Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some track day footage

Really?

Redline is at 8000, and limiter has always been at 8300. I didn't think 3.2s were any different. Over 8k and getting close to 9k is not good for the oil pump, which is made from recycled tin can metal.

I have a shift light still to fit, another one of those things I bought years ago. It's moved up the list of priorities now though.

These are not numbers visited frequently, particularly as mine delivers peak power earlier in the rev range. In fact, since the mods, best changes are 7600 as there is little to be gained by holding on for longer.

regards,
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I agree Kevin, the 3.2's are limited to 8300rpm (mine looks more like 8200) just like the 3.0's

Paul, I would suggest that you've either got a reprogrammed or completely differant ECU fitted to your car OR a rev counter that overreads.

I wouldn't like to say that a stock motor is safe at 8700rpm even if the ECU will let it?
    The usual weak point (not necessarily with the NSX) is rod bolts that stretch at these high revs... the result a little while later is not nice

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    These are not numbers visited frequently, particularly as mine delivers peak power earlier in the rev range. In fact, since the mods, best changes are 7600 as there is little to be gained by holding on for longer.

regards,
    If I changed up at 7600 the 3.2's start to escape:p

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

The weak point with the NSX is the oil pump. I'm planning on getting a Dali billet one, when they are back in stock.

6. Default

Thanks for the vid Kevin, a good watch and nice to see all those common porkaz being eaten up mmm crackling.

Oil pumps aside I was once told that a DC2 ITR engine is revved to 13,000rpm on the block in the factory so screaming them to 9000 shouldn't be a problem.

Surely the NSX engine would have been tested in a similar fashion??

Or was I just naive and ready to lap up a load of bs!?

anyway, nice vid Thanks

L*
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

Quote Originally Posted by Lankstarr View Post
    Oil pumps aside I was once told that a DC2 ITR engine is revved to 13,000rpm on the block in the factory so screaming them to 9000 shouldn't be a problem.
    Maybe, but then that's a Type-R engine, and ours aren't.

The weak point with the NSX is the oil pump. I'm planning on getting a Dali billet one, when they are back in stock.
    Please make this a GB when stock is available.

would suggest that you've either got a reprogrammed or completely differant ECU fitted to your car OR a rev counter that overreads.
    I'm unaware of any changes having been made to the ECU. Having made enquiries about doing this I would say it is highly unlikely. I would therefore agree with you Marc, that the guage is being over genorous with its reading.

I was once told that a DC2 ITR engine is revved to 13,000rpm
    That would be one of the benefits of a hand built and blue printed engine

regards,
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Re the Type R/Blueprinted thing, it's not either of these per see. If the components are designed to rev this high it's fine, if they're not then something WILL fail/break.

Personally I very much doubt that a stock DC2 bottom end is good for 13K rpm under load for any length of time! This is into the realms of pure race and motorcycle engine designs which have completely differant internal loads and subsequently differant power delivery characteristics.

Blueprinting (any engine) will add a small margin over the inherant design spec, if you want to go further you need completely differant parts.

W.R.T gear what revs to change up at, if you're after wringing the last once of performance out of almost any car, or indeed bike, you need to change off the limiter to get the most acceleration out of the next ratio.
    This is relatively easy to demonstrate with a graph overlaying engine power (or torque) to gear ratios. Very rarely will the power/torque delivered by the engine overcome the higher gear ratio to deliver as much or more torque to the wheels compared to the the lower ratio at higher revs.

Nice video tho'

Mark

Very impressive Kevin! That was a standard 997 Carerra S, not 4S Porker you were badgering? It seemed to have maybe a sports zorst too? Have you had your X on a Rolling Roll? If so or not, do you know what kind of BHP you are getting and I know you have stripped out your X a little when I had a look at Fest, so do you know its weight? Cheers Wandered if the crack in the windscreen was just enough to stop you overtaking the Porker!?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12