• 9lb pulley enough is enough

4 40.00%
  • 12lb pulley go the hole hogg hell yes

6 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more power ??

Paul,

with regard to going better on the track, the Friday and Saturday sessions taught me a lot; First of all, and echoed out in the recent suspension thread; the standard car rolls a fair bit which in Robs case among other things lead to roll in oversteer and eventual spin(thanks Markc).

Additionally, and as you mention, the brakes; now understandably it's easier to follow and guage braking and turn-in accordingly, so that's part of the equation.
    However, after racking Darrens brains last night, he came up with a few things that made a lot of sense.

First of all, we often throw money at things too hastily when there are other things we can do before the AP racing brakes are fitted.
    Basically, changing brake fluid to higher boiling point product, braided hoses, different pads, perhaps diferent grooved disks, but perhaps most importantly, trying to achieve greater cooling for the disks so that the brake judder and fade some of us reported is reduced.

Finally, lack of knowledge of the track is a humbling thing; Amo, Ian and I were challenged and sometimes passed by some pretty standard stuff on friday. The cars were running great corner speed and were braking later. I know this is partly an experience thing, but the CRX we watched on a Skyline session was passing 400-500hp 4WD stuff on what is considered a pretty quick circuit.

If I keep my car, the first two things I'll be doing is brakes and suspension.

Cheers,

James.

P.s, sorry for the tangent.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Car set up and driver training are pretty much needed for a start unless your car is lacking through some fault.

It's nice to have a lot of power, especially for the pub bragging rights etc.
    It just means you have to come into the pits kicking your car and scratching your head when 130 bhp Protons aren't easy to get around.

One of the quickest cars I saw on the Saturday at Japfest was a White 3G prelude with sunroof welded shut. I think the car is pretty much standard power wise, just set up well with a driver who knows the track.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Paul,

with regard to going better on the track, the Friday and Saturday sessions taught me a lot; First of all, and echoed out in the recent suspension thread; the standard car rolls a fair bit which in Robs case among other things lead to roll in oversteer and eventual spin(thanks Markc).

Additionally, and as you mention, the brakes; now understandably it's easier to follow and guage braking and turn-in accordingly, so that's part of the equation.
    However, after racking Darrens brains last night, he came up with a few things that made a lot of sense.

First of all, we often throw money at things too hastily when there are other things we can do before the AP racing brakes are fitted.
    Basically, changing brake fluid to higher boiling point product, braided hoses, different pads, perhaps diferent grooved disks, but perhaps most importantly, trying to achieve greater cooling for the disks so that the brake judder and fade some of us reported is reduced.

Finally, lack of knowledge of the track is a humbling thing; Amo, Ian and I were challenged and sometimes passed by some pretty standard stuff on friday. The cars were running great corner speed and were braking later. I know this is partly an experience thing, but the CRX we watched on a Skyline session was passing 400-500hp 4WD stuff on what is considered a pretty quick circuit.

If I keep my car, the first two things I'll be doing is brakes and suspension.

Cheers,

James.

P.s, sorry for the tangent.
    Hey James, speak for yourself the only thing that passed me was a fully preped integra track car,couldn't do much about him.

On Friday I was fortunate to have 20 minutes instruction ,this gave me another 10mph at the two fastest parts of the circuit,agreed suspension and brakes will improve handling ,however most of us just need a few hundred more track hours and a bit more talent

Cheers,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post

Spot on James,

And interesting that it was Darren who I spoke to several times regarding brakes and chssis tweaks. Listening to his advice and track experience I have made the following brake changes;
    R groved discs
    Mu pads
    Braided lines
    new fluid
    over sized cooling ducts

What I noticed on track, compared to spirited road use, is that I suffered from no fade on Saturday, whereas on fast twisting b roads, the brakes will start to develop some fade.

As for the chassis, the mods are limited too
    R front anti roll bar
    2 x R chassis bars

The result is less understeer and body roll with an improved directness to the steering. I've left the rear as per OEM as this suits my driving for on road. On track it would of been an advantage if I had the the S rear anti roll bar, but I've avoided this as I find the 'softer' setting works better on road

The other point that none of us can deny is that of driver training and I will be looking for some of this in near future, but mayeb a bit more advanced than this http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/trackda...?storyId=18109

regards, Paul
    Last edited by Senninha; 23-05-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER BULLET View Post
    Hey James, speak for yourself the only thing that passed me was a fully preped integra track car,couldn't do much about him.

On Friday I was fortunate to have 20 minutes instruction ,this gave me another 10mph at the two fastest parts of the circuit,agreed suspension and brakes will improve handling ,however most of us just need a few hundred more track hours and a bit more talent

Cheers,

Ian

The extra pace before Tower really made the difference for me also.
    I might have to have another go at some point:-)

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

ok just to let every1 know im going for the 12lb
    will be doin the engine build in nov
    going to the states to pick up me some parts

thx for all your concern lol
    thx amo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12