Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The second hand market

1. Default money that's what i want - ( Flying Lizards )

Greetings gentlemen! I don't think anybody buys a supercar because they are worried about resale values - I think it is because they want to drive one. Low secondhand values mean that you can buy another when your current one is worn out - how is this bad? I have owned a Maserati Merak for 11 years and the complaint in the Maserati Club is that it was unfair that Maseratis where worth less than half of Ferraris whereas it actually is an advantage. In the last couple years Maserati values have increased all this means is that most people will never get the chance to own and drive one even if they have some money because they are out of reach to most enthusiats. When you are comparing brands it is important to compare like with like, for example, 1 dealer and a 2 years waiting list to have your classic Maserati repaired compared with hundreds of dealers and no waiting lists for Ferrari. Ferrari have a policy of supplying any part no matter how old your Ferrari is compared to Maserati policy of flogging all the old parts to Campana and dumping any owner pre 1999. For example, the hydrolic headlight high pressure switch on my Merak - unavailable for 20 years - got so fed up I have had it remanufactured for myself! Even Bill McGraths could not sort it out in 20 years. (I was a control engineer many years ago).

if you look at the secondhand values of NSX's you could easily have a Ferrari if you want a badge that much, but whats the point, everyman and his dog has one! After owning a Merak for 9 years I decided I wanted another car and I chose an NSX. When I bought my Merak it was with my heart but when I bought the NSX it was with my brain - and I have never regretted it - the Merak on the other hand.....

With any luck I will be at the Bristol Italian car day on Saturday with my Merak if you want further impressions of owning both say hello...

On a final note the gentleman who is organising the Italian Car festival would also like an NSX maybe we know something about classic italian cars that most people don't! the pain, the pain ...

Hey cas,

I'm at Bristol tomorrow in a 1964 Alfa Guilia Spider, Blue and Right hand drive. I'm booked in to park in the "Blue" area.

What colour is your Merak and what area are booked into? I'm looking forward to see all the lovely machinery that'll be on show

Personally I'd love to own a Bora... ohh and a Ghibli, the 60's one obviously.

Lets gang up on the organiser and talk NSX's with him

Cheers

Mark

Where and what time does this get underway? I'd have to hide the NSX but might be interested in a morning visit to this...Oh I suppose I have a Tubi so maybe that counts?!
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

4. Default Bristol Italian car day

Hi mark

I will be in the green area - entry no 201 the name is Claudio

The Bora is a great car but I once met an owner at Supercar Sunday (Gaydon) who had just bought a Bora and said that having got close to my Merak he preferred it! I said he should have bought one and saved himself alot of money! The truth is that the Merak is more stiking and better balanced than the Bora, so if you are rushing across country there is little difference and if the lanes are really winding the Merak has the edge. The other little known fact about the Merak is that they have one of the best sounding engines of any Maserati as I can demonstate for you tomorrow!

As for your 1964 spider they are simply beautiful and I would love to be shown round one!

Hope to see you there.

Claudio

5. Default re: Merak

Hi

It is rosso corsa with black interior.

Claudio

Who wants a VW Bora???

How did W get away with actually using the BORA name then???

Default bora

Who wants a VW Bora???

How did W get away with actually using the BORA name then???

The car sounds lovely Claudio, I'll try and find you at some point tomorrow. I'll be parked at Blue 10.

Mark... both Maserati and VW like to use the names of winds.. Bora, Scirocco, Mistral, Ghibli, Shamal... err BiTurbo Ford (and Kawasaki) bagged Zephyr.

I guess Maserati forgot to trademark the name Bora for the use in car names.

It's an all day event with the roads where the cars are displayed closed between 11am and 4pm. The weather is supposed to be quite nice tomorrow so it should be good

Cheers

Mark

9. Default

ive always hated older 911 dashboards
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

Paul, I would love to be hooning around with you guys! Shame you all live down South and lifes a bit hectic/stressfull at present, so keeping my replies short & snappy! I get married in a week !
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast