Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell can it be.

Default What the hell can it be.

My car has started making a horrible intermittent noise from the front end somewhere. It is very difficult to describe but it is a sort of staccato screeching sound, a bit similar to a slipping fan belt.

Its not as though there is an awful lot under the bonnet that could cause this noise which lasts for about 10 seconds or so then stops. It only seems to do it when driving, I cant get it to do it while I am looking under the bonnet so I am unable to pinpoint exactly.

The only other thing I can tell you is that it started today after I had to break sharply to avoid someone pulling out of a side turning and being wet this morning, the ABS cut in for split second.
    Paul said it has made this noise before on occasion but it hasn't done it in the last 2 weeks.
    I have no power steering so that is one less thing it can be and it is definitely coming from under the bonnet area somewhere. I am 99.9% certain its not from the wheels.
    I have a 200 mile round trip to Matt's place planned for Saturday and am a bit worried.
    Has anyone got any ideas please?
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

2. Default screeching noise

mart155,

could the noise possibly be small stone in your front discs ? hope is of help, good luck,

ian.

Thanks for the suggestion Ian but its not that sort of noise. I am pretty certain it is coming from under the bonnet.

ABS pump building up pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    ABS pump building up pressure.
    Does that cause a screeching noise then

welcome to the NSX ABS pump, the loudest pump on the world! yes, it's under the bonnet.... On mine it sounds like you are running over a metal bucket, and dragging it down the road! in fact when it first happened, I stopped and got out to find the bucket! fortunately it doesn't happen that often, but usually goes off just as you are driving past someone who was, until the noise, giving the car admiring looks!

if you find somewhere slippery and 'exercise' the abs the pump will kick in and at least you can then identify the abs noise!

PS... unlike other abs systems, where the pump activates when the abs activates, the NSX system pre-charges itself, so when abs is needed, it doesn't have to wait for a pump to kick in before working!
    Last edited by britlude; 25-10-2007 at 09:42 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    welcome to the NSX ABS pump, the loudest pump on the world! yes, it's under the bonnet.... On mine it sounds like you are running over a metal bucket, and dragging it down the road! in fact when it first happened, I stopped and got out to find the bucket! fortunately it doesn't happen that often, but usually goes off just as you are driving past someone who was, until the noise, giving the car admiring looks!

if you find somewhere slippery and 'exercise' the abs the pump will kick in and at least you can then identify the abs noise!

PS... unlike other abs systems, where the pump activates when the abs activates, the NSX system pre-charges itself, so when abs is needed, it doesn't have to wait for a pump to kick in before working!
    Yes, it is a bloody embarrassing sort of noise so maybe thats it.
    I will give it a try tomorrow and see if I can replicate by engaging the ABS.

I suppose I could always pull the ABS fuse which would either eliminate or prove it is that.
    Now then, another question. Where is the ABS fuse???

abs fuse is in the fuse box under the bonnet... but you shouldn't need to disable it as the pump should only kick in for about 10 seconds. and it shouldn't need the start again for some time, unless you are regularly jumping hard on the brakes.....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Yes is just the accumulator building up pressure.

Normal, some do it more than other.

Cheers,

AR

Thanks guys!

I might just pull the fuse and leave it out for good.
    I HATE ABS anyway, always have done.
    Last edited by mart155; 26-10-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast