Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17th July - Silverstone Track evening

It's the weather. Unless there is going to be a really good chance of it being proper summer weather, there's no point putting on the RE070's.

I don't know if my car problems are down to alignment, the suspension equipment/combination or the tyres. At the speeds I was going at, I don't think the suspension itself would be a major factor.

Afterwards Kare's tyres are noticeably softer and stickier in feel. Mine are hard and cold.

Tyres can only handle a few heat cycles before they go off and become hard. My racing instructor told me that he replaces tyres after 8 cycles, not because they wear out but becuase they go hard and lose grip. Road tyres and especially the cheaper ones will take less cycles than the expensive ones.

I'm also going to need to replace my dampers soon. While working on the car recently, I can see the dampers are corroding badly. They are TEIN aluminium units. The corrosion is not just surface corrosion or under the anodising. It is eating away at the material. After brushing off the corrosion it can be seen there's .5mm if metal gone in places.

So the long process of choosing a new suspension begins, as well as opening the wallet once again. Maybe the safest one to go for is the Type-R, at least I'll be getting OEM quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Kevin, I thought you were back on the RE070's from the R?
    regards, Paul
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
    Nope. ...the Toyo's are up front. F1s are worn behind. Toyo were the best tyres I can find for my 15" miniscule wheels.

SS
    Which toyo's Kare? I could only find track-day tyres for the 15's. I couldn't find Eagle's at all for my 16" rears! (how do you do it?)
    Steve.

Toyo T1R 205/50/15
    GY F1 225/50/16

You can get them via www.Event-Tyres.co.uk/Tyres
    or Blackcircles.com

The former is a mobile van and puts them on for you.

SS
    Last edited by Silver Surfer; 19-07-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Wink closet opens a touch

Bryan did me a hug favour

Well, well, well. So that's how you get things done at a drop of a hat or other garment?

Could it be, in my lowly and humble opinion, that the stiff front set-up caused the understeer and not so much the tyres?

Mo
    speed on track is indirectly proportional to the value of your car

It's hard to say. The car has been perfectly neutral for ages now. The understeer has crept in with the new diff. The new anti-roll bars should induce oversteer. I guess not enough.

I have some stiffer rear springs I can put in. At least it won't cost anything to try. I'm just hoping I won't be turning the car into a drift special.

With some better alignment and new tyres it should come good in the end.

Otherwise I start using the CRV on wet track days.
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12