Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peeling clear coat, respray needed.

Default Peeling clear coat, respray needed.

Hi all,
    My poor old car has been suffering badly over the past 2 years with peeling/flaking clear coat and it is really bad over the whole rear end of the car.
    The only solution is a total respray.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who could do it and how much do you think it might cost.
    Unfortunately following redundancy a couple of years back and fast approaching retirement age, I am worried that I might not be able to afford it and will have no option but to sell it as a project for someone else to do.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    M
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

it's only the clear coat, it doesn't stop you driving the car and enjoying it. i know it's irritating, but not a reason to sell it!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    it's only the clear coat, it doesn't stop you driving the car and enjoying it. i know it's irritating, but not a reason to sell it!
    Jonathan makes a good point. It’s only aesthetics. The mechanical/electrical health is the most important thing. If you do need some paintwork, I’d suggest finding a good paint shop, then getting some nearby club members to help you dismantle the rear bumper and anything else you need to strip. There is a reasonable amount of labour in assembly and disassembly.
    On the plus side, if you intend on owning it over the long term. There’s no rush to get things done, just take your time and enjoy it when you get the chance. This is coming from someone who used to drive a lot and has only done 2k miles in nearly 5 years.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

There are a lot of good body shops out there that will be able to match the paint these days, so I doubt you would need the entire car resprayed ( be careful, my car went in for a respray and I got carried away........ see my build thread).

There is no harm in getting a few quotes.

On the other hand, I know what it is like to drive an NSX that doesn't quite look its best, and even back then , it still had a lot of admirers. Cosmetics are nice, but mechanicals and electrical are far more important .

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

To throw another idea into the mix, how about a vinyl wrap? Will be less than half the cost of a decent respray and you could also benefit by wrapping it in a faster colour ��

Surface really needs to be pretty good for a wrap to work.

Might get away with a matt black rat-look?
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Combine the wrap and the rat-look: How about a rusty, patina’d steel wrap for the complete double bluff?

I like that!

Surface irregularities wouldn't matter.

Actually, I found a brushed ally wrap, so you could look like one of those German-car lessees who could only afford the primer coat with the black wheels:

https://www.wrapdirect.com/brushed-s...inyl-with-adt/
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post

I like that!

Surface irregularities wouldn't matter.

Actually, I found a brushed ally wrap, so you could look like one of those German-car lessees who could only afford the primer coat with the black wheels:

https://www.wrapdirect.com/brushed-s...inyl-with-adt/
    The "deLorean" look??
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Indeed - I was thinking badly-neglected Caterham (or naked NSX) but DeLorean is more apposite!
    Nick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast