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poor02.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	7549
    It almost looked as if something exploded.
    The poor service work carried out in the past causing more damages to the board.

Name:	Rebuilt01.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	7550 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rebuilt02.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	7551
    Rebuilt process.

Blog Entries

Name:	C11after01.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	7552 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C24after.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	7553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C32sideB.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	7554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C44after.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	7555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C44sideB.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	7556

I just hope that the owners will consider having their A/C CCU circuit board serviced before it gets to this stage....
    Almost 99% of the damages were done without being noticed by the owner...

Regards,
    Kaz

Blog Entries

Recently, another owner visited my place to have his A/C system checked.

The Fan only operated at the max speed and although rest of the functionalities such as mode, vent, temperature setup, air mix and even the A/C On-Off felt like working fine, there was nothing shown on the display.

The A/C CCU was taken out from his NSX while he was waiting and the actual board was shown to him.

Name:	C44CRM3before01.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	7576 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C44CRM3before02.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	7577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6removed.JPG 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	7578
    Most of the capacitors were already leaked but not too bad apart from the one at C44.

It managed to dissolved many circuit tracks and pads around C44, DM11 and CRM3.

Blog Entries

So, started to re-create these damaged circuits.

Name:	C44CRM3DM11process01.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	7581 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C44after.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	7580
    In the process before cleaning

Name:	C6after.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	7579 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jumpers.JPG 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	7582

At the end, used 4 hard wires, 5 jumper cables and several other methods for the service.

Put the entire A/C CCU including the display module on my NSX and carried out about 80miles test driving session with several different A/C setup.

All went fine including self diag and function/operation check so the unit is ready to be returned to the owner.

Kaz

7. Default service on ccu

Hello There Kaz i would like to take up your sevice on my ccu. So could please arrange for me to drive my nsx to Buckingham so i can have this work carried out.
    Thanks Rana
    If you would like to contact me my number is 07968529842

8. Default

hi kaz i wonder if you can help me i am a honda tech worked on nsx since 1996 used to be guy salmons i have a customer with climate control panel issues ie only works on auto or fan operates at higher speed a/c works ok would you be interested in repairing his panel i can deliver to you if that is ok how soon could you repair? if you req my email i can let you know many thanks alan a1 nsx

Blog Entries

Hi, Alan.

As I have disabled the PM feature and you haven’t enabled ‘receive email’ feature through your account, could you kindly send me an email through NSXCB site?

In order to use this ‘Send email’ option, you must first log-in to the NSXCB site and then please open any of my posts.
    Then, left click on my user ID ‘Kaz-kzukNA1’ and you will see the ‘send email’ option in the drop down menu.

You won’t see this option unless you have logged in to the site AND looking at one of my post and not at the thread title list view.

Without looking at the CCU board, it’s difficult to tell the estimated service time but please allow about 5 working days. I’m normally busy and I’m hoping to finish working on one NSX by the end of next week. You can follow the progress through the Blog section of this site.

As there will be no delivery service over the Christmas/Bank Holidays and possible delay on the service, we need to be bit careful with the delivery side.

Any way, will wait for your email.

Regards,
    Kaz

10. Default

I prefer the board to come to me unmolested, and I see some really bad repair attempts too. Most are able to be saved but it just makes more work.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast