Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Recommendations?

Hmm - While I may get flamed for this, I never liked running my tyres on the recommended pressures (I think they only apply for Factory fitments tyres like A022's) - I just adjust mine until they 'feel' right (to me, anyway - everyone else would probably hate it!).

When I got the T1R's they were setup as you say 34/40, but the car felt twitchy (maybe the same thing) so I lowered the pressures to those stated and I'm happy with them now...

Default I had the same experience as Flinty on a lesser car...

Hi,

On the first tyre change on my Civic Type-R I wanted to return to Goodyear F1's that I had had on my previous two Hondas. I got them fitted by my local Hi Q garage, which despite that sound are actually fantastic - it is a franchised one and they have looked after all our cars for tyres and laser tracking etc for a few years now.

They fitted the F1's which were only done in a 215 the S03's on the car were 205's (on the back) these sizes quoted may not be spot on though it is 3 years ago!

They said to go for a little drive down the road to make sure they were ok. It was a little damp, but by no means wet. The car felt a little sluggish, not in terms of speed, but just an odd sense feeding back through the steering. Felt like I was dragging the back end along. I came up to a medium sized roundabout outside my parents house, and took it fairly slowly, and before I knew it the car was facing the other way in the middle of the road!

Not sure if this is totally relevant, but from that day on I have never experimented with tyre widths on any Honda we've owned, an ITR, the CTR and S2000 and now the NSX!

P.S. The garage removed and replaced the tyres for no cost which was nice of them too, as it was my call on going up the size in the first place.

Cheers Matt.
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

"Not sure if this is totally relevant, but from that day on I have never experimented with tyre widths on any Honda we've owned, an ITR, the CTR and S2000 and now the NSX! "

Unfortunately the NSX sizes are weird. And its becoming difficult to get sports rubber in anything other than 25 inch bling size (ok, I exaggerate, but you try getting the newest Michelin Pilots in 16/17 inch - can't be done).

I'd be happy to stick with Yoko A022s the whole time, but last time it took me a couple of months to get a set of rears - they had to order the things from Japan and I picked them up from the distributor in Milton Keynes. It was a good job I know people in the car industry that could help me sort it out.

I'm still intending on trying S03s out next time, unless there's a better option. Toyos are sort of interesting but I've seen plenty of bad press on them for other applications.

Default I haven't had the pleasure of getting any for mine yet...

OK,

Point taken, I haven't had to get any for mine yet so I have that joy in store! The Honda garage put Pilot Sports on the back which I wasn't too happy about, but they seem fine so far. It has the Yoko on the front too.

I will still do everything I can to get the correct size from my experiences though! :wink:

Matt.
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

"I will still do everything I can to get the correct size from my experiences though!"

Yeah, right with you. My feeling is cars are designed by engineers who know more than I do about how to make a car handle. The NSX was designed with some specific tyres, and I'd prefer to keep it the way those engineers intended.

But needs must and the tyres are getting a pain to get hold of, so next time I'll probably switch. Besides I believe something like S03s offer more grip, particularly in the wet (think Kevin has had them) - possibly at expense of some comfort/noise?

Interesting and good thread...

The NSX was engineered, what 16 - 18 years ago!? and I suspect tyre technology has come on a bit since then. Also the Honda engineers were/are forced to compromise between safety and performance, we may all want the performance, but they want to stay out of US courts!!

For the record, I'm on my second set of Kumho's. Over sized front and back 225 & 255 on OEM rims ( based on advice from Mark in Dali - to maintain balance!!). Like BrownBear and from some experimenting at a few track days I now run pressures of 33 & 36 always, again as it produces the best balance for "me".

I suspect that tyres are a little like shoes and are a very personal thing, its a "confidence" and "feel" thing I think, and so in the end its everyone to their own!!
    Ciaran

Default Tyres

Glad to hear a few of us are running oversized tyres on standard rims without any problems.

Mine is going back tomorrow to have the fitment of the Toyo's double checked. If all else fails, it'll be going back to Honda to have the Alignment re-set again.

With a bit more time on my hands at the weekend, I experimented with the driving. On a straight road, with good surface, I pulled the steering wheel to the right, then released grip on the wheel. It went back to centre, then carried on past to pull left, then back to the right, and finally back to centre again. Feels like i have four wheel steering, or that the front wheels are disconnected from the back.

Last time I looked, it was a Honda, not a Fiat.... :?

Either i have a poltergeist who doesnt like straight roads, or the front wheels are pointing towards each other !!

I'm sure it's not the Toyo tread being mismatched to the standard fit Dunlop's or simply the bigger 255 size. Will keep you posted.

Default Re: Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Flinty
    I'm sure it's not the Toyo tread being mismatched to the standard fit Dunlop's or simply the bigger 255 size. Will keep you posted.
    Ahhhhh... (or maybe not.. )

Just re-read your original post (must have been blind first time round, sorry).

While I'm happy with my T1R's, I have them all round - ie: They're matched. I'm not at all sure that mixing and matching different tyres (from different manufacturers) is a good idea- especially on the limit. This may not be relevent to your specific problem, but I'd guess it isn't helping either.. Any tyre guru's want to step in?

9. Default

Dear all, thought I would contribute my experiences with tyres and mention a good and low cost fitting centre.

Firstly, the size of the tyre isn't as critical as you might first think. For example, the Type 2 NSX which was phased out in 2002 had 245/40x17s fitted to the rear. The Type 3 NSX (i.e. latest spec.) runs 255/40x17s at the rear. The difference in diameter is just 8mm (i.e. taller). By contrast, the Type 2 NSX runs 215/45x16 fronts and the Type 3 runs 215/40x17 fronts. Again, the difference is small, just 3.9mm (i.e. taller).

I have a Type 2 NSX (late 2000 model) and run Bridgestone SO3s. Although the OEM spec is 215/45x16 front and 245/40x17 rear, I fit 225/45x16 fronts and 255/40x17 rears. The rears are actually the same overall size at the Type 3 and as they are the driven wheels, the gearing is hardly altered over the Type 2 NSX (just 8mm diameter remember). The fronts are just 9mm taller in diameter. So, if you think you can tell the difference, then you are a better man than I!

The point is, by going up to 225 fronts and 255 rears (for a Type 2 NSX), you get access to the latest tyre technology; think how far cars have come in the last 10 years? Now, do you really want the old Yokos, Dunlops or Bridgestones that Honda recommend (assuming you can source them and are happy to pay the inflated – sorry for the pun – prices)?

I personally only use my NSX for track days and hope to go racing next year in the mid-engined series. For that blast, I'll be using 235/40x17 fronts and 265/35x18 rears. The wheel rims will also be a half inch wider front and back (i.e. 8x17 fronts and 9.5x18 rears). The message to all you guys worrying about the OEM recommendation is, don't! The latest tyre technologies (whether with Kumho or the more exotic brands), generally speaking, means better grip, wear and ride.

Oh, nearly forgot… the good tyre fitter! They’re called SE Tyres and have a number of outlets in the South of England (http://www.setyres.com/centres.asp). For example, Bridgestone SO3 PP (225/45x16) from Black Circles fitted was £134. From SE Tyres they were £130 fitted. Good job done too. Best of luck everyone! Regards, David.

I think the tyre mixture must be part of the problem here.

The side walls must be different and that must lead to a very strange feel and balance front to rear, any chance you could get a "test" or loan of some Toyo's for the front!!...yeh I know it's a bit of an ask...but he who dares..... :roll:
    Ciaran

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast