Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

You won't regret it. The S2000 is even more critical in terms of fitted tyre. Good to know they work there also.

In the early years I had Bridgestones, S-01, S-03 and the last one I had was the RE050A. It's a stiff and heavy tyre with excellent performance. They also set the record in longlivity (I wonder how I've reached that), contrary to my expectations. But they are beast to mount on the rim. I prefer a medium-soft sidewall now. It doesn't make sense to have one of the lightest rims on the car and fitting an extra heavy tyre like a Bridgestone if there are equivalent and lighter substitutes. That's why I won't go back to Bridgestone again.

Hi. My rears are now old and need replacing. They are Yokohama 245 40 ZR 17 95Y.

I've read Kaz mention Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R and looking online I can find these in 245/40 R17 W(91).

Are these the closest match now available ? I've no idea myself. I drive it slowly, no track days, etc. so don't need long life or high performance just the one that won't cause insurance or traction control issues as Kav has also mentioned.

Is something wrong with the speed rating of these new Yokohama ones or can you get others which are correct but cost the earth ?

Also, does anyone recommend a specific fitter in the north west as I'd like the alignment checked too.

Thanks

The Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R is a very sporty tyre, nearly a semi-slick with a soft tyre compound. Ususal drawbacks with semis: loud, expensive, high wear and not that very safe in rain or at low temps.

If you drive conservatively I'd recommend a good known brand of sport tyres, not semi-slicks to avoid the potential issues mentioned above. Goodyear, Bridgestone, Hankook (in this order) are my favorites for cruising up to spirited street driving.

Yokohama has been 'famous' in the past for NOT having a set of the same tyre model for the front AND the rear of the NSX.

W (up to 270 km/h) would be no problem in Switzerland as it would be in Germany.

Alignement: I know more places NOT to go to then professionals.

Blog Entries

I wrote the same thing here regarding the speed rating but whether the insurance company is aware of this fact, that's another story.
    Just ask your insurance company and also ask them what happens if the owner installs winter tyre for snow driving.
    This was raised to the insurance committee several years ago when we had lots of snow in one winter here in UK.

Speed rating is not as simple as just showing the capable max speed.

There is a reason why it's written together with the load index.
    If you have ever visited the tyre manufacture's dyno, you will understand how the speed rating is tested.
    The tyre is loaded at the level of load index weight and then the speed is increased at specified rate/time to achieve the max speed.

Speed rating is based on flat surface and load index of 91 and 95 are both over 600kg.
    So, if you are driving on the flat road surface at high speed and if your loadcell is reading more than 600kg at each rear corners, you better check your chassis or open the boot to see what's in there.

On flatpatch with corner gauge, standard NSX will show about 350 - 450kg at each rear corner depending on the spec/side and you won't be able to generate enough downforce to achieve load index figure at each corners on flat surface even with the NSX-R aero package.
    So, even with W rating of 270kph and unless you can magically generate well over 600kg corner weight at each rear tyres, you are fine. Again, if you are worried about the insurance, just ask them.

Based on your other posts, your NSX is likely to be NA1.
    If you have ever tested the NA1 NSX out of the factory without any modifications on the proving ground, you will find it quite challenging to exceed 270kph without following wind.
    The speedo on the dash is not accurate enough at this speed region so you need different equipment for this.

NSX is very sensitive to alignment change.
    I used to spend more than 2Hrs for adjusting with the place I use.
    As goldnsx suggested above, it's not the equipment but more of how the operator adjusts it.
    Hope another owner in your area can recommend you a place.

Regarding the tyre, that tiny contact patch is what you are relying to turn/stop the well over 1,000kg metal mass energy under all sorts of conditions.
    5mph is enough to throw your body forward if you hit solid wall.
    Regardless of NSX or not, please select decent one.
    For me, tyre is another engine on our NSX.

Kaz

Like Kaz, I'm very impressed with the AD08Rs on the NSX. Once they've warmed up a bit, but that's also true of the specific-Yokos on the Leg End.

I had the F1As on the Prelude and that was a fantastic car in all conditions. If you do not drive the NSX like you stole it, I cannot see why they'd not be suitable.

HTH.
    Last edited by Nick Graves; 08-05-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spellinge
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    Like Kaz, I'm very impressed with the AD08Rs on the NSX. Once they've warmed up a bit, but that's also true of the specific-Yokos on the Leg End.

I had the F1As on the Prelude and that was a fantastic car in all conditions. If you do not drive the NSX like you stole it, I cannot see why they'd not be suitable.

HTH.
    I too am very impresssed with the Yoko Advans which I bought on Kaz's recommendation. Excellent tyres and not "loud" at all nor any problem in the wet - in fact remarkably stable so I am not sure why that comment was made unless it refers to track speeds. They are not cheap but a bit of Googling can usually turn up a pair at a good price and yes, they are not the longest wearing although given my limited annual mileage that is not a problem for me.
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red

As long as semis are in newer condition they are not loud. Semis usually get loud when they are worn below 50%. The risk of aquaplaning also dramatically rises with wear. In the UK you have quite a lot of rain...

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    The risk of aquaplaning also dramatically rises with wear. In the UK you have quite a lot of rain...
    This to me is the key point with the AD08R (I've got them fitted and I rate them highly, for reference) - it's a good tyre as long as you understand its' design compromises. Specifically aquaplaning - it's got very limited tolerance for standing water, like all 'track day tyres'. I'd also treat it with a little respect in low temperatures, but that's about it...

So if your NSX is a fair-weather friend (so to speak), then aside from extra cost vs the RE040/050A pairing (which I had before and are more 'all-round'), the AD08R is an upgrade - it's more precise, it gives more feedback, it's not noisier (so far), and it's got a fair bit more dry-weather grip. Looks good too, if perhaps being ever-so-slightly TOO wide and square-shouldered.

If you've an NA2 with 17"s all-round, there are more options - I THINK you can still get Michelin Super Sports in those sizes, and that's an excellent tyre - broadly similar performance characteristics to the AD08R but better wet-weather behaviour.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

My NSX is a little bit spoiled and/or I'm a little bit too 'sissy' to drive in wet conditions, I only drive it in dry conditions. I also understand the importance of 'grippy' tyres at the front esp. while braking. Maybe the AD08R would have been a good choice but the Goodyears are the better compromise for me I think. It's a little step-up over Hankooks. But the bigger step-up was the complete brake system of the 99/00 model in my case. As I've just bought Goodyears for my two sets I'll have to wait another two years until I can give the AD08R a try. Good to know the rubber of my tyres doesn't get old. Old compound is the worst thing to have.

I use Toyo's 888R on the front, now they are what you call "semi slick" but I find as long as you adapt your driving style to the road and weather conditions you shouldn't run into any problems and as for ageing, 5-6,000 miles max but the grip is phenomenal on dry roads.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast