Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JAPS Show 2007 (Mix of Japanese Cars)

Default JAPS Show 2007 (Mix of Japanese Cars)

Just got home after enduring a proper 'English summer day' soaking at the JAPS show held at Thoresby Park in Notts.

I actually arrived late and as I drove onto the grounds the Honda section was being judged... so, I snook into the enclosure at the last minute and bagged 'Best Honda' which was a bit of a shock to say the least!!! Pleased to say the car still looked clean despite the torrential rain on the way there!

My P&J...

You can see my girlfriend Beckie, poking out from the left hand side... I think she was getting upset about the amount of attention the car was getting!!!

Oh, there was one other NSX there which belonged to SorePaws (Mike) but he left before I had chance to photograph his car!

More to Follow....
    Last edited by Mr_Spanners; 19-08-2007 at 08:11 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. —Dilbert.

WOW Look... It's one of those Veilside NSXs!!!

(Only Kidding!!!)

Stunning Corolla AE86... should have won Best in Show but....

This won instead. Gull Wing doors, BIG ICE install and def. Max Power worthy (22k spent!)

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. —Dilbert.

The Venue!

Hmmmm... no comment!

My old DC2... still being looked after by its new owner!!!

Smile

Wow Phil,

can't get over that engine bay! All those hours have certainly payed off.
    Glad you got best Honda, great result. The car looks awesome.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

car looks mint. well done.

DC2 volks suit
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Wow Phil,

can't get over that engine bay! All those hours have certainly payed off.
    Glad you got best Honda, great result. The car looks awesome.

Cheers,

James.
    I second that! Please spill the beans on your engine bay cleaning process. The result looks great!

Car looking in great condition as always

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Only the gold wheels missing.

Joking aside, the car looks brand new!!!!!

engine bay valeting secrets please.

SS

Wow! I needed my shades to look into your mint engine bay! Must be the cleanest bay going! Well done on being judged "Best Honda in Show"
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

I'm afraid there's no quick-fix or easy way to detail the engine bay. I've done a few now and found some methods and products that work well. My NSX still has a fair bit of work to do to make it concours but it's superficially OK.

Products

AutoGlym Engine & Machine Cleaner (Spray Detergent) and some old toothbrushes
    Autosol metal polish
    T-Cut (for restoring painted surfaces)
    Mer Bumper Gel (for black plastics and hoses - contains no silicon)
    Dremel - with various stripping and polishing bits
    Inox M6 Stainless steel allen bolts and washers
    Zymol Japon Wax (painted surfaces)

Method

1) Remove everything you can easily (air box, strut brace, hoses, clips, brackets etc)

2) Identify rusty bolts and brackets. Repaint brackets and replace non-load bearing bolts with stainless and replace or refurb others.

3) Clean all painted surfaces. May need T-Cut to remove years of crud! Wax\Polish surfaces to original shine

4) Section off the engine bay into workable areas (maybe 12"x12") and only work on that area. If something is dirty\rusty clean or replace. Using the Auto Glym Engine and Machine cleaner with a toothbrush works wonders!!! Remember to just concentrate on the area you've marked out - don't move on until that section is completly done. I've not had to replace anything on the 'X' apart from bolts - I'm sure many cars will be the same.

I never use pressure washers, steam or strong (paraffin based) detergents to clean a bay. Others may do this to save time and effort but they are very harsh and abrasive... I wouldn't want it getting into where there are gaskets and seals!!!

How long did it take you and how much would you charge for mine?

SS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast