Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC2 or DC5

Question DC2 or DC5

Calling all you Teg R drivers current and old....

I'm due to give back the Accord Company smoker (literally, since at the last service the garage FORGOT to replace the oil cap!! )

I'm tired of paying this g'ment tax and as we dont need the tourer now Avalyn has a CRV, I'm toying with buying a bit of fun.

As the car will be used for business/commuting as well, I'm leaning towards the DC5 c spec (04 or earlier as dont like the facelift). But is it worth double the ££ over the old favourite DC2?

I spent some time with Dan over the 'ring trip chatting through some very minimal mods to set either model up.

I'm yet to surf the ITR site (assuming one exists) as I wanted to gather some neutral feedback from you guys/girls here.

Finally, as with most things offering some performance motoring, pricing seems to be all over the place so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Paul barry knows his Tegs, and I am sure he will chime in.

For me a nice DC2 will do the job, but were do you find a nice unmolested example???

Cheers,

Ary

No, still don't get it.......................

(What is a DC2 / DC5) is it code for some exotic

Obviously as I don't even know what it is, I cant offer any guidance!
    Current toys= MV Agusta Brutale, BMW K1200s, Mini cooper SD, Jaguar XF, Ex S2000 owner
    91 NSX Owner between 16 July 05 and 18 Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Greybloke View Post
    No, still don't get it.......................

(What is a DC2 / DC5) is it code for some exotic

Obviously as I don't even know what it is, I cant offer any guidance!
    Shame on you ... model variants of the early (2) and later (5) Honda Integra Type R .... the car that will beat the Civic Type R anyday (well maybe not Barry's Civic!)
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

www.itr-dc2.com and www.itr-dc5.com are the main ones dor each car and each site has same people on a lot owned both etc etc..

My views....................

DC2. amazing piece of kit for what its designed to do. Attck a road like no other FWD car has the right to and have balance and ability beyond its humble beginings.
    The engines on the whole are very reliable if looked after (like most things), they rev to 9k and start producing power from 6k.. below that are flat and a whole world away from an NSX.. but in town and bobbing about vtec is not needed and the car pulls fine even in 5th at 30 mph or so.. suspension is not soft but is not hard either, coupled with good seats long journeys are not so bad at all.. just crank the stereo up to overcome the 5 spd box which means the engine is sat at 4.5 to 5k on the motorway. Great MPG out of vtec of course

Cheap to buy now and for the money an amzing back road tool.

DC5s...... The tegs gone smooth. Engine noise, road noice and NVH all lessened and the ride is more comfortable. The engine is smoother, the gearchange is easier and as are all the controls. Just a lot easier to live with on the road.

6 sp box makes crusing on the motorway very easy and quiet--- u do get wind noise at 160 GPS tho

The interior is so much modern in the DC5 i instantly fell in love..what a cockpit.. great dials, great seats AGAIN and a whole much nicer feel than the DC2. Gearchange closer to hand, steeringwheel proper nice and all switchgear modern and very nicely designed and operated imo..

On the road the DC5 is still a very good drive but missed some of the tippytoeness of the DC2, still planted and grippy and fun but not the same EDGE as a DC2..but what has?

The engine is a masterclass.. more pull from 4k than a DC2 and the way it hits the limiter still accelerating so smoothly used to make my spine tingle everytime. Like a release of energy the K20 is..it just keeps on going and going.. the DC2 is like a switch- BAM ! Its in at 6k and kinda stays theb same till 9k pulling at the same rate.. The DC5 gets faster and faster if u will........

DC5 still very good MPG for the performance and as far as i can tell..still a bombproof engine if looked after ! time will tell.. many a DC2 on 200k still revving to 9k

For everyday use and a backroad blat the DC5 is wonderfull.. a few choise mods (geometry, brakes ( as bit wooden but work fine) and maybe zorst for some fruityness) make it feel so much better and act better.

The DC2 out the box can be left alone..so good on braking and everything honda got it so right. but again with mods feels even beter- but rawer. But does not feel special inside as getting on a bit and the engine can be tiring having to try and KILL IT to get anywhere fast

i wanted a track car and the DC2 fits the bill.. light, easy on tires and fuel and cheaper to buy in the first place.

I do miss the DC5 for picking Laura up and going to see blackpool lights or out for tea etc as such a nice car i could have so much fun with.. but i didnt wana butcher one...! and cost a lot more than a DC2.

Heres some pics of my Red DC5 as she was a beaut...... u all know what my DC2 looks like
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

recognise the hotel ?
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

(Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

C PACK = Folding mirros button, Rear tints and rear wash wipe. Its a comfort pack so makes life easier if u think about it.

B PACK i think is tints and mirrors but unsure.

But remember on the DC5s everything was an option. Folding mirros, tints, wiper, start button, silver trim, parcel shelf etc etc..

so cars can come with ANY combination! Tints set the car off the tho and mirros button well handy.

Paul its all down to cost..go drive examples.. see whats about for the money and see what u wana do. If u can put up with more noise and harshness and old interior a DC2 is a great car.
    Last edited by dan the man; 07-07-2008 at 08:13 PM.
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

(Juan Manuel Fangio)

(Gordon Murray)

Just sold our DC2

Needed just about every bush replacing, engine rebuild, cam belt, new clutch and flywheel etc. 150k miles and still got best part of £3k for it.

If I was looking again at one, I'd be tempted with a DC5.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

when i had both...

Id take both out 1 after another to see which i liked most.. but both i liked in differnet ways.

I didnt miss my DC2 when i had the 5 on its own tho... but now im back in one so go figure...
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

(Juan Manuel Fangio)

(Gordon Murray)

Paul,

We had a '98 ITR, one of the original Championship White cars - number 150 to be precise proof attached next to my '99 VTi Civic!

I have never driven a DC5 but I can tell you that I would love another DC2 one day. It was without doubt the most amazing car I have ever driven in context. I will never forget the day the Honda salesman too us round the Worcester ring road in the car we bought - just impossible to believe a FWD car can grip so well, and the B18's are legendary as you will well know!

Good luck looking - I'm very jealous

HTH, Matt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIV VS TEG.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	4077  
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast