Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne View Post
    Just had 255 40 17 GY F1 GSD3s rear tyres fitted, they stated their guide for that particular tyre & size, recommends 33 PSI, but when I questioned this, they stated this is only advisory!? My previous BS RE010 was 40 PSI, but I know when you go wider, it normally means less PSI is required. Is 33 psi about right guys for those with GY 255s or any other 255 tyre brands? Cheers

The sticker on my driver door states 40PSI for my 255 standard fit tyres (2002 facelift)

How long for new tyres to bed/wear in? Went out for quick spin last weekend, with 33 PSI after tyre fitted weekend before, what big mistake! I did'nt boot it since back felt slightly spongy! Got home, put it up to 40 PSI, then went out last night, it felt firmer, but thought the grip was'nt there when compared to the oems BS RE010 before. Mind you they were probably at the most grippiest when near the TWI. Hopefully the GY Eagle F1s will be brilliant when worn little! Only done 10 miles carefully at 33PSI and 15 miles at 40 PSI.
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 16-02-2008 at 03:12 AM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

How long for new tyres to bed/wear in? ......... Only done 10 miles carefully at 33PSI and 15 miles at 40 PSI.
    James,

With your annual mileage it will take about 6 months

I have the F1's and they took a good 500 miles to really bed in. When I first drove them I thought I'd made a big mistake as they lacked feel, bite, steering feedback. They do improve with the miles. Mine have done around 7k and are wearing evenly with OEM suspension settings.

Also, even though the suns been out lately there will be very littel heat in the tarmac so with only a 10 mile run you will not even be getting the tyres warmed up enough to even think about getting decent grip.

You're just going to have to drive it more!

HTH, regards Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Can't sleep! Thanks Paul, I guess I will have to drive it more then but will only go out if its sunny or wait until Spring proper Shame they take 500 miles or so to really bed in One thing I'm really hoping for too is the side walls are stiff enough, I know they may not be like the BS RE010s but these are no longer made
    Honda's Finest Hour

Eagle F1 GS-D3 have pretty stiff sidewalls. Mine have still too much thread on them to feel as good as the OEM Yoko 215/45/16. But ok, my fault, I went with 205/45/16.
    If you really want stiff sidewalls, get Bridgestones.

Default Tyres more tyres & more!

Reading Monaco92 thread about tyre grip, I looked at the side shoulder block of my new 255s GY F1 GSD3s (only done 50 miles) & wander is the recommended 40 psi as with 245s too high? Seems like the curved or the 90 degrees of tread & sidewall mean theres less contact patch? I know I have to wait until the they worn down as Paul said, maybe 500 miles or more with TSC left on (no burning rubber!). Those with 02+ 255s states it should be 40 psi for oems BS or Dunlops, but when I had tyre put on, the garage states the overall recommended is only 33, which is far too under inflated!? What a pain tyres are with OEMs are no longer available!
    Honda's Finest Hour

7. Default

Reading Monaco92 thread about tyre grip, I looked at the side shoulder block of my new 255s GY F1 GSD3s (only done 50 miles) & wander is the recommended 40 psi as with 245s too high? Seems like the curved or the 90 degrees of tread & sidewall mean theres less contact patch? I know I have to wait until the they worn down as Paul said, maybe 500 miles or more with TSC left on (no burning rubber!). Those with 02+ 255s states it should be 40 psi for oems BS or Dunlops, but when I had tyre put on, the garage states the overall recommended is only 33, which is far too under inflated!? What a pain tyres are with OEMs are no longer available!
    I'm no expert but wouldn't reducing tyre pressure result in a tyre with more lateral movement of the sidewall ? Although I have reduced mine to 37psi to see the difference...when I get round to driving it.

Yes thats why I put them up from 33 to 40 psi & the bouncyness had reduced & improved. Let us know how you get on with 37, but I think its a case of being patient & waiting for wear to make the tyres sit flatter/wider, but then theres less tread depth, but thats no problem since I don't drive her when raining! Guess its a case of drive her more or change tyres, which is pointless as brand new!
    Honda's Finest Hour

Hi guys, sorry, I've a dumb question. If I only know the size of the rim, how do I then work out which size tyre to use? Say, i'm looking at wheels with width of either 7, 7.5 or 8 (x17 or 18), how do i work out the width of the tyres?

As always, your thoughts are much appreicated.

cheers

Vic

It would help to know the sizes of your alloys! Then go onto a tyre supplier's website, type in the size of your alloys, then a selection would appear, but you want a wider tyre, use Simon's above tyre calculator to be within the 5% tolerances for nor triggering your ABS & TCS lights. HTH
    Honda's Finest Hour

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast