Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Recommendations?

Default Scary wet incident last night...so to speak!

Hi Guys,

Just wanted some advice. On driving home from work last night at about 8 o'clock it was absolutely pishing down on the duel carriageway. I slowed to about 50 as it was quite clear, and I was a little nervous as it is the first time I've driven it in hard rain!

On two occasions, the first the worst the car aquaplaned across the centre of the road, and finally caught traction about 2 feet from the armco :shock: (sorry for mis-spellings) my heart was in my mouth! It had a major twictch on the second occasion as by this time I was doing about 30 and considering pulling over and waiting for the rain to stop !

I now contemplating getting 4 new tyres for the winter as this thing is my daily driver, and although I won't be taking it out in icy conditions a fair amount of wet driving will have to be done - unless I give up working!

On the car at the moment are Yoko's on the front and Michelin Sports on the back. Could anyone suggest good 'safe' winter tyres for me, as it shook me up a bit, and I just don't have the cash for a second car for the winter at the moment!

Any comments appreciated greatly, I haven't found any topics specifically about wet driving but if there are sorry for the re-post!

Matt.
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

2. Default

Matt, you don't mention if your car is a T1, T2 or T3; all have difference tyre sizes. I trackday and race my NSX and have used quite a few types of tyre. Assuming your car is a T2, with 16” front and 17” rear tyres, I suggest you go for 225/45x16 fronts and 255/40x17 rears. The difference in tyre height over the standard 215/45x16s and 245/40x17s isn’t worth worrying about. By doing this, you’ll be able to access more modern tyre technology. If you want standard road tyres, I suggest Bridgestone SO3 PPs or Toyo T1Rs. Both are very good (particularly in the wet) and well priced. You can get them through somewhere like www.blackcircles.com However, Kumho is a very good but underrated brand as well. One thing you should also keep an eye out for is the inside edges of you rear tyres. The NSX’s aggressive ‘toe-in’ means that your tyres will wear quickly and you won’t necessarily see the wear without jacking the car. With my experience of the NSX in the wet, I’d be assured that it’s your tyres, not the basic design of the car. Have fun!

Regards, David.

Default Sorry...

Hi,

Sorry, as per my signature, it is a X plate, 2000 (pop up lights though) 3.2 manual - same as Damiens. Thanks for the info - I'll have a propper read of it now!

Cheers,

Matt.
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

4. Default

Doh! My mistake Matt. I didn't notice it previously...

I was desperate for some rears and have ended up with Goodyear Eagle F1s (GSD3 - in the size david f recommends). They seem ok in isolation, but mixed with OEM yokos on the front is a bit of a nightmare. Obviously quite a difference in sidewall stiffness or something, anyway result is the rear of the car feels like its doing the steering at times! Will try and get some Eagle fronts too and try them out properly, they seem reasonable enough and at least you can get hold of them.

Hi,

Damian, so sorry for mis-spelling your name in my last post - my spelling, for an English graduate is shameful...so sorry nothing more annoying I know!

Thanks for the advice, I'm just so worried about upsetting the balance of the car - especially as I drive it every day!

I like F1s too but not if it feels like you described, but perhaps as you suggest matching them front and back would help, and as I'm going for 4 new ones that would be the case!

Cheers,

Matt.

7. Default

Simple rule for predictable handling in any car but especially an NSX... never mix tyres across the same axle or front to back. Any short-term savings could prove tragic... it's as simple as that.

Cheers, David.

Yeah yeah, fully intend to get the fronts, I was just caught out (again) with illegal rears and had to get something pronto so I could use it. Will add a note to the thread with what I think of them when I get round to it.

9. Default

See my earlier thread about keeping an eye on rear tyre wear on an NSX due to aggressive 'toe-in' characteristics. If NSXers don't keep a close eye on this, you can literally be down to the canvass on the inside of the tyre and yet have visible thread on the outside (i.e. the bit you can easily see). You have been warned...

Cheers, David.

After a puncture in one of the rears just replaced them with Bridgestone RE010's, lots of £££ but same as front so can't complain too much.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast