Thread: Uprated suspension advice

Default Uprated suspension advice

Hi kidz,,

after tracking last weekend I was wondering about suspension. Normally I would trawl through here and Prime looking for insight, but I'm too tired for that so here goes....

What kind of suspension set-up is best for fast road and occassional track without straying too far from OEM comfort?

I've been looking at the SOS stuff and the ones that stand out are the type-S and the Moton (although v.expensive).
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Type S mate, OEM and no worries about anything not fitting.

mate what about tein they do them for the x

thx amo

James,

Has to be OEM Type S. Talk to Mark for his personal experience. It will also lower the car by about 1/2" With $$ rates you will probably be into £7-800 plus shipping. This also requires new ARB's F+R.

Remember that whilst it will give a marked improvement over your OEM set-up on the track, on the road you may find that the stiffer settings will induce understeer or make the back feel nervous, IMO.

HTH, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Sounds like Type S then. The SOS stuff did look pretty expensive and then you've still got to set it up?!!

Thanks for the advice guys,

Cheers,

James.

Hi James, well it's kinda hard to say since it's a little while since I've driven a "normal" NSX on the road and I haven't ever driven one on track. I will offer the following advice and observations...

1) The Type S is a LOT firmer than a stock NSX (60-70% firmer) but it is also very well damped so big bumps and holes that look like they're gonna hurt actually don't.
    2) At low speed and over really bad roads it's borderline too hard but of course you have the fantastic NSX steering geometry so the front never feels like it's gonna bump steer you into trouble. My seats probably make the suspension feel a touch firmer than even it is.
    3) Over better but still bumpy roads it's terrific. You really have to do something daft to provoke serious understeer and I still find the traction is amazing. I hardly ever trigger the T/C on thre road and bare in mind I had, and am comparing it to, a Porsche 993 (on RS suspension) before which is one of the kings of traction.
    4) On circuit normal NSX's roll... a lot! From behind it's quite dramatic and if you can find some pics of an NSX fully loaded in a fast corner the front looks even worse. Famously this leads to roll oversteer and spins. Plenty of NSX's have spins on track days, I haven't had one yet and the car has never felt the least bit tail happy even when the T/C (I always leave it on) is blinking while accelerating through a fast corner. Maybe I'm just driving too slow
    5) I get a lot of road noise and tyre roar. It's the one thing that marks down my car's Grand Touring credentials. I've not noticed this is other NSX's so I figure the suspension has a fair bit to do with it. Of course I also have less sound proofing and the mesh engine cover and single glazing to the engine bay that also contribute.

For what I use my car for ie sunny day dashes, 1-2 trackdays a year and 1 epic journey every couple of years it's near perfect. On the fast flowing N and D roads of Eastern France (between Epernay and Neuchatel) on my way Italy in 2006 it was superb and over the Isle of Man TT mountain course last year it was fabulous

Remember if you change the springs and dampers you should change the anti- roll bars to match them.

I'd be very happy to take you for a ride in mine if we manage to be at any of the same meetings so that you can get a feel for it and if it suits your requirements.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. I know that you don't get anything for nothing, but from what you describe, the Type S suspension seems to be a good compromise next to stock and Type R suspension.
    I'm still wondering what the multi adjustable setups are like from the states, but if they're anything like bike suspension, it can take a long time to get it right so maybe fit and forget is the best option.

Hopefully we'll both make it to a meet soon and we can go for a spin.

Cheers,

James.

I would go with a Type S, and agree with Mark's comments. Having driven and ridden in standard, standard with anti-roll bars, Type S/R, my TEIN and full Comptech, the Type S is the best compromise.

Make sure you get the complete suspension, anti-roll bars are part of the suspension remember. Mark's car is more composed on the track than a standard one, and I suspect is a nice ride on the Queen's highway too.

Being Honda made it will last too, unlike this TEIN rubbish I have now.
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.