Thread: NA1 cluster illumination

Default NA1 cluster illumination

I wonder if anyone can throw some light (sic) on this please?

My instrument cluster does not appear to have any backlights on when the headlights are off.`the reason I know this is when I get in the car and start the ignition in the garage everything is dark. If you turn on the headlights it all lights up as expected so I presume that the bulbs themselves are ok? In addition I'm sure I remember that there is a light round the ignition key hole to help you find it, this also is off.

I'm wondering if this all points to a fuse somewhere rather than blown bulbs as I presume the daytime and nighttime backlighting comes from the same bulbs?

Thank you for any help!
    1991 Red/Black manual NSX 5 53,000 miles.
    2016 BAC Mono 7,000 miles (just mind blowing, how is it road legal?)

Daily driver 2005 Porsche 997.1 C2S manual (Peak 911 IMHO)

you're use to modern (or perhaps french) cars aren't you???

there is no dash illumination unless the side lights are on

yes there should be a illuminated ring around the ignition switch, that's tied into the footwell interior light circuit (i think... i'd have to check on mine, but it's raining!)

edit.....you seem to have reported the same issue just over 2 years ago, oct 2020

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ith-headlights

i look forward to the 2024 revisit
    Last edited by britlude; 27-11-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rkanaga View Post
    ........ My instrument cluster does not appear to have any backlights on when the headlights are off. ........

As Jonathan mentioned, that’s perfectly normal.

It’s part of the dash light brightness controller circuit and powered through the taillight relay that it only switches On when the side/parking/small lights are On.

If the gauge cluster visor (the brightness controller together with the head light retractor sw are held in there) was removed in the past, make sure the connector is bottomed out towards the circuit board.

If not, even if the mating connector on the cabin wire side fully locked, you won’t get lights that go through this circuit (illumination for the gauge cluster, multiple switches, the audio head unit, A/C CCU, etc).

The actual brain of the brightness control is behind the left side seat.

Make sure the female termilnals on the cabin wire side are not damaged or corroded.

Quote Originally Posted by rkanaga View Post
    ....... In addition I'm sure I remember that there is a light round the ignition key hole to help you find it, this also is off. ......
    The IG key cyl light is part of the Entry Light Timer system and not through the brightness controller mentioned above.

Together with the driver footwell light, these should stay On for several seconds after closing the driver’s door.

Have seen several example of intermittent connection at the key cyl light bulb or simply, dead bulb.

As the Entry Light Timer system is managed by the ICU (Integrated Control Unit), it could be a factor but not so common.

However, enough number of failure reports recorded.

They were mainly for the failure of the rear defogger and the intermittent wiper circuits.

Any way, you can just get the replacement light bulb but I think it’s covered in thin rubber/silicone cap that is not on the replacement.

The existing cap is most likely already bonded to the dead bulb….

Same bulb with the cap used at the cigarette lighter and the ash tray.

PS. I’m also looking forward to the future re-visit .

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 27-11-2022 at 01:55 PM. Reason: emoji

Thanks guys, I had completely forgotten about the previous post (must be getting old...)

I'll follow the advice given.

Thank you
    1991 Red/Black manual NSX 5 53,000 miles.
    2016 BAC Mono 7,000 miles (just mind blowing, how is it road legal?)

Daily driver 2005 Porsche 997.1 C2S manual (Peak 911 IMHO)

My ring(!) doesn't illuminate either.

I got a new lamp for it ages ago but then discovered it's practically an engine-out job to change it and I wasn't prepared to risk damaging the plastic trim to do it. So it remains in the bubble wrap.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson