Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by gcon45 View Post
    I run a motor factor over here in Northern Ireland and we also fit tyres. One of my distributors was able to source them for me
    Thanks, will try and do the same over here

Yet more advice please - I currently have Yokohama AD08R Z215/40W17YO (or 83W probably) on the front and need some rear tyres.

I am looking at the Yokahama Advan Sport V105S 255 40 R17 98Y (Black Circles fitted £137.56) or Yokahama Advan Neova AD08R 255 40 R17 94W (£176.11). As the speed rating on the Sport version is the required “Y”, I am tempted to go for those as a higher load rating is apparently okay vs the Neova which has the correct load rating but a lower speed rating at “W” (and a higher price!). I use the car as a daily on normal UK roads only.

Noting Kaz’s earlier comments on the V105, would that be okay?

Many thanks,
    K
    Last edited by Kippers; 02-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    I wrote the same thing here regarding the speed rating but whether the insurance company is aware of this fact, that's another story.
    Just ask your insurance company and also ask them what happens if the owner installs winter tyre for snow driving.
    This was raised to the insurance committee several years ago when we had lots of snow in one winter here in UK.

Speed rating is not as simple as just showing the capable max speed.

There is a reason why it's written together with the load index.
    If you have ever visited the tyre manufacture's dyno, you will understand how the speed rating is tested.
    The tyre is loaded at the level of load index weight and then the speed is increased at specified rate/time to achieve the max speed.

Speed rating is based on flat surface and load index of 91 and 95 are both over 600kg.
    So, if you are driving on the flat road surface at high speed and if your loadcell is reading more than 600kg at each rear corners, you better check your chassis or open the boot to see what's in there.

On flatpatch with corner gauge, standard NSX will show about 350 - 450kg at each rear corner depending on the spec/side and you won't be able to generate enough downforce to achieve load index figure at each corners on flat surface even with the NSX-R aero package.
    So, even with W rating of 270kph and unless you can magically generate well over 600kg corner weight at each rear tyres, you are fine. Again, if you are worried about the insurance, just ask them.

Based on your other posts, your NSX is likely to be NA1.
    If you have ever tested the NA1 NSX out of the factory without any modifications on the proving ground, you will find it quite challenging to exceed 270kph without following wind.
    The speedo on the dash is not accurate enough at this speed region so you need different equipment for this.

NSX is very sensitive to alignment change.
    I used to spend more than 2Hrs for adjusting with the place I use.
    As goldnsx suggested above, it's not the equipment but more of how the operator adjusts it.
    Hope another owner in your area can recommend you a place.

Regarding the tyre, that tiny contact patch is what you are relying to turn/stop the well over 1,000kg metal mass energy under all sorts of conditions.
    5mph is enough to throw your body forward if you hit solid wall.
    Regardless of NSX or not, please select decent one.
    For me, tyre is another engine on our NSX.

Kaz
    I've touched on this several times so I'm just going to quote my old post.
    If using the default display setting of this Forum, it's on Page 30, post #294 of this very thread.

Haven't seen the feedback on V105 from @NSXR Spain but not sure how many miles he managed to cover through the cold winter period.
    Even snowed during the last Barcelona F1 test.
    The feedback from other owners doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

Personally, in Europe, as long as you have E marking, you can use any tyres and it's up to the driver on how to drive but any of the tyres you mentioned (V105, AD08R) above would be fine for your driving conditions.

Kaz

hello, I have not been able to complete many kilometers and give my opinion about the Yokohama V105

we have had bad weather in Spain, and I have been cleaning the injection and others of the car

I have only been able to complete about 100kms, I can not give an answer yet, but they feel good
    NSX 93 conversion NSX-R 02

Many thanks for speedy responses.

For information, I am currently with Classicline and have just called them. Charlotte confirmed that as long as the tyres are street legal, Classicline have no issue with whatever you put on the car.

I am going to go for the V105 as it has a higher "Wet grip braking performance" rating of "A" vs "B" for the AD08R.

Thanks again,
    K

Don't go on the ratings, they are more or less worthless.

Anyway, any tire will go down to F or G after 3 years or so.

7. Default

I went for ad08r for my nsx with standard 15 and 16 inch wheels.
    Very very fine tyres, i love them.
    I chose those keeping in mind i drive the nsx less than 2000kms a year so tire Wear is not a Big deel for me

If it's any help, I now have AD08Rs on the NSX and S2000.

Still impressed...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
    Thanks, will try and do the same over here
    Blackcircles didn't have the 255/40R17 but Camskill did, so now have a set of brand new matching tyres - happy!

10. Default

Any feedback from those who've had Pilot Sport 4 fitted to their NSX? I've got a spare set of 17/18 wheels I need to put some tyres on, and with the wider choice of options in that size was wondering if the PS4 makes for a better all-rounder than the AD08R.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast