Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear tyres advice

Default Rear tyres advice

I need new rear boots and thought may go up a a size to 255 40 17 ( have 94+ alloys reg 1999). Do anyone know whether the 02+ oem tyres will fit? Were these Dunlops 8080s & Bridgestones RE040 DZ 94 Y? Are these widely available or not? Thought about 255 GoodYear F1 GSD3, but these are now like gold dust too!
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 13-11-2007 at 12:16 AM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

People have gone up those sizes without any problems. What have you got up front?

Fronts are still OEMs 215 45 16, but will go up a size to 225 45 16 when they need changing next.
    Honda's Finest Hour

James,

I'm no good with the maths, but you will need to check the sizes / balance front to rear. If you go bigger at one end without the other, you could change the balance of the car but also, if significant, you could confuse the TC and find all sorts of problems.

IMO, given the mileage you do, I would stay with OEM sizes at both ends. You have a great original NSX, keep it that way.

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Thanks Paul, I understand the balance issues when going up a size the rears to 255 40 17 & then going up a size the fronts to 225 45 16 to balance them out, which I will do when the fronts have worn out. Would going up 1 cm or 10mm in each rear make that much difference to balance?

I did'nt think there will be an issue with the TCS, whether I for the time being stick to 215 45 16 fronts & upgrade rears to 255 40 17s OR in the future, upgrade fronts to 225 45 16s as with both combos, the actual heights have not changed at all (seen the other thread about TCS problem due to same size fronts & rears).

Also out of two rear tyre choices I'm proposing (255 40 17s), which do people prefer?

Goodyears F1 GSD3s 94Y V Bridgestone REO40 DZ NSX 94Y

Alot of people rated highly the Goodyears as grip is excellent especially in the wet & last the longest in wear terms V Bridgestones OEM from 02+ variant. I have RE010s at rears at present, but there near the TWI, but no one is stocking them anymore!

Any advise would be most welcome
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 13-11-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    Honda's Finest Hour

How long do you reckon you have left on the fronts? You could try a cheaper set of rears, like Avon, or Khumo and then when the rears are gone change all 4 for a matching set?

7. Default

Have you considered Toyo T1-Rs? Cheap enough and IMO more than capable enough.

ETA. Try camskill. They will deliver nationwide and offer the best prices I could find.

I have just ordered on Camskill.com too. I am going to try some Falken FK542 225/45/16 on the front to see how they fare. They are about the same price as T1-Rs around 60 squids each.

I will feed back later in the year.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

James, I've used Toyo T1Rs all round in the sizes you propose, no problems at all, wear probably not quite as good as the GY but they are cheaper. Only issue for me was increased steering effort esp. in town - but not problem in PAS cars.

Cheers,

Graham
    '93 Sebring Silver : sadly now sold
    '93 Range Rover LSE : now LPG so 11mpg not so bad. If I replace any more parts it'll be a new car.
    '07 Landie Defender 110 SW XS: heated seats!!! they'll be asking us to wash it next....
    '96 MX5 : project car
    '09 Honda XL125V : new hobby

The Toyos seem popular and good value. The only thing is they don't last as long as GY F1 GSD3 and some say they may last half of the GY? So may spend more now since they last longer in the long run. Ary, the fronts will last me the next set of rears I change to. Was thinking of maybe just staying to 245 rather upping to 255 for now as may keep the fronts 215, without upping them to 225!? If I do change to GY the load is 91Y for 245, which is the same as the BS, so this should'nt affect balance? The 255 are 94Y, so probably will affect the whole balance. Why is it on the 02+, its 215 fronts and 255 rears, then some say it will affect overall balance if I upgraded rears to 255, but keep 215 on 94+ wheels? I'm all balance out now !! :think: Oh do GY make 215 45 16 or 255 45 16?
    Honda's Finest Hour

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast