Thread: Oil Pressure

Default Oil Pressure

Hi everyone.

I have a quick question!

I've been entrusted with my fathers NSX for a while (yes, lucky me). Following a short (20 mile) trip this afternoon i noticed that the oil pressure guage was reading between 1-2kg cm2. When i first start the car the reading is more like 3-4kg cm2.

I checked the oil level, which appeared to be fine. The oil itself appeared to be quite fresh. I also noticed that when i ran the engine through the revs (in neutral 1500rpm - 4000rpm) the oil pressure would climb and then fall as the revs returned to normal.

I've driven the car again this evening and the reading on the guage appeared to stay around the 3-4kg cm2 level.

Please could somebody advise on what the expected reading should be. The car is a 92 (J) automatic and has just ticked over to 100k today.

Much appreciated!

hi mate ok on mine its 1.5-2
    on a good drive its gets to 3-4
    drive like you stole it can reach 5 tops

lol hope thats good for you

thx amo

Very helpful. Cheers Amo!

4. Default

Matt and I were interested in this guage when I first purchased my car as our readings were different at different revs. We spoke to Brian at Norton way who is very knowledgeable about NSXs. He said that the guages are set up to be central from the factory and that you should only worry if the needles tip the extremes of the guage.

Other cars I've seen are not settled in the middle and so the "extremes" may be different.

I think you should see a jump in pressure when you go into VTEC. If the levels are fine then I wouldnt worry too much.

Regards,

Luke
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

5. Default

Firstly, your dad is a fool! Secondly, I wish my dad had had an NSX to lend me.

Oil pressure will be higher when cold. Once warmed up it will drop. Broadly speaking the pressure will move from a defined minimum upwards proportional to engine speed until it reaches max operating pressure on the relief valve.

From memory, at low engine speeds, mine runs 3ish cold, 1-2 warm - I'll have a look later when I go out to give you some better numbers. Not sure I've ever noticed a step when it shifts to VTEC.

Personally I'd be more worried if the pressure went low. The control system effectively caps it in terms of high.

Never rev it hard when it's cold or we'll send the boys around as this counts as abuse

Now stop divving about on a forum and go out and enjoy the car. Lucky sod.
    Ex. 2004 NA2 LBB Manual Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Lankstarr View Post
    I think you should see a jump in pressure when you go into VTEC. If the levels are fine then I wouldnt worry too much.

Regards,

Luke
    Do you mean drop Luke?

7. Default re: uder pressure

Hi

The oil presure builds up to 4.5K and then drop when the vtec engages and settles down in the middle of the range. The reason for the drop is that when the vtec engages the oil has to travel further around the engine to the secondary cam shafts for the vtec.

claudio

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Hi

The oil presure builds up to 4.5K and then drop when the vtec engages and settles down in the middle of the range. The reason for the drop is that when the vtec engages the oil has to travel further around the engine to the secondary cam shafts for the vtec.

claudio
    Vtec is normally 5400, 4500 or so is the intake tract.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    Firstly, your dad is a fool! Secondly, I wish my dad had had an NSX to lend me.
    Firstly, thanks. I'll let him know. Secondly, you've got your own NSX which is clearly better than borrowing one. I'd say you're the lucky sod!

Never rev it hard when it's cold or we'll send the boys around as this counts as abuse
    I've come out of a VTEC Prelude so i'm well accustomed to thorough warming up before driving hard.

Now stop divving about on a forum and go out and enjoy the car. Lucky sod.
    I intend to!

Thanks for all the info everyone. You've put my mind at ease.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Do you mean drop Luke?
    I did think about it for a second and concluded drop - dunno why I wrote jump!

Mechanics has never been my strong point!

Luke
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"