Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polish products ratings

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne
    Kevin, how many hours of grafting, before you re do it again with another layer of wax?
    Sorry, am I missing your point?
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

2. Default

I was talking about Kevin in relation to his post. I am sure there are many members who are experienced with detailing their cars and I appologies if I have trodden on anyones toes. That was not my intention it was to add some support/help as I have done on the S2k forum;

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=471564

I do take my interest very seriously though and I have built up many hours of experience working on paint restoration on many different cars including the NSX. Yes I have been asked several times about doing this full time but TBH its too much like hard work both mentaly and physically. Besides its more fun if its a hobby and you are not relying on it as an income.

Quote Originally Posted by forumadmin
    I didn't do it by hand. I have a PC7424 and Sonus SFX pads. I just take my time!
    I also have a rotary buffer too, I tried using it once before, and it worked well after I wet sanded some repair respray work. However I was really gentle with it as I know damage can be done with a rotary. The PC as you know is a much safer although slower machine.
    Last edited by TangoMan; 09-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Sorry Kevin, it was nearly 2am!! You said the second stage was to put on the glaze, but how long did the first stage take in total? Long since it was a learning process too?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Sorry. I should explain.

I am 'Kevin'. I use two accounts and forget which one is which sometimes. No harm done.

Sorry Kevin, it was nearly 2am!! You said the second stage was to put on the glaze, but how long did the first stage take in total? Long since it was a learning process too?
    I'm in no rush. It's a bank holiday weekend after all. First day's effort was in washing and claying, and polishing. First I had to go out and find a 110v transformer for the machine. Then rewire it.

I also used a final stage polish. A more aggresive compound would of been faster, but without experience I used a finer grade, even though it takes longer.

I got tired by then, so the 2nd day was to glaze, and wax with Zymol of course, and do the interior.

Kevin aka Forumadmin, Doh I now get it, you are one of the same! Sorry I've just realised especially when you replied to my Q of how to change my ID when I joined this club, very embarrest now !! :oops: By the way you do a cracking & brilliant job here and it is very much appreciated by us all here.
    Last edited by TheSebringOne; 09-05-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

By the way you do a cracking & brilliant job here and it is very appreciated by us all here.

oooooooo you apple polisher..........crawling to admin LOL
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

8. Default

Kevin, you can get away with one compound that will do all i.e. cut and polish. The NSX paint is pretty hard compared to the other honda's and is pretty thick, i.e. an S2000 averages 100 microns, the NSX 150 microns and the compounds I have found to get any result on the NSX have to be more agressive. For a NSX that has never had the paintwork restored, you should need to take off no more than 10 microns of clear coat, in fact expect to average 5.

Menzerna as yet I have not managed to get on with, I am with Dave KG and like the Meguiars compounds. The best for the NSX I have found is the Meguiars DACP with a mild cutting pad on the rotary. Allow it to break down completely so you see it dusting then carry on for a little more to allow it to glaze. I can get around the car with the machine within four hours. The rest is down to prepping and sealing.

Tangoman,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Secondly, the photo evidence of your efforts on Ian's NSX suggest to me that you may find your hobbie taking more of your free time.

I have looked into this a few times as my hand cleaner/clay bar/polish regime can only restore so much of the original lustre. However, to date I've not been comfortable with letting someone do the work.

I dont have time (and maybe you dont either) to let you loose on my NSX this side of the Jamesfest event but rest assured, at some point in the future I will be in touch to request your services.

All the best and BTW, lovely looking S2k you have!

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

10. Default

Thanks for your kind words Paul, it is a hobby that takes up way too much time, just ask the missus. Although She is very understanding, appreciates what is involved and the advantages; she has seen very little of me for the past few month due to me subsidising my new toy. We are off on Holiday for a couple of weeks now driving the S through Spain so a bit of quality time When we get back though it is back to the same routine, I am taking bookings now for July!!!

I am impressed with the NSX paintwork; there is little orange peel effect, the paint is a level thickness across the car and has been layered very well. It goes to show what Honda can do when they put their minds to it.

Somewhere around here Neil mentions a washmitt, that and some proper drying towels with a quality wax is all you really need to maintain your car once the paint is sorted.

Any of you guys going this year to the JAE?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123