Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rear tyres advice

1. Default

Thanks very much for the advice on tyre pressures Nigel - I'll put a few more psi in next time I'm out.
    Richard

GY F1 GSD3s are still out there...

I'm having a pair of rears fitted at my local independent shop. (245/40/17)

They didn't have any problem getting them apparently.

Expect these to be my last though

G
    '93 Sebring Silver : sadly now sold
    '93 Range Rover LSE : now LPG so 11mpg not so bad. If I replace any more parts it'll be a new car.
    '07 Landie Defender 110 SW XS: heated seats!!! they'll be asking us to wash it next....
    '96 MX5 : project car
    '09 Honda XL125V : new hobby

Default Toyos

Had to get 2 rear tyres in a hurry so not enought time to research properly. I bought the car with Khumos on all round and although they were always very good and put up with about 30 track laps before they went below 3mm I thought I would go for a more expensive couple of tyres. So I went for 17" 245/40/17's Toyo Proxies.....and to be honest they are crap! Even after about 800 miles now, the bck end is weaving about all over the place, not sliding but the rear tyres feel like they are taking it in turns to bite into the tarmac causing the thing to sway about a bit under good acceleration or high speed corners.....not good at all....perhaps I will change the fronts to Proxies as well and then maybe the fronts will help spabilise the car better....

Until then I would avoid Proxies

Mark

Hi Mark,

Several owners have reported similar experiences with mixed f to r tyres. Doesn't seem to matter which brands you mix, the results seem constant, ie the rear feels to be loose.

When I bought mine I had Yoko front and B'stone rears. Front stuck like glue in dry was useless in wet. Rear just struggled to keep up!

IIRC, Monaco92 had B'stone fronts and F1 rears and had same issues as yourself. Tyres went back to Goodyear for check and were given the all clear. Suggestion was to switch the fronts to F1's but in fact he went to B'stones on rears as fronts were still good and is now happy

HTH and keep it safe

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

As Paul states alot of owners have the same problems when the fronts are different brand to the rears even with the top names. I'm still waiting for my new GY F1 to bed in so trying to do some miles (glad to hear as you lot are mumbling!) When bedded in, think I may change the fronts to GY IDC so GYs all round. If I had the choice I would have gone BS 40 fronts & BS 50 rears in the perfect world since BS 10s are no more. I think it important to get the same brand all round too!
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 09-08-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Default tyres

Thanks guys,

The fronts probably have another few months left in them but its not worth making them last when the car is handling like this.....looks like another online visit to Blackcircles and then back to the garage.....oh well!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567