Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Prices

Mariscalcus Guest

Default NSX Prices

A subject dear to everyone's heart whether selling or, in my case buying, and also one actively discussed before on the forum. So, how can a 2004 NSX with 35,000 miles be on sale for £31,000 on Pistonheads and a 2005 NSX with 33,000 miles be on sale at Avonvale Honda for £43,000? Which one is mad or am I missing something here?

If the former had been a targa (and assuming there is not some dark secret with the car) I would buy it in a heartbeat. Having just lost out on an excellent 3 litre example the 2001 targa on Pistonheads (as discussed in a separate thread) did not look unreasonably priced until this 2004 coupe turned up for £1,000 more and a substantially lower mileage. I am happy paying a fair price but how do I know what that is?

I appreciate that the market is volatile to say the least but is this not getting just a tad ridiculous?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mariscalcus View Post
    So, how can a 2004 NSX with 35,000 miles be on sale for £31,000 on Pistonheads and a 2005 NSX with 33,000 miles be on sale at Avonvale Honda for £43,000? Which one is mad or am I missing something here?
    The 2004 is seriously underpriced, that's around trade in value I would say.

I appreciate that the market is volatile to say the least but is this not getting just a tad ridiculous?
    At the end of the day, the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
    Buyers are not 2 a penny so if you 'need' to sell, that is going to be reflected in the price.

I would still hope to get in excess of £20k for mine and hopefully closer to £25k.
    Unless circumstances seriously change then I hope never to be in a situation where I need to sell.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

3. Default

One is under priced and one is over priced.

Forget about looking for a targa and getthe cheap LBB - looks like a great deal to me. (ask him if you can have the plate as well!)

Saying all that I've always regretted not getting a targa... but in the 2.5 years I've had mine only 1 suitable 3.2 targa has come up.

How long do you want to play the waiting game... you could get this one whilst you wait for a Targa to come up if you've got cash spare to temporarily own two.

L*
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

I'd buy the cheaper one. Just do all the proper checks before you sign your life away.

It's worth being especially vigilant with the paint on the LBB cars as it's a three stage pearl and very hard to match. i.e; stonechips etc.

If the paint doesn't match anywhere or there's dust in the clearcoat then it's definately had paint at some time.

This isn't the end of the world but it's obviously worth knowing when you're buying. Additionally, red and longbeach blue cars have tinted clearcoat which means that if you use a light cutting compound, say autoglym resin polish, you will remove a bit of colour onto the cloth.

If I were looking at a car in either of those colours I'd ask the owner if I could test the paint on each wing by polishing a small area. They may however tell you to...........off!

Additionally, don't believe the wives tale about bumpers being a slightly different colour than the body because 'the paint dries differently' It should all match.

Finally, If you buy an LBB I'd definately get the nose paint protected.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

A subject dear to everyone's heart whether selling or, in my case buying, and also one actively discussed before on the forum. So, how can a 2004 NSX with 35,000 miles be on sale for £31,000 on Pistonheads and a 2005 NSX with 33,000 miles be on sale at Avonvale Honda for £43,000? Which one is mad or am I missing something here?

If the former had been a targa (and assuming there is not some dark secret with the car) I would buy it in a heartbeat. Having just lost out on an excellent 3 litre example the 2001 targa on Pistonheads (as discussed in a separate thread) did not look unreasonably priced until this 2004 coupe turned up for £1,000 more and a substantially lower mileage. I am happy paying a fair price but how do I know what that is?

David
    I believe the LBB £31k is fairly priced and will sell, the 2005 car won't. People that expect the car market to pick up in the next three years, and are therefore putting their car up for sale at pre recession prices are deluded, IMO.

It looks like a good deal to me.

I would keep in mind:

Clutch

Tyres

Brakes

BTW Don't forget that in a years time you will need the BIG service, original TB was for 5 years and is still the same part number!
    Last edited by AR; 07-12-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Correcting

Hi Mariscalcus,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for an NSX.

If I've read your post correctly, the Silver Targa has sold in a little over 10 days. So how does this help you with your search?

As is often discussed, good well documented examples of the NSX will still change hands at good money, pretty much irrespective of the climate and current motor market. The potential problem as a buyer with clearly a sensible budget, is that the well kept cars do not often come onto the market. So this means two things. 1, you will need to be patient depending upon how 'specific' your requirements, ie color / spec and 2, you could choose to consider a less well documented but sound NSX, invest some tlc and develop it into one of the more desirable examples.

Of the 2 LBB on offer, one is about £3 to £4k under, the other over by a similar amount. The latter has been at said dealer for some months so potential for a deal. The cheaper one is, IMO, priced to sell as Simon suggested above.

All that said, the next couple of months may see 1 or 2 nice examples appear due to the current economic climate. If they do, and you see one you want, maybe owned by a club member, the lesson learned from the Silver one is to move swiftly to discover ownership of one of the best kept supercar secrets on the road today.

Happy Hunting

Regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Welcome too & good luck in your search. Patients is vital if you are after a specific colour & model as Honda UK only sold bewteen 400-450 NSX in 15 years. I waited 7 to 8 months for the right one at the right price.

FHSH is a must with good to excellant service history and spend as much as you can on the right car & with the Credit Crunch, you may bag a good/great value car. Targa manuals are the rarest, also alot of people prefer the pop up lights version or pre 2002 models too. Once you do get your idea car at the right price, you will never regret it !!
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    It looks like a good deal to me.

BTW Don't forget that in a years time you will need the BIG service, original TB was for five years and is still the same part number!
    But what's to say that Honda wern't being overly cautious on the earlier cars?
    I can't see them just raising the time limit of the new shape(or at least 04>) to 8 years just for the hell of it.It must be safe.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    But what's to say that Honda wern't being overly cautious on the earlier cars?
    I can't see them just raising the time limit of the new shape(or at least 04>) to 8 years just for the hell of it.It must be safe.

No it was to comply with the 1995 change in US legislation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast