Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust tips...

SS,

I'm sure someone more technical than I will chip in, but essentially what you are looking to do is allow the gasses to flow IN and OUT as freely as possible.

The sound can be tuned if your exhaust provider is skilled enough, so there is no need to have a socially unacceptable exhaust unless you want it. AYK, Kevin has fabricated some inserts to control db's, proving you can have power and less noise.

Mine had the exhaust only for a while, however it wasn't until I changed the inlet side with the airbox and scoop that everything settled down, was smoother and more free revving. Noise levels on mine are close to OEM around town and cruising, but much more interesting and exotic sounding when playing

The question to ask yourself is 'do I want more performance or just a cosmetic improvement?' Answer this and you will know whether to install a system or simply change the OEM tips.

HTH

Regards, Paul

PS - just remembered ... aren't you canging the headers to 3.2's? If yes then you will probably opt for a system. If going this route it may be worth asking H&S how much to install headers at the same time as a new tail section.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

So 'inserts' don't reduce the power gain??

I would like power gain, improved cosmetic tweak with little increase in db with minimal financial damage (don't we all!!!!!) .

I was planning to visit H&S this week anyway. Cheers Paul!

I have a date with our private mechanic soon anyhow regarding the headers.

SS :think:

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    The sound can be tuned if your exhaust provider is skilled enough, so there is no need to have a socially unacceptable exhaust unless you want it. AYK, Kevin has fabricated some inserts to control db's, proving you can have power and less noise.
    Paul I think that less noise equals, less flow which equals less power, if not F1 cars will have mufflers.

YMMV

Cheers,

AR

4. Default

I have just installed Dali side scoop - not as much more noise as I thought but definitely made the the engine a bit louder and deeper.
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

It's not always the case that a free flowing exhaust always means more torque.

Top end torque usually does increase, where the highest amount of gases will be flowing. However engines are designed and tuned to have the exhaust they originally come with. Essentially we are changing the exhaust without changing the engine. To get the absolute best, you would also be replacing cams, or porting heads etc as well.

Mid-range torque can suffer as a result of a free flowing exhaust. Look at header design. For four cylinder cars, its possible to get 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers. These have different mid range characteristics.

Two NSXers here have stated to me, that they have lost mid range torque as a result of putting headers and very simple (loud) free flowing exhausts.

Fine if you have a race car, which spends all its time at the red line.

I've had very loud. It's tedious. It's also a bit naff/chavvy. It is so much better now I've controlled the noise. It's had some of its class restored.

ps. There is a system for Cerbera's by Silverstone Performane, who's noise output is 98dB, that's 4-9dB less than standard. It also made more power on a dyno test than standard.
    Last edited by forumadmin; 01-08-2007 at 07:03 AM.

Kevin,

On my 99 3.2 and the NSX-R ( Both with headers, one OEM one Mugen ) I felt ( subjective ) a minute loss in tq before 4000 rpms. Perhaps what happens as well is that as the engine will rev better people are leaving the right foot down a touch more than needed to move fwd and thus think there is less power.

Both designs were similar in having testpipes going to individual banks, the GT-Rom was better than the Tubi.

Now with the 3.0 and a freeflowing exhaust is the opposite. Perhaps is the Y pipe that is making the scavenging right, but I have power all the way. The cats were OK as they just passed MOT with me and the garage was amazed at the low levels, so they were not clogged before. All I can think off is the exhaust is optimal to the car. Time will tell or headers will tell once I get them on it. All I know now is that the car is faster than before and it revs nicer too.

Good disscussion on here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showt...t=backpressure

Cheers,

AR

Ary,

did yours pass the cat test at the mot centre or was it tested just for HC and CO - as if the car was never fitted with cats?

Simon I was talking about the MOT.

Some people go freeflow and think they have more power ( they do ) but also sometimes their cats are a bit clogged.

Cheers,

AR

Sorry....stick, wrong end.....

Thanks guys, so If I get new tips, all I need is someone with zorst experience to cut away my OEM tips and weld on the new tips? I assume they must be skilled enough to remove the oval bit without shortening the actual pipe & I assume its a stainless steel system so no corrosion? I don't want those cheap ones with a bolt you tighten up onto the pipe! I will check out Halfords & E gay Ary, strange site for tips, thought your system is a 3.0?! I assume it would have to be stainless & high metal grade tips. Dan we have a mini meet to show me your tips when you get your baby sorted out after the Ring!
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 01-08-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast