Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: every day use ?

1. Default every day use ?

Newby question i am afraid !!

I have always liked the NSX and wondered if it is as usable as people say, i do 30 plus miles per day and whilst its mixed motoring sometimes i can sit in a jam for a while.

I guess in theory every car can be used every day but im sure you understand my point of view, also what if any annoying faults do the early cars have, as this my expected price range.

regards to all that have helped so far with my prattlings

From a driving point of view absolutely. Visibility is excellent, the driving position perfect and all the controls are well weighted. The steering is on the slow side for my liking, but you get used to it.

What you might have to bear in mind, though, is that running costs can be high. My 3.2 will drink petrol for Britain if I drive friskily, it will also consume the OEM tyres at an alarming rate (I got something like 3500 miles out of my last set of rear tyres). Parts prices are astronomical, most owners source things from the USA because of that. However servicing doesn't seem ridiculous so far, and the insurance wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Someone with more NSX owning experience will hopefully be along to say something more helpful!

3. Default

Emphatically yes. I like to think of the NSX as "the thinking mans 911"

"What the devil does he mean?"

Well, much has been espoused of what a great all round / sensible / useable / reliable machine the 911 is, how it represents the pinnacle of its breed. I beg to differ - the NSX is better looking, better built, cheaper to run, more reliable (oh yes it is!). If you don't need the rear 'seats' :roll: and sitting 10" lower doesn't bother you then an NSX is the way forward. Round these parts the 911 is far too ubiquitous for my liking too - and NSX is different, which in my book is always a good thing.

Admittedly I don't use mine every day, but even so I've managed to cover 15k miles in 15 months. Not a problem. not a murmour, not a squeak, just 2 services costing a total of £400 and some new tyres.

Sitting in traffic? Wonderfully comfortable seats, great driving position, decent climate control, adequate stereo. And the clutch is light (just don't ride it). Not it's raison d 'etre but perfectly capable without TVR style histrionics.

Only potential worry is milage affected residuals, but the NSX takes milage far better than just about anything else in its class - buyers tend to know that these cars are built with 100k+ lifespans a given so don't be put off by 70k on the clock. As is so often the case, condition and provenance are key.

4. Default

thanks for the replies guys, all info is gratefully received.

Best i start saving for the tyres (aswell as the car) that im sure im likely to use, do the fronts last forever then ??

I also noticed details of tuning parts, is tinkering frowned upon or is it a case of each to his own. Remembering this issue from my lotus days there seemed to be as many that though improvements were good as well as those who thought it bad ??

regards

peter

5. Default 3500 miles on the rear tyres ?

Hi damiam.w
    3500 miles for the rear tyres dosent seem alot I had my new GP white nsx in march this year I have done 7000 miles and there good for at least 1500 miles. is there something your doing that Im not ? they come with dunlop 8070 nigel

Default Re: 3500 miles on the rear tyres ?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie:one
    Hi damiam.w
    3500 miles for the rear tyres dosent seem alot I had my new GP white nsx in march this year I have done 7000 miles and there good for at least 1500 miles. is there something your doing that Im not ? they come with dunlop 8070 nigel
    Think you're on wider Dunlop something-or-others though? Mine is on Yoko A048. Next time round I'm going to switch to something harder wearing.

Don't think I'm driving particularly hard.

My car lives outside, is used daily and I leave it parked at the station daily as well. I have had it for 18 months and so far not even a niggle apart from possibly the heater doesn't demist as quickly as it could but that could be down to being a Singapore import. I think the economy is OK and very good considering the performance - about 23 or so I think. It is comfotable, quiet and very civilised IMHO - even compared to some sports saloons.

As mine is quite an older car '95 and worth about 20K I would expect to loose less money than a most newer cars which should make up for the cost of parts. I have only needed a water pump so far although that was pricey and have done about 20K miles I think (I think I may need to shell out for the compliance adjusters eventually though). The servicing is pretty cheap too apart from the cam belt one but that is every 6 years or 60K miles I think.

My rear tyre wear isn't as bad as I was expecting either, although it is not great, about 8000 miles I think.

Go for it, I haven't been disappointed at all.

Michael.

8. Default

Peter,

I've had my '98 NSX for about a month now and have been amazed at how useable it could be as an everyday car. 85000 miles and no rattles so far and everything seems to work.

My concerns regarding everyday use would be: 1)Car park scrapes/malicious damage - I wouldn't take mine down to the local supermarket etc. 2) Insurance could be much higher if not on a limited mileage policy or insured as a 2nd or 3rd car. 3) MPG. I haven't found this much of a problem yet (done about 800 miles so far) - I can easily trundle along in 6th gear at 30mph if need be. All depends how much you hoon it! 4) I think the same thing goes for tyres. Although reading some earlier posts here, if you do eat the tyres, decent cheap replacements from Kumho etc. can be had which are < half the price of the big names.. 5) Everyday use will mean more frequent servicing, which can be quite reasonable by all accounts, just make sure you don't skip the 6000 mile services otherwise the resale value will shrink - take this into consideration when/if you buy one. Short journeys aren't supposed to be good for any car.

All in all, I think the NSX is a surprisingly excellent and rare supercar, that can be used everyday, although I would be tempted to have a second car for supermarket trips and times when driving any car, let alone a supercar, is no pleasure at all eg. commuting.

My advice would be to go for it, but to take your time. Age and mileage don't seem that important, but always look at the service history (receipts as well as stamps) and check out a few examples as there are a few baddies out there!

Matt

9. Default

Well you can use it everyday but I don't although I like to take it into work once a week just to keep it turning over. As others have said it's a doddle to drive in traffic - in my case 25 miles into central Birmingham - but I have a secure car park to leave it in - I'd never leave it outside. In Birmingham it would be coined in no time. As someone said to me - it's really an A to A car isn't it.
    Ferrari 550 Maranello in Rosso Corsa
    Kawasaki ZZR 1200
    KTM 400 EXC

10. Default

I do 75 miles a day return trip from Stansted-ish into central london in my 1 year old car. No problems at all. Happy to leave it on the street or wherever. 27 mpg in mixed use. Tyre wear is a bit silly but it would be better if I could refrain from using all the grip when appropriate (ahem).

The only niggle: the radio has RDS but no EON so if you're listening to radio 1 you can't get the traffic from bbc london etc.

Yes it really is an everyday car!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast