Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Targa v Coupe

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    yes I think you are in cuckoo-land if you think a manual NSX will be out-engined by any of those 3 cars.
    I would not propose to enter into a puerile arguement about which is the quickest, rather let the "ring times" and "stig" times speak for themselves.
    I am asking for a reasoned opinion, not prejudice.
    Its my belief that the NSX would be a much more "relaxed" car at speed on B roads compared with my Corvette's, plus the steering wheel position helps, my SL AMG being much more of a GT.
    In terms of luggage capacity, there is obviously no comparison.
    I have looked at a number of NSX's, and would place the SL in 1st position re quality of build/cockpit ambiance etc, and the Corvette last.
    The service requirements of Corvettes are interesting, only oil/filters fluid changes until 100k miles. Perhaps its because at 75mph, its turning over 1600revs.
    All three cars have their strengths and appeal to differing requirements, the NSX is just the one car that I have allways yearned for, and its my intention to grow old disgracefully.
    I currently have my eye on a number of late series cars, what is involved in hardware upgrading to "R" spec, and at what cost, indeed is there any point, the base car being good enough anyway.
    Reasoned opinions please, not red mist prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I currently have my eye on a number of late series cars, what is involved in hardware upgrading to "R" spec, and at what cost, indeed is there any point, the base car being good enough anyway.
    Hi again,

IMO, there is nothing wrong with the NSX straight from the factory. To upgrade to R spec can cost as much or as little as you want depending on how far you wish to pursue the end result.

To upgrade to NSX-R spec you would be looking for the following changes;

External appearance
    - CF bonnet
    - CF rear spoiler
    - Lower rear diffusor OEM or CF
    - Black mirrors
    - Refinish wheels to white or grey
    - Paint (or wrap) the top to black
    - Set of R badges
    - remove front fog lights

Internal
    - guage set (only available in KPH)
    - CF seats
    - CF door peices and console
    - Gear knob and gaitor

Aero
    - front bumper under tray
    - Front bonnet duct
    - batteru undertray

Mechanical
    there are many changes here, such as full suspension change including as anti-roll bars and stiffening bars. Many fit just the ARB's and stiffening bars, considering the full suspension to unforgiving for UK roads. Others include final drive changes and brakes discs / pads

There are a number of other weight reduction changes like removing one of the glass panels between the cabin and engine bay, removing a/c, stereo as examples.

You can improve the breathing and release a small amount of extra performance with exhuast and inlet changes.

Summary
    As you can see, a lot you can do. All depends on what you want to acheive and depth of pockets. For example, you could swap the bonnet for as little as £1500 painted to £7000 if you choose OEM. Seats alone could cost £10000 as bespoke to the NSX-R and Honda have recovered the original moulds from Recaro to prevent replica's being made.

IMO, any of the above will tune the car to your liking. I have done a number of these and now have a fairly unique NSX. Most of the mods I have carried out are through use of OEM parts, with the originals retained so I could return to near OEM set-up if the need arrises. I've gone this route on the basis the Honda spends a lot of money on R&D so their parts will fit, look good and be functional.

One final thought - I have no knowledge of your skill behind the wheel, but without question, the best modification you can make for any car, the NSX included, is good quality driver training to understand what the NSX is doing around you, and what you could do working with it.

Hope this helps

regards, Paul
    Last edited by Senninha; 14-10-2007 at 01:40 PM.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

3. Default

From peoples experience, the R mods do seem to make a difference. As the difference between standard and an 'R' is well quite a lot imo.
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

4. Default

You can source a replica bonnet and rear spoiler for not much. The wheels are very expensive, due to the rarity, but once that is all done you'd have to look hard not to think it's a Type R. Personally i think the 'upgrades' only work on a few colours though.

Get a set of Nitrons/Ohlins and the Type stiffening bars and ARBs on and it will be as quick too.
    '02 Honda NSX [Garage Queen]
    '17 Huracan Performante [Weekend Car]
    '19 Porsche Macan [Daily]

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Fenn View Post
    You can source a replica bonnet and rear spoiler for not much. The wheels are very expensive, due to the rarity, but once that is all done you'd have to look hard not to think it's a Type R. Personally i think the 'upgrades' only work on a few colours though.

Get a set of Nitrons/Ohlins and the Type stiffening bars and ARBs on and it will be as quick too.
    Cheap parts = cheap parts IMHO.

Get your 02 plus wheels powdercoated as int the "custom program" and you'll be hard pressed tell them appart.

Drive the car first before changing the suspension, going hard for that extra few track seconds, might not be worth the compromised for a street car. My wife was not happy in the NSX-R and that was the softer NA1.

If you want a car to be quicker in straight line, try to source a comptech supercharger. If you wanted quicker around the bends, then get ready to spend money.

The NSX-R is a synergistic package.

Cheers,

AR

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    So have you bought a late NSX, something else or simply not made a decision?

If you are still on track to buy an NSX, is the above info what you were looking for?

regards,
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Hi David and welcome,

There are a number of threads both on this forum and the American NSXPrime.com forum that discuss this issue in detail.

The purest will all tell you the T is one thing, the T owners another.

I moved from an S2k and previously an Elise. I like open top motoring. I wanted the same for my NSx so the decision was made.

I have been told (but dont know as a self researched fact) that the 3.2 T benefits from a stiffer shell that is actually better than the early coupe.

I did drive both 3.0 & 3.2 coupes before finding my 3.2T. For the usage you are proposing I would recommend the 3.2T. Your main problem now will be finding one!

HTH, Paul
    Dear Paul,

How recent a build date can one get in a Targa model?

Regards,

David

David,

The latest I know of is the recently purchased 03 Imola Targa. With the low number of registrations of 3.2 Targa my original comment about finding one still stands.

If you are not fussed for the 3.2 however, you should move VERY quickly and buy the Red 3.0 T from Mr Spanners (Phil). It is an absolute beauty!!

regards, Paul
    Senninha

I'm sure that a chap called Peter was selling his 55 plate Targa on here and Piston Heads...it was silver/grey with blue leather!!

Is that late enough...
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Unregistered Guest

Default Targa v coupe

The silver car in question is a coupe, not a targa.
    I have looked at it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast