Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rbay .... not ebay

Talking Rbay .... not ebay

So after months of nagging I finally gave in and accepted the need for a second NSX

Seriously though, this is a little project that has been on the cards for some time, so as Luke has slipped off for his hols, S5 has been into rehab!

So the project, as you may have guessed from the heading, is to freshen the engine bay in preparation for a new engine cover. I had previously made a start when we held the cleaning day earlier in the year but it was still in need of a clean.

Day 1: the wet work ... with the weather on my side I took the opportunity to give the bay a good wash and degrease. A liberal spraying with a cleaning agent was then left to soak before getting into those awkward little spaces using a variety of brushes. Everything was then rinsed and dryed ready for the next day.

I then attended to another little job that I wanted to do, you'll have to wait to find out what this is from Luke. At the same time he can explain his rubber glove fetish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refelct 2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	4553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	4554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start 2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	4555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubber glove.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	4556  
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

So with a dry ebay it was time to start removing as many items as possible. This included several brackets, important looking black boxes , numerous pipes/tubes and the airbox.

With as many items removed as reasonably possible, it was time to mask up all the bits that I didn't want to paint.

Painting began in the deep dark corners and then progressed from left to right across the bay. Painting was a series a light layers to build up a nice deep finish. The paint used is a high temperature satin black.

Name:	grubby corner.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	4561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masking.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	4562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first paint.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	4563  
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

With all the painting complete and dry, it was time to rebuild S5

Part of the strip down process for me had been to take lots of photos of individual parts BEFORE removing them. Add to this a logical process I wasn't left with any spare bolts or parts!!

Whilst refitting the airbox I took the time to re-route all the associated plumbing so that it nows runs under the unit leaving the bay with a tidier look.

So to finish the job it was time to dress the engine and pipework and the results can be seen in these last few photos.

Luke, I hope you like the results, you can certainly show off your new NSX-Rbay once you find a new cover.

regards, Paul

Name:	finish 1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	4564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finish 3.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	4565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finish 2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	4566  
    Senninha

Fantastic job Paul, Qs form here please!

For a moment I thought you had actually brought another NSX!? Also confusing is the IOP in the bay & the red exterior, then I realised! Very trust worthy of Luke to let you paint his car, but then again its in the hand of someone with very high standards & attention to detail is second to none. Well done Paul
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Wow looks good, just need to spray the rest of the Orange parts now
    Oh and get the NSX-R coolant tank
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Im still none the wiser why Bay was IOP and outisde red?
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man View Post
    The car was IOP, then vandalised and resprayed Rosso Corsa.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man View Post
    Previous owner didn't like the IOP and sprayed the exterior 'Ferrari' red. Taking the engine out and to do a proper job in the engine bay and other areas was too much hassle....I think.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by simonprelude View Post
    Wow looks good, just need to spray the rest of the Orange parts now
    Oh and get the NSX-R coolant tank
    +1....the R tank cover would tone down the coolant tank and blend it in nicely.

10. Default

WOW I am very impressed with the results Paul - many, many thanks

I have a black coolant tank waiting to go in but think I will order something a bit more classy and shiny.

That looks great and sooo much better than the orange and red combo!

From the pics you have far exceeded my expectations and it looks so much cleaner - a bay to be proud of

I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

The previous owner wanted it to match his 360 in his driveway; when the wing, bonnet and bumper were knocked he took it to Honda for the repair and respray. The bodyshop obviously remember the job and I spoke in length to the top man before committing to the car. The result is a one off NSX in Ferrari red... now even more exclusively carrying a custom sprayed Senninha Rbay

Many thanks Paul.

I'll call you at the weekend to arrange how to get her home.

Did I mention... I'm REALLY pleased with how she looks?

Thanks again.

Luke

PS thanks
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast