Thread: Valve clearance, drive belts & coolant

Default Valve clearance, drive belts & coolant

Please I need advise since as part of every 24,000 miles or 24 months service are the following jobs:

Inspecting valve clearance, is the the same as the tappets? is this normally checked for wear & need adjusting if outside the tolerences?

Inspecting/adjust the drive belts, what are they? Are they the cambelts or alternator or water pump belt?

Changing the coolant, Is this a simple job I can do myself rather than get HUK to do it? Regardless of low usage, I assume you should change to due heat & degrades with use?

I'm worried that HUK will rip me off & do unecessary work since my Service history is out of sink since I do under 2000 miles pa.

Thanks alot. :think:
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 14-06-2007 at 11:23 PM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne View Post
    Please I need advise since as part of every 24,000 miles or 24 months service are the following jobs:

Inspecting valve clearance, is the the same as the tappets? is this normally checked for wear & need adjusting if outside the tolerences?
    Tappets is a term that is used but in your engine you have OHC's and the clearances are adjusted by a screw/locknut on the rocker arm. With low mileage I doubt if they are out and slightly loose clearances are not the biggest issue. However re-sale is going to hang on your service book.

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/va..._clearance.htm

Inspecting/adjust the drive belts, what are they? Are they the cambelts or alternator or water pump belt?
    All of the above.

Changing the coolant, Is this a simple job I can do myself rather than get HUk to do it? Regardless of low usage, I assume you should change to due heat & degrades with use?
    Yes you could do it yourself but it is not worth it IMO if you are going to get a service as its dirt cheap. By the time you have drained 'x' litres of coolant and re-filled it properly without getting any airlocks in the system your time will have been better spent!

I'm worried that HUK will rip me off & do unecessary work since my Service history is out of sink since I do under 2000 miles pa.

Thanks alot. :think:
    Your service book caters for low mileage as lots of stuff is age related, i.e belt changes/adjustment as rubber perishes and tensions are lost. Find a better dealer and talk to them would be my advice.

HTH
    Guardian of 'POB'

Has Chewy departed then reg?
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietOne View Post
    Has Chewy departed then reg?
    Looks like he is off Monday. I cant even have a final weekend as I am off to Mondello Park tomorrrow

Will post a goodbye when he goes.
    Guardian of 'POB'

Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    Looks like he is off Monday. I cant even have a final weekend as I am off to Mondello Park tomorrrow

Will post a goodbye when he goes.
    Shame - it was nice having you as an owner bringing different kinds of technical knowledge to the pot! Probably best you go cold turkey it will just make you realise what a bad decision you have made now it is too late .
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Sad is gone mate, but wait and see, you just might come back to the fold.

Cheers,

AR

all the best Reg pal
    THE POWER OF DREAMS.

Brakes are no good- they just slow you down
    (Juan Manuel Fangio)

Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.
    (Gordon Murray)

Cherioh Chewy!

Reg, always sorry to hear people parting with the NSX. I'm sure you enjoyed it (even more with working brakes ).

Hope you keep in touch on the forum and maybe see you at an event or 2? Your informative posts will be missed if you dont visit from T2T.

Is Chewy off to a forum member or haveyou at least given the new keeper the details?

All the best my friend

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Cheers for the comments guys, he hasn't gone yet! Although its just a matter of money changing hands.

When he goes on Monday I will post up with some thoughts and the next project
    Guardian of 'POB'

Thanks alot Reg & much appreciated. I am very sorry Chewy has been sold, which I now worked out is your X and it will be sorely missed. I hope to keep mine for a very long time to come, which is incidentally the same year & colour as yours, sorry this is no consolation! I hope you stay in the forum as your techincal knowledge would be sorely missed. Regards & good luck in the future. James
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 14-06-2007 at 11:38 PM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour