Thread: 2002 headlight bulbs

Default 2002 headlight bulbs

Just curious as to which bulbs are fitted to 2002 UK car headlights?

Cheers,

AR

Anyone knows if a D2S will fit?

I'm pretty sure the 2002 cars still had halogen headlamps and most likely an H1 bulb fitted.
    The D2S is a HID bulb and has a completely differant fitting to an H1, it therefore won't physically fit into the headlamp. Of course you'd also need the HID Ballast/Igniter to "drive the D2S bulb.

You can get re-based D2S bulbs to fit most if not all halogen fittings but the light output from the bulb is very differant to the halogen bulb and will not work as well as well in a reflector/projector designed for halogen bulb output.

Lots of good info here... http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

However, many people run re-based D2S bulbs, with retrofit HID kits, in halogen refector or projector headlamps and sware they're much better.

If you do go with a HID conversion kit, make sure you go for 4100-4300K (white light) D2S bulbs and not >6000K (blue light) or, apart from giving away some light, you'll look like a Saxo/Corsa boy with their paint on "cool blue" attempts

Mark

Cheers Mark just waht i wanted to know. BTW the US and JDM are D2S or so I've been told, so it seems that only the UK got shafted.

I don't know crap about bulbs but i do know this.The lights on my first two NSX's (pop-up lights) were rubbish,however the ones on my 04 were amongst the best i've had in any car.

Cheers,

Ivor.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I don't know crap about bulbs but i do know this.The lights on my first two NSX's (pop-up lights) were rubbish,however the ones on my 04 were amongst the best i've had in any car.

Cheers,

Ivor.
    Yep, it's more about the design of the headlamp itself than the bulb type and the "brightness" of the bulb.

Mine (1997 pop-up) has original fit JDM HID projector headamps with newish D2S bulbs (yes they do age as do halogen bulbs) and while they are pretty good they're not as good as my wifes old S2000's headlamps which were ostensibly similar ie HID projectors with D2S bulbs.

First thing to do if you think your headlamps are poor is fit new bulbs, not necessarily "brighter" (higher wattage/lumens) ones, just new ones.

Mark

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Mine (1997 pop-up) has original fit JDM HID projector headamps with newish D2S bulbs (yes they do age as do halogen bulbs)
    Paul (NSX2000) and I had a discussion about this. I think HiDs were standard on JDM cars post 1998... but none of the UK cars got them... is that right!?

FWIW my aftermarket HiDs from Dan are excellent... and yes Paul I've sorted out the sidelight thanks!

Luke
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"